Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Understanding NNTP access

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Understanding NNTP access

Postby PaulC2K » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,

Im trying to get my head around whether to modify my existing newsgroup provider account from HTTP+NNTP to purely NNTP or a basic HTTP+Unlimited NNTP and because im not particularly clued up in this whole newsgroup process i dont want to go disabling access which im going to later regret.

As things stand, im paying $30 for 150gb plus unlimited NNTP.
Im using SABnzbd to download my content, and an nzb site (nzb.su) + SickBeard for locating all my content.

The whole 'NNTP' part leaves me a little confused, i understand that this NNTP protocol is seperate from the HTTP version, am i correct in saying that anything i'd be downloading as an nzb file from an nzb provider/website will be going through the NNTP route, therefor using part of my unlimited access?

I'd like to try and reduce my monthly costs, and one solution seems to be to either switch to just unlimited NNTP access for $10, or to go with a basic account of 20gb/$10mo PLUS unlimited NNTP for a total of $20, both of which work out cheaper than paying $30/mo, however im just wondering if my understanding is remotely correct?
I do use the web search from time to time, it'd be nice to keep it, but not sure its worth $10/mo to me, when 99% of stuff i'd get i'd find by nzb sites and im *assuming* this would be via NNTP.

Am i on the right track? Could anyone clarify the situation for me, preferably without completely baffling me with terminology :D
PaulC2K

Re: Understanding NNTP access

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:39 pm

PaulC2K wrote:The whole 'NNTP' part leaves me a little confused, i understand that this NNTP protocol is seperate from the HTTP version, am i correct in saying that anything i'd be downloading as an nzb file from an nzb provider/website will be going through the NNTP route, therefor using part of my unlimited access?

yes.
MrFredPFL

Return to NewsGroups