Page 1 of 1

How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimited?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:56 am
by rocky12
Hi everyone,

I still wish I could download NZB with the age over 1000-1500, or more, so in that case we are looking for unlimited retention? I believe someone on here did a ping? I have to admit that I'm not on my PC posting. I'm actually on my iPhone, so if that person does a ping again it will show something like I'm using Verizon. Verizon is my cell company. I don't have them for my ISP. Since I can't go with paid, and since the results came up last time as my ISP has a very extremely low retention, and I know there are cool things out there that could make something wrong? Would it be possible if I could bypass/trick my ISP to have unlimited retention? How could I do something like that? I'm willing to learn if someone could provide those instructions.

Thank you everyone,

Take care,

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 am
by MrFredPFL
you were thinking of me. i didn't ping you, the forum software records the IP of anyone who posts.

there is no way to "trick" your ISP into giving you unlimited retention. they don't have unlimited retention themselves. they only choose to store so much, which is typically less than a premium provider. it is not a case of them holding back things from u - they don't have that stuff themselves, so u cannot trick them into giving it to u.

no one has unlimited retention, not even the most expensive premium provider. u cannot trick anyone into allowing u to access data they don't actually have.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 am
by rocky12
Thank you very much, Fred!

Yes, I was thinking of you. Would it be possible to get free usenet service that offers like 1500-2000 days of retention? The age of days for what I'm after are a bit old. That is why I'm asking for like 1500 days, but could I get it for free? Or what about free usenet over IPv6? Would that do the job?

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 pm
by MrFredPFL
giganews and astraweb, two leading premium services, are currently reporting 1455 and 1444 days, respectively.

no free service i have ever heard of has that kind of retention.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 pm
by rocky12
MrFredPFL wrote:giganews and astraweb, two leading premium services, are currently reporting 1455 and 1444 days, respectively.

no free service i have ever heard of has that kind of retention.



What if I use a free VPN service such as VPNReactor, and then try downloading something from binsearch? Would that do the job since the VPN would be hiding who I am with my ISP?

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 pm
by MrFredPFL
the amount of retention a usenet provider has is determined by how much data they choose to store on their servers. VPNs and IPv6 will not affect this. you cannot download something from your ISP's news servers, no matter how you try, if they don't have it on their servers. i looked it up once, and i don't remember what the number was, but your ISP's retention is very low. NOTHING you do is going to change that.

they are not hiding that stuff from you, they do not have it to begin with.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 am
by Cornelius Pumpkins
My head just collapsed. Kudos Fred.

Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:46 am
by bmh67wa
Cornelius Pumpkins wrote:My head just collapsed. Kudos Fred.

Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden



:thumbup: Agreed

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am
by rocky12
MrFredPFL wrote:the amount of retention a usenet provider has is determined by how much data they choose to store on their servers. VPNs and IPv6 will not affect this. you cannot download something from your ISP's news servers, no matter how you try, if they don't have it on their servers. i looked it up once, and i don't remember what the number was, but your ISP's retention is very low. NOTHING you do is going to change that.

they are not hiding that stuff from you, they do not have it to begin with.


What if places like binsearch has what I'm looking for, but sometimes torrents don't have it? I'm assuming you say don't bother with that particular what I'm looking for since it's hard for me to get usenet?

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 pm
by Cornelius Pumpkins
1431 days retention

FOR FREE

http://usenetstorm.com/

You won't get a better free deal anywhere else, so don't bother asking further about price or retention, it's utterly pointless.

Just in case you're in any doubt, this has answered your question.

No, they don't do 1500 days, just in case you're tempted to ask.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:17 pm
by rocky12
Cornelius Pumpkins wrote:1431 days retention

FOR FREE

http://usenetstorm.com/

You won't get a better free deal anywhere else, so don't bother asking further about price or retention, it's utterly pointless.

Just in case you're in any doubt, this has answered your question.

No, they don't do 1500 days, just in case you're tempted to ask.



Thank you very much, and I'm sorry. I'll check it out.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:28 pm
by MrFredPFL
great find, cornelius :toast:

i hope they can manage to continue to offer that free service.

i'm a bit confused by their description of what the various levels of service can do. when they refer to "maximum NZB file size", i have to think they mean the size of whatever the NZB indexes, not the size of the NZB file itself. that seems like a strange way of describing the limit to me :shrug:

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 am
by Cornelius Pumpkins
rocky12 wrote:Thank you very much, and I'm sorry. I'll check it out.

You're welcome and no need to be sorry, i'm a bad-tempered fool

MrFredPFL wrote:that seems like a strange way of describing the limit to me

That's exactly what it is. The size of the .NZB file is moot, it's the content indexed by the .NZB that's limited to 500MB. It's a PITA, but you can make several NZBs to download multiples of 500MB to "bypass" the limit.

Re: How could I bypass Usenet retention by making it unlimit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 am
by Sfl0w
What these guys are trying to do is interesting, but a 500MB file size limit is pretty tiny :-( If you look at the pricing levels for their plans they are pretty redonculous, near Giganews price levels - no thank you. Still for what it is it's kind of cool :-)