Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Nzb-Matrix Is Open For Now

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Nzb-Matrix Is Open For Now

Postby napho » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:20 pm

napho

Re: Nzb-Matrix Is Open For Now

Postby ejonesss » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 am

is it related to the defunct server? i.e by them voluntarily shutting down they have the chance to move the servers and set up in a different country)
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby NewsgroupReviews » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 am

No. The two do not appear to be related. Just a clever domain name selection.
NewsgroupReviews

Postby napho » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 am

NewsgroupReviews wrote:No. The two do not appear to be related. Just a clever domain name selection.

That's true. Just using a well known brand name, but it's still useful now that most sites are closed to new members.
napho

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 am

It's a Newzab site. These sites are popping up everywhere now.

Newznab is pretty neat though, and relatively easy to setup if you wanna run your own indexer. I've been running my own private, LAN/Intranet-based Newznab indexing server for about a month now. Beats paying for and relying on indexing websites :)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby napho » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:It's a Newzab site. These sites are popping up everywhere now.

Newznab is pretty neat though, and relatively easy to setup if you wanna run your own indexer. I've been running my own private, LAN/Intranet-based Newznab indexing server for about a month now. Beats paying for and relying on indexing websites :)

I was thinking about trying that just out of curiosity, but then again I've been thinking about trying Linux for 10 years and haven't even come close to trying it, even a version that doesn't install. :)
napho

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:01 am

:lol:

Well, in both cases, if your PC is reasonably powerful with a decent amount or RAM (4GB or more) I'd recommend trying them in a Virtual Machine. With a VM you can play around with Linux installations or a multitude of systems with different configurations, such as Newznab running under XAMPP, without affecting your 'host' machine, or even rebooting it. You can even copy/clone the VMs between different host machines very easily.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Benzima1000 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:51 am

I checked and it seems setting up my very own Newzab site is too complex for me.

I have found at least one Newzab site that seems pretty kool though. Hope it says up for awhile. Because of these Newzab sites I feel pretty optimistic about the future of newsgroups. Best news I've heard since'The Matrixxx' went down.
Benzima1000

Return to NewsGroups