Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

P2P television project prepping first public demo

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

P2P television project prepping first public demo

Postby SlyckScratch » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:06 pm

Story : http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20 ... 41402.html

A technology project started by graduate students in the Media Studies department at the University of Texas at Austin, seeks to establish the first 24-hour streaming Internet television feed using newly devised peer-to-peer technology
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Re: P2P television project prepping first public demo

Postby Red_Blue » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:27 am

SlyckScratch wrote:A technology project started by graduate students in the Media Studies department at the University of Texas at Austin, seeks to establish the first 24-hour streaming Internet television feed using newly devised peer-to-peer technology

Nice to see a new technology that is not infested with DRM for a change :!: I hope it will be easy to rip the stream for local backup copies (and other fair use purposes).

Personally I've been advocating replacement of DVB Digital TV with IP based solutions where the BW problem is solved with proxies at ISP L1/L2 boundary (PoP).

This solution would actually be better for many reasons, one being that there would be less costs to the ISPs and more utilization for private housing and community networks for their uncharged BW.
Red_Blue

Return to File-Sharing News