Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Usenet service - removed content

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Usenet service - removed content

Postby border304 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 am

Hey guys. First time here and hoping people can offer some advice.
I've been using Newsgroups for about 15yrs or so now. It has always been great. Even better now I don't have to get headers etc. God bless NZBs :D
I pay for the service with one of the top US companies but I've noticed recently that unless you get in fast for some stuff, it is subsequently pulled from the servers (I assume due to copyright). I know it isn't retention as I get over 1000 days and for some stuff it is there even beyond that date. Support suggests that it may be down to copyright so they must be actively having to pull stuff when requested.
So what I wonder is, are all Usenet providers being hit by orders to remove content? And are some (perhaps based in a country that doesn't give a sh1t) better than others at pulling down copyrighted material?
I need 1000+ days retention, a choice of ports and SSL (all of which i currently have). But I also want a service that is less than diligent with copyrighted material. Any suggestions? Thanks.
border304

Re: Usenet service - removed content

Postby SleepyOne » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 am

astraweb.com/special would be my recommendation.

They have 1000+ days retention.
Ports 119, 23, 1818 or 8080
SSL ports 443 and 563

Never noticed any dmca-nuked content on the EU server. No idea about their US server.

Another way to combat takedowns is to get a block-account from a provider using a different serverpark than your main and set that as fill/backup-server. When they remove content they usually don't remove the whole thing but just enough for it to not be repairable. So the usage of the block-account should be minimal.
SleepyOne

Postby ejonesss » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 am

do you have an example nzb i can try?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:57 am

ejonesss wrote:do you have an example nzb i can try?

perhaps a reminder would be in order here.

Forum Rules wrote:6) No copyrighted web/hash/NZB links or requests. Do not post or reference any copyrighted web/hash/NZB links to files that exist on networks such as BitTorrent, eDonkey2000 or Usenet. No warez/key genz/serialz links. In addition, do not request such files. Please don't ask for the location of specific files, programs, movies or other copyrighted material. This includes cracks. Slyck is not the appropriate forum for any unauthorized file requests.
MrFredPFL

Postby border304 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:42 am

ejonesss wrote:do you have an example nzb i can try?

Ok so I cannot post or reference any links. But if you were to go looking for yourself, say hpothetically for Red Faction Armageddon that might have been posted 58 days ago - then perhaps you might see what I mean.

Also I have it [Newsleecher] set to download partial files and the log is returning no such file, not a partial file. So not sure an account on another server is going to help unless they aren't as good at removing content. In which case I'd just jump ship to them entirely.
border304

Postby border304 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:44 am

SleepyOne wrote:astraweb.com/special would be my recommendation.

SSL ports 443 and 563

Never noticed any dmca-nuked content on the EU server. No idea about their US server.

Another way to combat takedowns is to get a block-account from a provider using a different serverpark than your main and set that as fill/backup-server. When they remove content they usually don't remove the whole thing but just enough for it to not be repairable. So the usage of the block-account should be minimal.

I'll give them a try.
border304

Postby border304 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 am

border304 wrote:
SleepyOne wrote:astraweb.com/special would be my recommendation.

SSL ports 443 and 563

I'll give them a try.

Sweet. Astraweb is pulling down articles that have been removed by Newshosting. Looks like I may be changing provider.
Thanks for the advice.
border304

Postby ejonesss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:08 am

border304 you can pm me.

the rules i think only apply to the public section? (unless it is harassment or something)
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby border304 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 am

ejonesss wrote:border304 you can pm me.

the rules i think only apply to the public section? (unless it is harassment or something)

It cool but thank you for the offer. It was only GBP 7.50 for the month on Astraweb so I just decided to give it a go.
I've also managed to dl something from over 900days ago which I couldn't get from Newshosting (no such article). Thankfully I wasn't too far into the sequel so now i'm playing the first title for the back story. :)

Thanks all for the assistance.
border304

Postby Sfl0w » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Newshosting has always been good for me, been with them for 4+ years now, retention has been fantastic as they have grown over the years and they are continuing to grow day for day - they actually have cared enough to help the Usenet grow, I think that is one of the reasons I have stuck with them so long, they care :) I do have an Astraweb block account but it has not been touched in a coon's age...
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Return to NewsGroups