Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

octanews warning

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

octanews warning

Postby ejonesss » Mon May 21, 2012 6:09 am

i was trying to set up an account on octanews and the billing server "https://billing.octanews.com/signup/" responded very slow and eventually with

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'

ActiveX component can't create object: 'wwque.custobject'

/signup/global.asa, line 19

correct me if i am wrong but the big boys like isps and newsservers DO NOT USE windows boxes or even consumer computers as servers for big boy operations like isps and newsservers?

"Microsoft VBScript runtime" and "ActiveX component" are both stuff you would find on windows boxes.

i am scared to even try to sign up because if they are indeed using a consumer computer you can buy at staples or office depot or office max as a billing server let alone a normal newsserver they are gapingly full of security holes that can be easily exploited to get access to their billing database.

if they get the server fixed and i sign up i am sure's heck going to use a combination of vpn, prepaid credit card and false identity.

vpn to prevent easy tracing back to me.

prepaid credit card paid for by cash or purchased from ebay to prevent tracing to real identity.

false identity (maybe names and addresses picked from phone book) to prevent them from being able to use my identity fraudulently
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Return to NewsGroups