Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Which "block based" nntp server does not count header DL?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby kocoman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:23 pm

(expect astraweb..)

thanks
<edit: we're not really enforcing the 3 line sig rule strictly, but please shorten yours. thanks.>
kocoman

Re: Which "block based" nntp server does not count header DL?

Postby gorlov » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:47 am

Usenet-News.net
gorlov

Postby angelium » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Unliminews.com also doesn't count headers ;)

But headers are useless these days ... you should try NZB's
angelium

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:26 pm

angelium wrote:But headers are useless these days

i disagree, unless all you're interested in is the same shit everyone else is looking for - you know, the stuff you find in the search cloud because you have no independent thoughts of your own, and can only follow the masses. headers may be a royal pain in the ass, but if you're looking for anything non-mainstream, chances are they're something you're going to need.

unless i'm really missing something, NZBs are only a viable option for popular content.
MrFredPFL

Postby angelium » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:08 am

@MrFredPFL : you are missing something ;)

you are talking about NZB referenced sites who only reference main stream media,

but

there is a lot of search engines referencing ALL headers and compacting them as NZB ;)

here is a list :

binsearch.info
NZBINDEX.nl
angelium

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:50 pm

i just tried both of those sites to search for an NZB for something i know exists (i've seen it in headers :lol: ). neither of those sites turned up an NZB for it.

if everything you search for has an NZB, congratulations. but it seems to me that not everything does. i'd be very interested to know what percentage of Usenet posts are covered by NZBs. i don't doubt that percentage is climbing, but i am also pretty sure it's lower than you think it is.

i am now going to download the item in question by using what i found with headers, something i could not do if i only used NZBs and considered headers "useless". :P
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:08 pm

the plot thickens. i just tried both of those sites for something similar, but different than my last search. one site turned it up, the other didn't. :?
MrFredPFL

Postby velocity37 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 am

Yeah, I've had hit and miss results with Usenet indexing services. I usually use a couple of different ones just in case.

Binsearch is usually pretty reliable, but its search can be picky at times. I've searched for terms I know are in indexed groups with no results. Funnily enough, sometimes Google will find these results on Binsearch in its raw listing pages.

I'd say these types of sites have reduced my need to grab headers at least 90%, but they still don't make grabbing headers "useless".
velocity37

Postby gorlov » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 am

You don't have to search in binsearch; You can also list *all* headers in a group, just like you do when downloading headers, using the "browse newsgroup" function.
Of course you then lose the advantage of the search being able to search across many groups, but your don't lose anything compared to download headers.
(Although header downloads are still free with us...) :D

-Goran
Usenet-News.net & Ngroups.NET
gorlov

Return to NewsGroups