Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Astraweb 411

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Astraweb 411

Postby Sfl0w » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Pulling my head out of the digital sand and looking around at providers again, I have heard some good and bad about astraweb - Looking to know all before I switch, how does astraweb measure up? Spill it people...
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Re: Astraweb 411

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 am

I've been using Astraweb's 'Unlimited DSL Plan' for almost 2 years now without any problems.

If you're looking for the cheapest NSP I suspect some others are cheaper than Astraweb but, in my experience, they're one of the best for service and reliability.

I have previously used Newshosting and Giganews - both of which also provided an excellent, reliable service - but I switched to Astraweb, mainly because they were much cheaper (at the time).
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby velocity37 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I've been on their $96/yr plan for about a year and a half now. Everything has been rock solid. What I love about Astraweb is that their retention also includes headers.

A year ago I used to run into spotty completion on rare occasions, but that hasn't happened for quite a while now. I was on Giganews diamond for two years before switching to Astraweb. I haven't regretted the switch.
velocity37

Postby NewsgroupReviews » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 pm

We test the services for NGR on a regular basis and find that on rare occasions Astraweb speed lags on older posts. With that said though we would definitely recommend the service. Especially with their $11/mo. or $96/yr special. Alternatives in that price range include UseNetServer, Supernews and NewsDemon.
NewsgroupReviews

Postby Sfl0w » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks all - Have a few months left on my one year account with usenetserver - just hit the 800s so we'll see where the retention is when the account is up and then Atraweb might be the way to go
I need more CowBell!!
Sfl0w

Postby WBJJ » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Sfl0w. I am confused, you said just today that you have accounts at easynews and newshosting. I guess usenetserver deactivated your last couple months of service a few months early? I hope you didn't pay for a full year.
WBJJ

Postby Sfl0w » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:54 pm

We do still have a usenetserver account and my live in nephew uses it - it's a pain sometimes when you have two geeks in the same house and only one internet connection. I wish we could get 60+ Mbit here, but Charter is only topping out at 20 Mbit - account sharing would be ideal, but good luck finding that in the states...

Which provider(s) do you use?

PS. - Our download volume is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 terabytes a month between unlimited accounts.
I need more CowBell!!
Sfl0w

Postby peterscott » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:06 am

Hello,
I have always used astraweb and it has been almost 7 months now and till date I have not faced any kind of problem. So I highly prefer it due to its reliable and effective service,good connectivity and also cheap and reasonable pricing.
:)

Return to NewsGroups