Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newshosting has it's own client for search and download.

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newshosting has it's own client for search and download.

Postby Inksaver » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 pm

I have searched the forums to see if this is old news and everyone is already aware, but have found nothing so far

I use Newshosting and have been frustrated by a decent search site for NZB files, especially being able to do a raw search on usenet. I finally discovered that Newshosting customers can download a client designed for their exclusive use.

Once installed, it uses your login details to connect, and can search all available newsgroups, download both nzb and actual posted files, run PAR correction, open and assemble RAR files and leave you with the completed file in its own folder. You can also import nzb files from other sources.

As it is connected directly to your host news server, searches are lightning fast, and of course cover the full retention period of the service. I have seen files dated sept 2010 on some groups.

The number of connections and connection port is selectable, so if for instance your ISP throttles port 119 you can choose a range of other ports to connect with. A test I used earlier was running at 500kB/s on 119, but when switching to 23 was running at 12MB/s, which is the limit on my 100Mb connection.

I am unsure whether other usenet providers have similar clients for their customers, but this one is excellent.
Inksaver

Re: Newshosting has it's own client for search and download.

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 am

I've been meaning to try that for a while but never got around to it. Been a Newshosting customer for years too.

It doesn't really fit in with my needs though, since I automate most of my downloads using a combination of SABnzbd, Sick Beard, Couch Potato, Newznab and Spotweb, all installed on my server and remotely controlled over the LAN .... but on the occasion that I need to search manually for stuff, sounds like it this might be just the ticket. Thanks for the info :)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to NewsGroups