Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

coding

A place for developers and programmers of file-sharing software to discuss issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

do you code?

yes
54%
no
17%
i'm learning the basics (i.e. reading my first book)
21%
other
8%

Total votes : 24

coding

Postby red duck » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:59 pm

well i started reading a book c++ for dummies
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:48 pm

Well of course!

HTML (if you can call that coding--more like formatting), PHP, Python, Assembly, and learning C++.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Nessmaster » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:55 pm

CG Red Duck! Thats the book I have been reading as well, but I have many others. If you ever need help I can help you out a bit, but I am not too experienced myself in C++ :oops:
Nessmaster

Postby red duck » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:58 pm

like i said i just started reading, i came to page 50 or so. in the other words i don't need help because i know nothing, when i'll manage to read a bit more of a book i'll ask you for help
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:48 pm

I wouldn't try C++ for Dummies. Those books teach you the basics, yes, but they always leave you hanging at the end.
iNaNimAtE

Postby puzzlepants » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:30 am

HTML, PHP (with MySQL of course), ASP, Javascript, CSS, Visual Basic, a little XML, a little C++ and a little Java :)

Not bad for being in high school heh

Well, I encourage anybody who is even thinking about taking up coding to do it. It's one of the most fun things I do, and for the most part, I have learned everything I know myself. Endless tutorials can be found online for any language you want!

And yes...I did read HTML for Dummies...and Javascript for Dummies... :cry: but I wasn't even in high school yet, so they were actually really good reads

Reference sites:
HTML/CSS - http://www.htmlhelp.com
PHP - http://www.php.net
Javascript - http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/ ... avascript/

Tutorials:
HTML - google :P
ASP - http://www.haneng.com http://www.asp101.com
PHP - http://www.webmonkey.com

Other nice sites:
Javascript/HTML/CSS - http://dynamicdrive.com
All - http://www.sourceforge.net (has tons of programs/projects made using the languages I have mentioned)

I'm sure you'll find something interesting in at least one of those sites.
puzzlepants

Postby thejynxed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:53 am

FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC (Many flavors), Visual Basic, C, C+, C++, Pascal, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, Visual C++, Assembly, XML, DHTML and a few others. Master of none though, mostly self-taught. Had formal training in COBOL, BASIC, Visual Basic, C++, and Visual C++. I hate programming :P
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:05 am

PS: I'm thinking about taking the plunge into INTERCAL.

For all you true hackers out there =).
iNaNimAtE

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:02 am

I've dabbled with most high-level languages, but being an electronics designer my expertise is more with low-level RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) machine-code embedded micros (aka 'firmware'), such as the popular PIC chips used in many programmable devices.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Ooble » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:30 am

I've read the first few chapters of that book - it's crap. People tell me anything by Herbert Schildt is great, but I personally learnt C and taught myself C++.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby johngalt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:49 am

I coded in Pascal and then BASIC a very long time ago, and then moved to VB and JAVA for a while, along with *cough cough* HTML.

I still know a little bit, and can usually take small snippets of code and analyze it for problems and such - but it has been a long time. I really should learn C so I can start writing my own 32bit apps that are .DLL 9and bloatware) independent....

I am I.
johngalt

Postby no_dammagE » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:56 am

well, I learned BASIC 2.5 and BASIC M on my Vektor 06c (USSR 8-bit, c64-pseudo-compatible, 64K RAM, cassette recorder, TV-set as monitor, works only on SECAM TV-sets) when I was in age of 6.
With 12 I moved to visual basic, but it wasn't very good (bloated), so I started to use delphi.
I learned socket programming, gui programming, IO and so on.
Then I found python - nostalgy came back since python is a very powerful language being easy as the old basic, I learned parts of it. With some testing I should be able to write anything I need. I use it to write my own scripts (e.g. insert my Inet-IP into freenet.conf by asking the router interface)
And now I moved to Java (10 minutes ago I found JET, let's try to translate my jShitPad.java into assembly code =) )

I learned all of these languages except the first basic without any books or other literature. Only libraries as MSDN were used on demand ... and google. The only exception - MSDN-like manual for BASIC 2.5 - I still have it =) It is very bad, it doesn't describe how to use PUT&GET and BLOAD and BSAVE, but only CLOAD&CSAVE. I never found out how to write and load binary data using a cassette recorder =]
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby johngalt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:07 am

I agree with you. I started learning BASIC on a TI 99-4/A may have been a 4K computer, prolly more like a 2K....

I learned nearly all without reference material, the JAVA being the exception - I was taking a class for that one.

EDIT: Added the following

HFS - JET translates JAVA to Assembly Language???? now that is something that I am going to want for sure!!!

I am I.
johngalt

Postby lordfoul » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:51 am

Went from writing BASIC(1983)->ASM->Pascal(Borland Turbo)->C-->C++ and Java(for the oop)

All at a strictly hobbiest level though I might add except for Pascal were I wrote other peoples software like filing systems etc. database stuff.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby no_dammagE » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:07 pm

i mean java bytecode -> native code
and native code is commonly asm =)
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby johngalt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:29 pm

yeah, but making the move to asm is a PITA - but i still want to learn it simply to say FU to all the VB programmers out there that write these wonderful programs that do one little tiny thing and that take something like 2 MB or more of space on my HD that I could get down with a 24K app....

Which is one reason why I love the apps at http://nirsoft.mirrorz.com - Nir writes tiny apps that rock.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:31 pm

no_dammagE wrote:And now I moved to Java (10 minutes ago I found JET, let's try to translate my jShitPad.java into assembly code =) )

There's only one major problem with JET and that is the dlls that have to bundled with your apps if you want them to run elsewhere. I was looking at JET while developing MetFileRegenerator so I could give windows n00bs a normal exe that wouldn't require java, but the size was prohibitive. I would have to distribute 6MB+ dlls along with MFR (which is roughly 200KB), so it didn't really make much sense in my mind to follow that path. I tried again with a headless program that would just be running in the background, and I thought it would be smaller since those dlls were mainly the swing classes, but apparently the dependencies are still there...
BigWillyStyle42

Return to Developers Forum