Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Looking for a specific binary reader

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Looking for a specific binary reader

Postby MrMoo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi,
I have 5 different usenet servers that i can connect to but some of them have incomplete files, i am looking for a binary newsgroup reader that will search through all 5 servers and select the best server to download each file from.
For example, if i download a HD movie and server 1 has 5 incomplete files, it will jump onto server 2 to download the remaining 5 files, if they are also incomplete on server 2 then it will jump to server 3 without downloading the incompletes.

Is there any such usenet readers available? i currently use newsleecher which can handle multiple servers but seems to only use 1 of them unless i manually select another (which means i have to go through all the files and find the ones that are incomplete then redownload them on another server, which is hastle :mrgreen: )
MrMoo

Re: Looking for a specific binary reader

Postby zbeast » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:58 pm

sounds like you should just get a better news provider.
newsbin pro is what I think you need. it can be configured to pull a given nzb from
any number of usnet sites. Iv'e only tested it once using it the way your talking about
and it seem to work.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 am

You may be able to do that with SABnzbd, to some extent, using a combination of 'backup' and 'optional' servers. Never tried it myself though, so not sure how well it would work, or what the best configuration would be ...

Configure Servers: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/configure-servers-v2
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby napho » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

With Newsleecher you can give the best server the #1 priority while other servers are on standby with a lower priority, only to be used when needed to fill in missing data. The problem with NL is that it can screw up slightly when you have 5 servers with equal priority, so you end up with some incompletes. Maybe try the best server being #1, second best server #2, and everything else 3.

napho

Return to NewsGroups