Slyck Chatbox - And More

can't make primary connection

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

can't make primary connection

Postby stew49 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:18 pm

Hello
I can't make a primary connection even though I have DSL. A message appears that says no UDP port for incoming and outgoing packets. Can anyone help.
stew49

Postby DaBlade » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Ignore it. Just use secondary connection. Trust me, it's a whole lot faster that way. The only real advantage of being a primary is getting to host chat rooms, which most people don't need to do.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Solomon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm

You also get a much larger search horizon with a Primary, and a much more stable connection, with no "bad primary syndrome".
Solomon

Postby notbob » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:51 pm

yeah and if nobody bothers to set up primary connections, winmx dies

primaries are the backbone of the network, so yeah "Trust me, it's a whole lot faster that way", that is until no searches can be routed anymore, or the few primaries left overload with packets and die

for a guy who acts as winmx's #1 fanboy, you sure do your part to kill what's left of a formerly good network
notbob

Postby Skater00 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Both have there negatives and there positives. Yes, Primarys help the network, but only connect if you have the bandwidth to do so. If you don't it's ok, just connect through secondary.

For example, if your running BitTorrent and you want to download a song real fast, use secondary. If your planning on leaving WinMx running overnight, then connect through primary.
Skater00

Return to WinMX