Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Loki Torrents Nears Initial Goal

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Loki Torrents Nears Initial Goal

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:42 am

As many already know, the MPAA and its international team of cronies have been widely successful in knocking out many of the largest BitTorrent and eDonkey2000 indexing sites. While SuprnNova folded, some decided to dig in and fight the good fight. Such is the case with Loki Torrents.

Loki Torrents, a BitTorrent tracker, plays an important yet lower key presence in the BitTorrent community. While not as large as SuprNova, Loki Torrents assumes a critical role in maintaining the BitTorrent network. Those looking to avoid that bottle necks usually associated with SuprNova typically found Loki Torrents to be more than adequate in meeting their Torrent needs.

Since the demise of many Torrent sites, Loki Torrents has witnessed its usage increase dramatically. Like many other BitTorrent sites, Loki Torrents was issued a Cease and Desist letter from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). This warning letter is typically enough for most sites to close down, however Loki Torrents held on. On December 14, 2004, Loki Torrents was officially notified by the MPAA that a lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court in the Northern District of Texas. Because the MPAA does not know the identities of the tracker owners, the suit was filed as "[John] Does 1-10."

In response to the lawsuit, Loki Torrents did the unexpected. Instead of closing down, Loki Torrents decided to raise the necessary funds to counter the MPAA's lawsuit. Considering the copyright industry's tactics are to simply wear down any opponent, Loki Torrents is looking at a minimum of $30,000 a month to stand against the MPAA. While raising $30,000 a month may seem like a daunting task, especially for a lesser known website, the feat is well within their grasp.

Today, Loki Torrents is no longer the lesser-known BitTorrent website. The current MPAA campaign, and its decision to fight back, has thrust this site into the BitTorrent spotlight. Within five days of announcing their fund raising campaign, Loki Torrents is only $710.00 dollars away from reaching their initial goal. At the time of this writing, Loki Torrents has raised an impressive $29,290.

As Loki Torrents has pointed out, this is only their initial goal. Legal fees, especially against a behemoth like the MPAA, can and will be extraordinary. Considering there has been no decision or interpretation regarding the legality of hash links or torrents links, the potential for a pro P2P ruling is very real.
Last edited by SlyckTom on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyckTom

Postby SensibleSam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:01 am

It's quite incredible that LokiTorrent have been able to raise almost $30,000 in such a short space of time.

Why is it so incredible? Well, mainly because the site is such a pile of shit. The trackers hardly ever work, rendering the site useless, and it's run by a bunch of immature children who cling to a rule book bulging at the seams with rules which enable them to ban users at the slightest provocation.

Is LokiTorrent really the salvation of p2p? I doubt it. Anyone who wants to see a real bit torrent site should visit The Pirate Bay at http://trackerwww.prq.to/frame.html

Now, they know how to run a bt site!
SensibleSam

Postby Moglar » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:02 am

Finally someone fighting back! I don't think its going to work though...

The MPAA has always had, and will probably always have, more money than any site can get from donations. Lokitorrent needs 30K every month. now they got it in 5 days, but this was only the first round of donations. The MPAA will just keep going month after month after month, untill even the most hardcore filesharer will run out of motivation and stop donating, lokitorrent will run out of money, and close down, so we can all go and look for another alternative. again.
Moglar

Postby Frell45 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:03 am

I use loki torrents often and I am proud of them putting up the fight someone has too show the MPAA etc that we wont take this sitting down
Frell45

Postby johngalt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:18 am

Loki, the Norse(?) god of chaos - appropriate name. Let's hope they can live up to their name and create some real chaos in the MPAA's suit to them, and hopefully will even be able to counter sue and get the MPAA to back off *everyone*.

(shhh, I can dream, dammit).

I am I.
johngalt

Postby SensibleSam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:25 am

Loki will crumble just like all the others.
The site is a joke.
SensibleSam

Postby johngalt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:27 am

lmfao - well, to me, any and all P2P apps and file sharing apps that have a required sharing capacity built into them are a joke.

That is why I use the newsgroups.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby plazzTT » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:32 am

I'd never donate to this for many reasons.

a) - People in Asia need this money, ffs.
b) - I don't like LokiTorrent. One of my least favourite torrent sites. Their trackers are always down for me.
c) - Will it really make a difference? It's for legal fees. No real improvements will be seen on the site. If it goes down, I won't miss it.
d) - When it reaches $30,000, so what? They say that that's the minimum needed. They need 2-3 times this amount for a full legal battle.
e) - They need $30,000 EVERY MONTH. I'd like to see them raise this amount every single month. Most people will probably say "nah, screw this" when they see the counter reset to $0 in a few weeks. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Of course, I'd still love to see them win the legal battle.
:D
plazzTT

Postby SensibleSam » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:38 am

Loki Torrent is one of the least friendly sites I have visited. It really makes me smile to hear it compared to Surnova.

I would also like to see the MPAA taken to the cleaners, but Loki Torrent are not the ones who'll do it. I feel genuinly sorry for all the suckers who've donated money to this lost cause.

It is truly pathetic.
SensibleSam

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:42 am

Whether Loki Torrents is a good Torrent site or not really is not the point. The point of the article, as the headline states, is that they are raising money and have reached their goal. Whether they are a good site or not is a story for another day.
SlyckTom

Postby nms04 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:44 am

spunds good, i hope they will be able to survive!!
nms04

Postby DaBlade » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:54 am

I hope LokiTorrent give the hollywood scum a foul tasting legal loss.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby johngalt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:57 am

we all hope that - but reality and practicality says 'probably not'.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby Jelsoft » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:22 am

This sounds pessimistic, but happens if the folks at Loki Torrents takes the money and run?

$30,000 will get a nice tropical island.
Jelsoft

Postby Asuran » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:23 am

SlyckTom wrote:Whether Loki Torrents is a good Torrent site or not really is not the point. The point of the article, as the headline states, is that they are raising money and have reached their goal. Whether they are a good site or not is a story for another day.

Whether they are good or bad as a torrent site doesn't really make a difference. The fact is that they are going to go to court and if they would win, that would help ALL torrent sites and hash link sites in the future. So helping them win this will help your favourite torrent site as well what ever that may be.
Asuran

Postby johngalt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks for pointing out the obvious assuran - I'd have thought the naysayers would have figured that out already, but after 4 comments from 2 ppl that Loki sucks, I guess it needed to be aired out in the open and obvious for all to see....

I am I.
johngalt

Postby cjules13 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:32 am

I threw them a couple bucks just for the reason that Asuran poited out above... the obvious.

Whether or not you like lokitorrents is one thing, but they are going to show up on behalf of all torrent sites, so pony up as if it was was favorite site I say, worth it just toset the precendent, and there is a real possibility for a pro-p2p ruling...
cjules13

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:49 am

The point is to convey that there is opposition to what the industry is doing. People are responding and the fact that this site is near its goal. That is the impressive feature as Tom said. Sure there are many other things one can donate to. Many other very worthy causes.

Somehow, the conversation has been skewed to whether or not they can beat the industry. Again that is not the point. The response loki has received is what the story is about and so far it is a success this month (or week). The fact of open opposition may generate positive feedback in support of torrents or legitimizing them could be a win. Beating the industry financially is a pipe dream. Standing up to them is the best strategy. Good article Tom!! 8)
SlyckChuck

Postby carpefile » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:01 pm

I'm surprised it needed to be pointed out, the importance of donating to Loki's legal defense fund.

Do you see any other sites stepping up to the plate? :roll:

If they can successfully defend themselves in court against this suit, the mpaa is shutdown, on this front anyway.

It's amazing that p2p manages to survive with the attitude of leachers and "What's in it for me?" so prevalent. :x

I suppose the possibility does exist that Loki will take the money and run, but that's a chance I'm willing to take to possibly help defend a lifestyle I've grown to love and benefitted so much from. :!:
carpefile

Postby notbob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:11 pm

what a waste of money

they are just setting themselves up for a lifelong battle, just like kazaa/grokster/etc.

they should take the 30 grand and move to pakistan instead
notbob

Postby Frell45 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 pm

At 7pm GMT Lokitorrent reached its target infact its at $30132
Frell45

Postby nohead » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:10 pm

they are just setting themselves up for a lifelong battle, just like kazaa/grokster/etc.

For some people, life is a long battle. For others, chicken out is always the 1st option!

The fact is that they are going to go to court and if they would win, that would help ALL torrent sites and hash link sites in the future.

Well said, only one has enough gut to stand up and give it a try. BT community has millions of people, but only one goes to the front...
Last edited by nohead on Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky isn`t the limit, I am.
nohead

Postby notbob » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:19 pm

nohead wrote:

For some people, life is a long battle. For others, chicken out is always the 1st option!

the "coward" lives on, and marries the dead "hero"'s wife

he who is smart runs away, and lives to try another day
notbob

Postby nohead » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:25 pm

Well said.

"COWARD" is the best description and you said it :)
Sky isn`t the limit, I am.
nohead

Postby chacho » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:56 pm

johngalt wrote:lmfao - well, to me, any and all P2P apps and file sharing apps that have a required sharing capacity built into them are a joke.

TorrentBits made it work, and it was one of the best torrent sites around. :)
chacho

Next

Return to Slyck News