Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Downloads are always damaged or passworded

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Downloads are always damaged or passworded

Postby jazmanuk » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 am

I am begining to think this was a total waste of money. Every single one of my downloads are either damaged or have a password.... why would the rars be damaged. On Astraweb
jazmanuk

Re: Downloads are always damaged or passworded

Postby SleepyOne » Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 am

Gotta give us some more info here. Which client did use? Where did you get the nzb from? Was it old files? If so, how old?
SleepyOne

Postby jazmanuk » Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 am

***EDITED OFR SWEARING*** - Jaz
Last edited by jazmanuk on Wed May 18, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazmanuk

Postby SleepyOne » Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 am

If you try calming down a bit and give us some details we might be able to figure out why its happening and how to solve it.

Who mugged you? Astraweb? I dont think so. Astraweb is working just fine for me.
SleepyOne

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun May 15, 2011 11:02 am

:popcorn:
MrFredPFL

Postby HalOfBorg » Sun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Sounds like some of the TV shows I DL. HATE those files (passworded RARs).

I always look for them from same source (username 'teevee' at the moment), and get the oldest one listed (first put up), unless later ones are named 'Proper' or the like. I am assuming that later ones are put up with as passworded RARs by someone else / another group using same name (guessing). The NFO with the 'Proper' ones usually explains about a problem with the original - and so far for me has always been right, and the 'proper' file was OK with no password.

Is there a way to see exactly what filetype is being DLd? I used to fall for "TVSHOW.avi" that turns out to REALLY be "TVSHOW.RAR" when unpacked. I assume my show is inside the rar.

Couple of times, using best security I could I went to the site that came with one, filled out their stupid surveys, they always ended up wanting to text me the password. I can then imagine an endless stream of texts sucking my tracfone account dry. No thanks. :thumbdn:
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby ejonesss » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm

i dont see why there is a need for a password since they are always posted in the wrong group.

i know that posting in the wrong group makes it more difficult for the legal departments to download the entire group and find other titles that they own for example

lets say adobe's legal department wants to download from adobe or mac groups they will never find any of their products there because they are posted in some unassuming group like alt.binaries.cars.pictures for example.

now that many of the good servers now have 1000+ days retention + thousands of groups that can add up to yotta range and beyond

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yotta-

who wants to yottabytes of data just to find all their products.

just 1 group can contain many terabytes or even petabytes.

but come on!!!!! a password? that's overkill when you can just obscure the posting in a unassuming group.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby georgegad » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 pm

ejonesss wrote:i dont see why there is a need for a password.....

I think you are misunderstanding.

You are correct, there is no good reason for a password... hence the angry ranting posts from Mr jazman.

By attaching a password they are attempting to lure people to their site, where they will supposedly find the password but in reality will only find advertisments, joining fees, tracking cookies, viruses and other typical internet slime.

Its a scam, and he is rightfully angry that they keep catching him with it. A little more research and care in what he downloads will save him a large portion of trouble, but in the end he is right. They are just a bunch of cunts.

jazmanuk wrote:..... why would the rars be damaged.....

Since i am here i will jump in with a guess. Perhaps you are using the old winzip and the files you are unzipping are the newer 7z format. If you have no idea what i am talking about try looking for a program, i think its called "7Zip", and retry your rars with it.
Might not be what is causing your trouble but 7z gave me similar problems the first time i came across it. Might work, might not, but shouldnt cause any harm to try.
georgegad

Postby tmc » Mon May 16, 2011 5:40 am

If you want the DOWN Low about this: yes, the whole thing about luring to a site for mal/spyware is true.. BUT there are red-flags to look for... 9.99999999 / 10 there are almost NEVER pre-releases of tv-shows.. DUH! So if you see a tv pre-release that's RAR'd be VERY WARY!!! Next, if there is a non-rar'd file, choose that one.. it's common practice that a non-rar'd file (avi) will be out there at the same time. FINALLY:

RTF_FAQ (find a "scene torrenting faq" and READ IT!!!)
:popcorn:
tmc

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

georgegad wrote:but in the end he is right. They are just a bunch of cunts.

i'd agree with this, if it weren't for the fact that i get the impression it's astraweb he was calling cunts.
MrFredPFL

Postby newguy1001 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:45 am

I've been seeing this for a couple of years now, it can be a real pain in the a**, but there are things to watch out for.
First using binsearch to search usenet for files will help because they are starting to filter out the passworded rar sets as spam posts, they also have the option to "peek" inside the file set to see what it contains. Another option is to download the .rar file first and open it in winrar and see if it contains another .rar file thats password protected. A new version of this ploy is to not include the .rar file in the original posting so the post can't be removed by the binsearch's spam filter, only once the fileset is rebuilt do you find out the damn thing is passworded. If you do get one dont even bother to follow the links you'll never get the password, better to just redownload the correct set.
newguy1001

Postby LANjackal » Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 am

jazmanuk wrote:I am begining to think this was a total waste of money. Every single one of my downloads are either damaged or have a password.... why would the rars be damaged. On Astraweb
One drawback of the Usenet system is that QoS isn't assured even if you pay for access. If an initial upload was incomplete or damaged, then the downloads will be the same for all users. Your Usenet provider has no control over this. Similarly, your provider has no control over whether initial uploads are password protected or not.

The only thing Usenet fees assure is retention of initial uploads for a list of newsgroups. Nothing more*

*The above is why I don't pay for Usenet: don't see the sense of throwing $ at something that isn't guaranteed.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby napho » Mon May 16, 2011 4:06 pm

The latest Newsleecher tries to address the problem of fakes with mythical passwords. Some passwords are legit though; they're attached to sites that you can join and get all the passwords from.

NewsLeecher v5.0 Beta 5
Release Date: 2011-04-16 14:24:04

+: --[ Larger Feature Addition - RAR-in-RAR File Detection ] -----
NewsLeecher can now detect RAR-in-RAR archive sets, and pause
such sets in the transfer queue if wanted. RAR-in-RAR archives
are, as the name implies, RAR archives containing other, often
passworded, RAR archives. Most RAR-in-RAR archives are either
fake or spam.
NewsLeecher can be setup to pause ANY detected RAR-in-RAR
archives, or only the RAR-in-RAR archives that are password
protected. The feature can be accessed from:
Settings -> Download -> Leech Tweaks
napho

Postby georgegad » Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:
georgegad wrote:but in the end he is right. They are just a bunch of cunts.

i'd agree with this, if it weren't for the fact that i get the impression it's astraweb he was calling cunts.

I got the impression astraweb was only mentioned for reference but rereading it again i can see how it can look.

I would hope that is not the case.
astraweb are trying to run a business and wouldnt mess with their customers like that.
It seemed clear to me his problems were caused by outsiders with an axe to grind against downloading, but if you are a new user it may not be so obvious.
georgegad

Postby jazmanuk » Wed May 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I am sorry for the outburst. It REALLY gets my goat with these passworded files, espeically if you use block accounts with limited allowence. My mate downloaded one from Yenc-PP and decided to decode the PW and even though the file was 700mb the actuall play time was 5 seconds. Clear fakes put out by AP2P n00bs.

I found another good quality index site with non fakes.

p.s. I was calling the passworders a bunch on cunts not AW... just clearing that up :)
jazmanuk

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 pm

in which case, agreed. :toast:
MrFredPFL

Postby qshusto » Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am

As a rule avoid Apps downloads like the plague, no matter how legit they may look. some things have changed for the worse in recent months but not as bad as Apps uploads, 99% are infected by malware.

There are a few free NZB search engines that flag passworded downloads (like some videos for example), but you'll have to find them for yourself, I don't feel comfortable promoting any external site in Slyck.
qshusto

Re:Dont Purchase from: Damaged or passwordedwnloads are alwa

Postby rsdno » Sun May 29, 2011 6:46 pm

If we can get people to not purchase anything on passworded sites ,I would see once a month ehat the procucts are I found no spyware when I looked because if we had to spend money on our computers we couldnt jump through these slugs hoops ,I have a disease and no many people but even getting one or 2 people to avoid these Passworded sites woul;d help

ty rsdno
rsdno

Return to NewsGroups