Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:11 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned [url=http://www.news2me.com]News2me[/ur]. News2me offers varying services and has a very intuitive web based service. As a user of Easynews and News2Me I can say the News2Me is the better of the two in terms of easy of use and general mojo.

Easynews has been around for years but News2Me is an up and coming competitor.

$10/mo for 50GB of transfer is a great deal. (1.67gb/day)[/url]

Postby dumwaldo » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:39 pm

how long is the retention on news2me?

do you get a legitimate NNTP server as well as web access?

i must admit it looks interesting so maybe they will get $10 out of me to give it a try but easynews really is a tough package to compare to.

peace out,
dumwaldo
dumwaldo

Postby hcteks » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:06 am

Im also curious if they have nttp service.

But my question is... Is there an advantage to using a web based service? I have read some experienced usenet users raving about it. I haventd ownloaded anything from a web based service myself, and I dont see the draw. I have surfed a few and didnt find it all that great. Just a matter of preference maybe?

-sketch (still waiting admin approval for my username)
hcteks

Postby dumwaldo » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:25 pm

see the thing about web based access is it gives you a few nice advantages.

you can set up a newsreader pointing at your ISP's news server and when you need fills just use the web page for easynews. not all newsreaders 'play well' with multiple servers so this can be nice.

another advantage is being able to WOW people with instant access from any web browser. i know i can go to any computer with internet access and find just about anything on the net virtually immediatley. just yesterday i used my easynews to download the paris hilton video for the guys in the construction office. it took me about 30 seconds to locate it and have it downloading. that was pretty cool since 4 guys looked all day on wedensday and came up empty.

here is another niche benefit to web based usenet access. i carry a pocketPC, i can connect to easynews and download stuff right to my PPC. this is also handy if i just want to check to see if something is posted so i can get excited about going home to download that new movie/game/tv show or whatever it might be.

let me tell you i am a pretty long time usenet user and when i first became familiar with easynews i kinda laughed at the web access but once i had it, i just started finding uses for it left and right. its the kinda thing that you would never miss till after you experience it.

peace out,
dumwaldo.
dumwaldo

Postby Tony » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:42 pm

Verizon's usenet service is awesome for an ISP. I never looked into a Premium service and really don't need to at this time. Completion is always good. Retention is around 6 days and to top it all off they offer unlimited downloads. Not too shabby for a 1.5M connection for 29.99 a month
Tony

Is News2Me Not4You?

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:22 pm

although News2Me looks like a good deal for the money for a web-access news service, it seems to have some shortcomings.

It seems the newsgroups it carries may be limited - as the service offers a selection "from the most popular Usenet groups"

Their retention time is not specified.

They are USA based (in California, home of the MPAA) and keep identifying logs of user information to turn over to authorities. In response to a complaint from a copyright holder "We will then remove the offending article IMMEDIATELY, and forward any and all relevant information to the appropriate federal law enforcement authorities." OUCH!

OctaNews

Postby jmorlan » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:09 pm

I've been beta testing this new service which just went live yesterday. It's from the same people who provide the free BigGulp service. My impression is that it has outstanding completion. Retention is good and increasing. The owner really knows how to do usenet and is very responsive in their forums and via email.

The rates are very reasonable and include unlimited speed-capped accounts and block accounts that do not expire as long as your account remains active. Also there are discounts you can lock in if you register before the end of the year. If you decide to cancel they will prorate a refund (not applicable to block accounts).

I have no relationship with OctaNews except as a satisfied customer and beta tester.

http://www.octanews.com

Tell 'em user # 1049 sent you. :)
jmorlan

What is the best option for me?

Postby Elephant Man » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:44 am

Hi, everyone.

I'm about to sign my first Usenet server ( :shock: ) and I need your help. From everything Ï've heard so far, Easynews is a great option, but I have a doubt: isn't 6Gb a low limit? I mean: how many movies that allows me to watch? (If I was to download movies, which I'm not going to do. :wink: )

Isn't http://news.astraweb.com/ a better option for this?
Elephant Man

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:21 pm

hmm... Elephant Man... http://news.astraweb.com/ looks like the best deal Ive ever Seen... Unlimited downloads on the DSL plan for $15 a month. Very nice. Might leave easynews for that.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:31 am

I live in Australia. I don't think there are any Newsgroup providers in Australia.

I was wondering if i join Giganews or Easynews, what kind of speed am I looking at? Also, what speed do you guys get?

Thanks!

some help

Postby DreamcastER » Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:14 am

hi guys,

Just thought i would throw in my 2 cents. As a usenet user for about 4 years now i can say (without doubt) that in the usenet world you get what you pay for. There are NO better servers than "titan news", supernews, giganews and newsguy - PERIOD. These are the best all round providers. Astraweb and news2me give you much more downloads, but their completion rates are abysmal - i never realized how poor they were until i went BACK to newsguy.

out! :wink:
DreamcastER

Postby M3wThr33 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:17 pm

I've used 3 providers in the listed order:
Verizon DSL provided their own newsgroup service. Free, the only limit is 5 connections max with no caps or limits. The retention and completion is unbelievable and if someone asked, within a day a new group would be added.

I moved apartments and the guys have Comcast. I get usenet access through a Comcast/Giganews partnership. Maybe it's just the free service, but I'm limited to 1GB a month, the retention/completion was REALLY poor and it didn't even have any binary groups. It felt really censored.

That's when I looked into getting AstraWeb. I found it through DSLReports.com and I've been happy. There's been some server trouble, but I'm fine with that. The fact I can live without limits is the best part. The anonymity, completion, etc. is all just a bonus.
M3wThr33

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:00 am

usenetnewserver has been 100% fine for me; I have 0 complaints, and the server has never been down on me; completion is as advertised, retention is a bit lower, but for $15, I am not complaining.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:13 pm

Yet another good link: http://www.AllTheNewsGroups.com/. Free trial accounts and a lookup utility right on the index page to test their retention live.

RT wrote:
ee2000 wrote:Another good link
http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

Thanks for this link - it was the best ranking of usenetservers I've seen.

/RT

Postby bawa@klite_user » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:08 am

Is there any free one?
and Mirc does same job, isnt?
bawa@klite_user

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:37 pm

No free newsgroups that will have binaries.

Although I often hear newsgroups and IRC put in the same bag, they're not really comparable. Newsgroups = SPEED

Postby jmorlan » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:No free newsgroups that will have binaries.
Maybe, but there are many free news-servers that have binaries. I've got 21 free ones on my NewsPlex list right now.
jmorlan

Postby johngalt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:02 pm

I used to look for the free ones all the time back in the day. The problem I find now is that the free ones that I find using three or four different sites never have the groups that *I* want access to - mainly the .cd- groups.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:23 am

I have been using allthenewsgroups.com and they seem to be pretty good. Using the 3-day trial account right now.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:34 am

My experience suggests.... astraweb is more than good enough for my needs... they definitely have the best pricing plan... and I have managed to download all the movie "trailers" I have been after. Been the rare completion error on older posts... but generally service has been excellent. And for the money... you can't quibble. I now want to get an unlimited download plan with them... unfortunately subscriptions have ended till early Feb but as soon as they kick in I will be there.

One other newsgroup provider who looks attractive but a little more expensive is titannews. They do look pretty cool. Would like to give em a try.

Other newsgoup providers have appalling pricing schemes. So what about easynews 25+ days retention... I got an account with them for 6 gigs... and account was used up within about 3/4 days... absolutely useless. I also noticed absolutelu no differences between them and astraweb. They also logged my updating of newsgroups in that 6 gigs. So by the time I had got hold of alt.binaries.x and alt.binaries.boneless. I had used up something like a gig of credit. I won't be trying them again or I'll just use mirc, other means to get files. I would also point out newsgroup providers like Alibis have shitty schemes as well. yes you can download 9 gigs a day... but only 500 megs from their movies server, 500 megs from their picture server... etc etc.. pretty crap when the average movie is 700-1.5 gigs. Won't be using them or newsfeeds either. Their pricing plans suck even if they do provide a great service.

Flippa :twisted:

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:48 am

oh yeah and Grabit rules in my opinion as newsreader client... as an ftp boy... this is the most visual newsreader. My only complaints would be... the search filter should work by filtering as you type into field (which it does in newsgroup section but not when browsing binaries). I also find grabit chokes on alt.binaries.x and alt.binaries.boneless ... I tend to use opnews for them... may just be my computer though, for all other groups I use grabit and love it :) and its free!! 8)

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:03 am

I have been using allthenewsgroups.com and newsbin pro. This combination seems to work great with the new beta of newsbin that supports Message-ID's. It looks like some providers are being indexed at http://www.binnews.com which makes it easy to find the files I am looking for.

As for pricing schemes. Alot of the providers out there are charging for header downloads which is just a waste of your quota. If you can find a provider that does not charge for them, and also supports grabbing articles by message-id's then you are really getting your bang for your buck.

Some of the providers that are out there have the "all-you-can-eat" setup, and this is fine if you are not worried about the quality of service you getting from them. Premium providers like Giganews, Easynews, and Allthenewsgroups offer a priced tier structure because this allows them to provide the highest quality of service to each of their customers.

Lastly, you might want to look at some of the other forums around, because Astraweb and Usenetserver (two of the main unlimited sites), have been having issues for the past few months.

100proofnews.

Postby Loueloui » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:13 pm

:arrow: 100proofnews sucks. They talk a good game, but they can barely even provide a service. Don't be fooled. I subbed and it took me over an hour to download headers on a.b.cd.image, with 5% completion.
Loueloui

I recommend claranews

Postby Cryogenes » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 pm

Claranews has very good completion and is the cheapest on the planet. For example, a 40 GB per month plan costs 70 UK pounds per year.
Speed is capped at 60 kByte/sec per connection but you can have two connections open simultaneously. Reliability is also good, i.e. you actually get the maximum speed. Retention is only 3-4 days, though.

http://www.uk.clara.net/homeaccess/claranews.php
Cryogenes

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:22 pm

Agree about easynews.

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups