Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What happened to Winmx?

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What happened to Winmx?

Postby dantheman1425 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:10 pm

Whenever I go to connect to Winmx it takes a long time, thats if it connects and then after it connects I start searching and I click back on networks and its trying to connect again (yellow). I'm in FL and a friend of mine in GA is having the same problem. Does anybody know whats going on?

Thanks
dantheman1425

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:14 pm

Seems ok to me!
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:46 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Seems ok to me!

In other words: Thats how WinMx is... :roll: You will just have to hope a new version will come out to improve this.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Dazzle » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:51 am

The problem is usually confined to secondary connections , see this for more information

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 532#105532

It manifests itself as disconnecting when obtaining a room listing from the wpns.

Also to be taken into account is the "Avalanche " technique being employed by the recording industry.
this works by flooding the network with fake listings that go into many thousands , if you search for "lil john" on primary watch as the primaries collapse under the amount of spoof traffic , this is something that has been going on for 2 weeks , a sort of xmas present from BPI/RIAA
The annoying thing here is when someone gets "avalanched" like this it affects their neighbours on the network, so we all suffer , if I was in the U.S. I would take legal action against this as a denial of service attack, just because their a big corporate entity it does not make this sort of thing legal.
One last trick to those having trouble try switching peer caches in MX settings this can help in some cases (look down the list on the left of Settings for WinMx Peer Network , asia seems to be popular recently : )
Dazzle

Postby dantheman1425 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:24 pm

Thanks for the tips. Today is 12/22/04 and I started it up and it connected right away and hasn't dropped. Maybe the RIAA demons are at home now with there demonic family members celebrating a satanic christmas. It was worrying me though, because winmx is the only P2P i use and has a lot of video & mp3.
dantheman1425

Postby DaBlade » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:57 pm

WinMX!
How hard is it not to write winmx or Winmx or WinMx? :lol:
WinMX rocks. Psycho Ced: Spam on somewhere other than the WinMX forum. :P (Kazaa's is a good one :idea: ) :lol:
Last edited by DaBlade on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:13 pm

DaBlade wrote:WinMX!
How hard is it not to write winmx or Winmx or WinMx? :lol:
WinMX rocks. Psycho Ced: Spam on somewhere other than the WinMX forum. :P (KaZaA's is a good one :idea: ) :lol:

Well Excuuuuse me :D WinMX .... Sorry if I confused anyone :roll: & I would stay as far away from Kazaa as possible :!:

:shock: er [edit]...make that KaZaA
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

patch for falling secondarys

Postby Snip » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:51 pm

there was a patch made for secondary connections http://www.kingmacro.net also has winmx chat server with coloured text, 3.53 protocol chat client, wpn lister for websites and lots more
Snip

Postby DaBlade » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:56 pm

I don't trust -KM- (KingMacro). I never did. I've seen him come into several chat rooms on WinMX and crash them for no appearent reason.
Dickhead. :evil:

DaBlade

Postby raar » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:15 am

Psycho Ced wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:Seems ok to me!

In other words: Thats how WinMx is... :roll: You will just have to hope a new version will come out to improve this.

No, it is not. This person is right. Today, I tried and everything seems to be back to normal, but just a couple of days ago, I too waited longer than normal for the app to connect.
As to the reason, only they know.
raar

Postby Dazzle » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:57 am

Rest easy DaBlade , some of use keep a good eye on his programs while you complain about them.
I have reversed his DLL and besides a stupid joke regarding another room it does what it says on the can.
If you get worried about any Program KM is offering ask Bender to give em the once over , he was the guy who caught him out last time 8)
Dazzle

Postby DaBlade » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:01 pm

I don't think Bender really likes me. Kinda odd. I never did anything to him, yet he always ignores me when I try to talk to him in Star Trek Quark's Bar.

DaBlade

Return to WinMX