Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Two questions

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Two questions

Postby robnyt » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:02 pm

Before I start I should mention that while I am a 37 year old man, my tech knowledge is that of your average 4 year old :shock:

1) Using K-Lite 2.4.3. Should I upgrade to a more recent version? If so, which?

2) I know the FastTrack system is somewhat looked down upon compared to other applications (BitTorrent, emule, etc). I use KLite because it is just SO SIMPLE. Type file name in search field, hit download and that's it. Is there anything that comes close to being this easy?
robnyt

Postby schnide » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:18 pm

i don't know about the first question because I haven't used Kazaa in a long time, but that's because I've been using Ares. Free of adware/spyware, quick searches and an interface very similar to that of kazaa.
schnide

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:19 pm

yeah try ares!
Ares Lite!
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby zim » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:24 pm

Uninstall kazaa.

Goto http://www.lavasoftusa.com get ad-aware.

Goto http://www.safer-networking.org get spybot.

Run both. Scan. Remove anything they find.

Goto http://www.emule-project.net get emule

goto http://www.shareaza.com get shareaza.

goto http://www.bittornado.com get bit tornado.

Use shareaza for music and smaller files on the g1 and g2 parts of shareaza.

Use emule for movies, games, and other large files.

Use bit tornado for new files of any type.

Sites with torrents.

http://www.isohunt.com http://www.torrentspy.com http://www.thepiratebay.org http://www.snarf-it.org http://www.mininova.org http://www.torrentleech.org

and many others. check slyck for more links.
zim

Re: Two questions

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:29 pm

______________ :roll:
robnyt wrote:
1) Using K-Lite 2.4.3. Should I upgrade to a more recent version? If so, which?

:wink:
But still very helpful
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby _eAgLe_ » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:00 am

robnyt, seeing as your looking for somehting simple, i suggest you uninstall kazaa lite.. You wont have to download those programs like zim said to uninstall it because KaZaA Lite has no spyware or adware, but it would be a good idea to do so anyway because of spyware or adware from other sources...

Anyways, once youve done that, download bearshare, which uses the gnutella network and is VERY SIMPLE to use just like kazaa lite...

http://www.bearshare.com
_eAgLe_

Postby zim » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:09 am

Most users of kazaa lite had kazaa at one point.

its a good idea to scan for spyware.

everyone should have those 2 programs at all times anyway.
FINE! downloading *IS* stealing. I still don' t care. I'm still going to do it. And laugh while i do!
zim

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:16 am

Psycho Ced wrote:yeah try ares!
Ares Lite!

I would agree with that.

@robnyt If you're looking for a simple replacement to K-lite and the fasttrack network, Ares is proabably the most similar to use in many respects.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Assyrian » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:39 am

i'd have to say ares aswell..
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby LxBeast » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:47 am

I'd have to say Ares or Limewire.

[Worth grabbing PeerGuardian 2 for a little extra security if you don't have it already...]
LxBeast

Postby Assyrian » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:49 am

do what the beast says ^^
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby robnyt » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:09 pm

First off, thanks for all the responses. Looking back on all the answers can I assume that everyone is agreed that Ares is better than KLite BUT similar and just as easy?
robnyt

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:25 pm

yup! :D similar and just as easy"

...plus, a network that is still fairly clean, with few fakes, virus, etc.

I recommed you download AresLite, which is less of ahog on resources. Ares has a whole set of features you don't really want, because I assume you use Windows Media Player or something similar to play your files, so no need to fill up precious space with a p2p program that wil play the files for you!

by the way, Limewire is very straight-forward too.

so is e-donkey. You need to get familiar with verified sites (that is, sites that list links to the files, which e-donkey or e-mule will download after a simple click). You can check both the guides to your left, and the list of top ED2K (e-donkey 2000) sites, also to your left on this page.

All these programs require very little baby-sitting. You start the download, leave it alone, come back after a while, and find your files!
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Assyrian » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:27 pm

All these programs require very little baby-sitting. You start the download, leave it alone, come back after a while, and find your files!

thats only for edonkey :lol:
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:16 pm

you think ares and bt require babysitting? :?
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:21 pm

No! He means that you go away, like on vacation, then you come back and your edonkey files might be complete.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:27 pm

If you're referring the author of the quote, then "he" is me... :roll:

...and I'm a girl!

and, what I meant is you leave it and then come back... how much later you come back will of course differ

...Although at present I'm download from bt (with azureus) and experiencing no super-speeds...
Mrs. 2p

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:43 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
No! HE = Assyrian, (whom was mastaken for being a girl by JohnGalt :twisted: ) :oops:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Assyrian » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:15 pm

shhhh please, dont bring that back up. :oops:
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:08 am

:oops:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby robnyt » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:32 am

OK, two more questions.

1) The guide says Ares is really good for audio files. I use this system almost only for video. Is it still my best option?

2) What about http://www.kceasy.com/
robnyt

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:50 am

kceasy is ok, it connets to various neworks, and I hear people are pretty happy with it. However, I believe you'll find ares more resourceful.

Ares can also be used -succesfully- for large files such as video files. SO you could give it a go.

However, for videos, edonkey is the best for variety (slow, but if you're not n a hurry, you know you'll eventually get your files... n good quality) and bittorrent is great for speeds (though you're only bound to find recent releases on that network, since files rarely stay on there for very long). Check the guides on the left for more information. Essentially, once you set up the application correctly, all you need to do is go to those sites, click on the links, and the download will start automatically. It's simple!!

For both these networks I strongly encourage to go with verified links, which will ensure the quality and the sources. on edonkey (or emule, which connects to to the same network) yo ucan use a "search" function, like Kazaa, but I still suggest you take a look at the verified links sites.

In any case, you are aware that these applications do not conflict among each other and that you can download them all and try them to see how you feel about them, right?
Mrs. 2p

Postby robnyt » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 am

kceasy is ok, it connets to various neworks, and I hear people are pretty happy with it. However, I believe you'll find ares more resourceful.

***I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but why?

However, for videos, edonkey is the best for variety (slow, but if you're not n a hurry, you know you'll eventually get your files... n good quality) and bittorrent is great for speeds (though you're only bound to find recent releases on that network, since files rarely stay on there for very long). Check the guides on the left for more information. Essentially, once you set up the application correctly, all you need to do is go to those sites, click on the links, and the download will start automatically.

It's simple!!

***Ah, but is it? Keep in mind that I'm using K-lite as the template for "simple".

For both these networks I strongly encourage to go with verified links, which will ensure the quality and the sources. on edonkey (or emule, which connects to to the same network) you can use a "search" function, like Kazaa, but I still suggest you take a look at the verified links sites.

***Do you have any to recommend?

In any case, you are aware that these applications do not conflict among each other and that you can download them all and try them to see how you feel about them, right?

***Yes, just a little nervous in that sometimes programs "latch" onto your system and it's difficult to FULLY remove them.

Let me also ask this. I have Windows XP2. Are any of these suggested programs conflicted by this?
robnyt

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:57 am

I believe you'll find ares more resourceful.

because... it has more resources: greater variety of files, greater number of sharers

It's simple!!

***Ah, but is it?

doh! Yes! At least, I think so, which is why I said it was... only very slightly more complicated than ares (which, by the way, you are alread rejecting without having tried, despite the general consensus that it was probably the best way to go for you). I went from k-lite to emule with no problems!

take a look at the verified links sites.

***Do you have any to recommend?

have you been going through this site? have you looked around? have you seen an ever-present column full of resources sticking out to your left? Have you seen a partial list of top ed2k (edonkey 2000) sites? As I posted earlier, edonkey and emule connect to the same network. you can also check out the stickies in the edonkey subsectionof this forum.

a little nervous in that sometimes programs "latch" onto your system and it's difficult to FULLY remove them.

I understand, but it will be hard to use these programs if you don't install them first, you know! :idea: In addition, without trying them you won't understand what we're talking about (computers are not learned by reading), and, most importantly, you won't be able to realize what type of features are most important to you. There isno best p2p application, just like there is no best car and there is no best ice cream flavor. It depends on tastes, needs, uses, energies, resources, time, connections, capacities... you just have to try!

I have Windows XP2. Are any of these suggested programs conflicted by this?

as far as I know, not any more.. I think... but I haven't switched to sp2 yet
Mrs. 2p

Postby Vulture » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:02 pm

2pstudent wrote:
I believe you'll find ares more resourceful.

because... it has more resources: greater variety of files, greater number of sharers
I'm not entirely sure about this one: KCeasy connects to the Ares network anyway, and with the FastTrack/kazaa plugin there is for it as well, I can't see how Ares could get more results. (although it is considerably harder to set up and is crippled by SP2)
selenographer razored won't be a googlewhack for long.
Vulture

Next

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa