Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Anybody had problems cancelling a plan from Astraweb?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Anybody had problems cancelling a plan from Astraweb?

Postby flimsybanana » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:11 pm

I'm asking because I think I read somewhere that this was more or less a nightmare... More precisely cancelling one of their Unlimited Plans.

Any input on this?
flimsybanana

Re: Anybody had problems cancelling a plan from Astraweb?

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 am

I changed from Astraweb (unlimited) to Newshosting back in Feb this year ... had no problems. I just sent them a cancellation request via their ticket system ...

First reply:
Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated response sent to you in order to confirm the receipt of your message. We will attend to your ticket as soon as possible. We've listed the details of the ticket you created below for your records. When replying, please keep the ticket's ID in the subject to ensure that your replies are tracked correctly.

Ticket ID: ########

Subject: Close/Suspend account request

Department: General

One of our support staff will reply to your email as soon as possible. Our support staff are available from Monday to Friday except public holidays. You will receive a response to your problem within 24 hours during the periods when our support staff are available.

Second reply (5 minutes later):
Thank you for using our service. Your account has been cancelled and will no longer rebill. It will remain active until the end of your billing period.

Did any part of our service fail to meet your expectations? Please let us know so that we may improve our service.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,

Kylie

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: ########

There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby ejonesss » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 am

you could just close your credit card and let it bounce off astraweb and they will stop your account.

i know this because it nearly happened to me

there was a fault in their billing system that prevented them from talking to the credit card system and i got a notice of invalid card fortunately the problem was fixed quickly enough that i did not lose service.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby flimsybanana » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm

I see. Thanks a ton for your answers. Would cancelling the monthly subscription via PayPal be a possibility?
flimsybanana

Postby flimsybanana » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:08 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:I changed from Astraweb (unlimited) to Newshosting back in Feb this year ... had no problems. I just sent them a cancellation request via their ticket system ...

What was your reason for choosing Newshosting?
flimsybanana

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 am

Mainly just price ...

I had used Newshosting previously, for several years. In fact I think they were probably my first ever NSP when I first started using newsgroups over 10 years ago. Then I think it was Giganews, who were more expensive but offered longer retention, then I switched to Astraweb for a better deal. I was with Astraweb for a couple of years or more, then Newshosting started offering an even better deal. Oh, and I was with Newsreader.com for a little while too, but I forget where they fit in ...

I've never really had any problems with any of the NSPs I've used though. I've always opted for the unlimited packages and they've all been fast and reliable. I think the only, very minor niggle I ever had with Astraweb was that if I had a brief drop in connection while downloading, due to broadband problems (which is/was fairly rare), it could take 15-20 minutes for the downloads to start again because of refused connections (my news reader would produce an error of 'too many connections', indicating that Astraweb was slow to drop the previous connections). I've never had that problem with any of the other providers but, like I said, it's only a very minor annoyance (unless of course your connection drops frequently!).
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to NewsGroups