Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Unliminews

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Unliminews

Postby unliminews » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Hello,

I’m the co-founder of Unliminews, this topic is the place for any question, comment or idea regarding our service and our own newsgroup client, PureNZB.
Feel free to post here or to send me a PM.

Notes:
- help Slyck and get an extra 10% free time when you subscribe using: http://unliminews.com/?part=slyck
- Check our Twitter (http://twitter.com/unliminews) for news and discounts

Enjoy,
Unliminews.
Last edited by unliminews on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unliminews

Re: Unliminews

Postby unliminews » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi,

to celebrate our partnership with Slyck, we are happy to offer 20 trial accounts loaded with 10Gb.

PM me your email address to get your account -no spam guaranteed- and post your review in this topic or under Unliminews in the "Slyck Recommends" section.

Cheers.
unliminews

Postby angelium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:00 pm

PM sent!
I really wanted to test your service and PureNZB client before spending my money...
angelium

Postby GrymRpr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:36 am

Pm'd a request also as my time with another provider is about expire ( Not that I have any complaints about their service/speed/retention )

Can PureNZB be configured to work with other providers or, are your servers addressees hard-coded into that client?
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby unliminews » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:09 am

Hi,

I need your email address to open your trial account, can you PM it?

And yes, PureNZB works only with Unliminews in the US and 2 providers in Europe (Z51 and Illiminews).

Enjoy!
GrymRpr wrote:Pm'd a request also as my time with another provider is about expire ( Not that I have any complaints about their service/speed/retention )

Can PureNZB be configured to work with other providers or, are your servers addressees hard-coded into that client?
unliminews

Postby GrymRpr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 am

GrymRpr wrote:Pm'd a request also as my time with another provider is about expire ( Not that I have any complaints about their service/speed/retention )

unliminews wrote:Hi,

I need your email address to open your trial account, can you PM it?

I knew I forgot something in that PM :lol:

GrymRpr wrote:Can PureNZB be configured to work with other providers or, are your servers addressees hard-coded into that client?

unliminews wrote:And yes, PureNZB works only with Unliminews in the US and 2 providers in Europe (Z51 and Illiminews).

Can another client be used? ( after entering server/nick/pw info )

The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby unliminews » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:02 pm

I knew I forgot something in that PM :lol:

No problem, I've just sent you the connection info.

Can another client be used? ( after entering server/nick/pw info )

Of course yes. The connection info is in your account page, just remember to add @unliminews to your login.
We use ports 23, 80, 119, and 443 for regular connections and 563 and 600 for SSL.
unliminews

Postby angelium » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:10 pm

i got my 10gb account, i'll make some tests
thx
angelium

Postby angelium » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 pm

OK, I’ve tested the service.

I’m an Astraweb customer with the $15 per month unlimited DSL plan to fully use my DSL line. Not much complaint about the price and the QoS, except completion that is sometimes problematic on very old files.

I’m a little frustrated with Grabit so I wanted to try their tool after watching the video they have on their website.

Here my review so far, I’ll post any update here:

Install is a breeze, it automatically checks for updates after the install and it does this every time you open the application.
Then you have a connection window where you enter your credentials and you select your provider (Unliminews and 2 others that seem more for Europe).

Search is integrated with BinSearch, NzbIndex, BinnewZ and others. Binsearch and NZBIndex are with instant search, like we have with Google, it refreshes the results while you type which is quite cool.

Once you’ve found what you want, you click on the file and it will be automatically be opened with PureNZB and the download starts automatically.

Bandwidth is excellent and very stable; I have ATT Uverse with 12 Mbps and download between 1.2 and 1.6 Mo/s which is better than what I get with Astraweb (I get around 1Mo/s sometimes less).

The thing I love is that if you download a video file, as soon as the first part of the movie is loaded, you can start watching it. I knew there was software to do this, but this is the first time I see it integrated with the search and DL tool: this is really a killer.

The only thing I can regret here is that the player cannot be full screen (I can maximize the window but I will always have the status bar).

Once the download is done, you can open the DL folder from PureNZB or go to a dedicated tab (My Collections) where you can select a poster for your file and launch the movie. It’s like a simplified version of iTunes for movies. I’d just like to be able to add my other movie files there.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with my free trial, I’ve downloaded 8.86 Gb so far and I think I will go with Unliminews for the next month, it’s worth the 5 buck difference with Astraweb and can be even cheaper if I download less than 50Gb.
angelium

Postby unliminews » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your nice review.

angelium wrote:The thing I love is that if you download a video file, as soon as the first part of the movie is loaded, you can start watching it. I knew there was software to do this, but this is the first time I see it integrated with the search and DL tool: this is really a killer.

The only thing I can regret here is that the player cannot be full screen (I can maximize the window but I will always have the status bar).

Actually, you can go full screen: hit "Enter" during the video preview ;)

We can work something out to add other files to the media center. Stay tuned for future versions.

Thanks!
unliminews

Postby angelium » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:31 pm

That's right! when I press enter it's going to full screen :)

So far, the service is really good and I love PureNZB ... i'll probably switch to unliminews at the end of the month ;)
angelium

Postby max2 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Good speed, software is ok prefer to just use my own. I do not need a certain type of software for the same features. Easy to do with any newsgroup reader or even a nzb client.

The only disadvantage at the moment is the lower retention but that is not a bad thing for everyone. There not bad. I only have one question are your newsgroup servers in Germany?
max2

Postby unliminews » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:44 pm

max2 wrote:Good speed, software is ok prefer to just use my own. I do not need a certain type of software for the same features. Easy to do with any newsgroup reader or even a nzb client.

The only disadvantage at the moment is the lower retention but that is not a bad thing for everyone. There not bad. I only have one question are your newsgroup servers in Germany?

Hi Max2,

Thanks for reviewing our service.

The web server is hosted in Germany but the Newsgroups servers are in the Netherlands. We have a peering between North America and our servers and a guaranteed 100mbps bandwidth to ensure a good quality of service.

We originally started in Europe and Netherlands is the best place for hosting your Newsgroup server.

We have plans to open a new farm here in the beginning of FY11 more for economic reasons (peering is a little expensive) than performance.

Unliminews
Last edited by unliminews on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unliminews

Postby unliminews » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi,

I still have 5 accounts available for you to review the service...

Send me your email address and your desired login by PM so that I can open your account.

Enjoy!
unliminews

Postby Sfl0w » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Service and software tested - Here is a short review:

Software Client:
Setup of PureNZB was quick and easy, has a very clean interface with excellent nzb searching from public sites built in, very simple and easy to use. Only issue I noticed was that I was unable to play any videos on the fly before they were complete - not sure why, overall a very efficient client.

NNTP Service:
Speed was excellent with mild fluctuations, retention is excellent with no completion problems at the top end of their 400 day retention - spot checking retention was good across multiple groups.

Cheers
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Postby unliminews » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Sfl0w wrote:Service and software tested - Here is a short review:

Thanks for doing this, we really appreciate.

Sfl0w wrote:Software Client:
Setup of PureNZB was quick and easy, has a very clean interface with excellent nzb searching from public sites built in, very simple and easy to use. Only issue I noticed was that I was unable to play any videos on the fly before they were complete - not sure why, overall a very efficient client.

The video preview starts once the first part of a movie is fully downloaded, if you download a movie in one part (quite rare, I agree) this won't work.
The video player is able to play virtually any video format and the compression must be RAR (or PAR but it is for splitting), it won't work with ZIP or any other type of compression.

Did you try the Media Center (My Collections tab)?

Sfl0w wrote:NNTP Service:
Speed was excellent with mild fluctuations, retention is excellent with no completion problems at the top end of their 400 day retention - spot checking retention was good across multiple groups.

Cheers

Thanks!
Unliminews
unliminews

Postby GrymRpr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 am

Finished off my Accounts 10GB So, Here are my thoughts.

First off... I had some issues with the Free 10 GB account connecting ( through Grabit & PureNZB ) But the Technical support team ( Thanks Ludovic ) fixed the issue quickly ( An issue with the manual creation of my test account took about 20 Minutes & a few emails to straighten out )

PureNZB was a snap to install and all in all not a bad client. The integrated search works quite well btw. My only complaint is that it's tied to Unliminews :P as I have been wanting to move away from Grabit.

Very stable bandwidth as it maxed out my downstream quickly with no hiccups.
Retention wasn't an Issue & of course, will expand as time passes.

Would I switch from UseNetServer?
Not now as I get:
Unlimited Downloads ( No Caps )
256 SSL
700+ Days of Binary Retention
20 Concurrent Connections

All for $10.00 USD a month. For unlimited account with Unliminews it's $19.99. ( With 50 Concurrent Connections )
When the price comes down & retention goes up I will seriously think about switching just because of the speedy customer service I received.

The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby unliminews » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm

GrymRpr wrote:For unlimited account with Unliminews it's $19.99. ( With 50 Concurrent Connections )
When the price comes down & retention goes up I will seriously think about switching just because of the speedy customer service I received.

Hi,

we listened to you (and others) and come with a brand new offer with unlimited only accounts starting at $9.99.

Moreover, when you subscribe using the Slyck link: http://unliminews.com/?part=slyck you get and extra 10% free time.

Enjoy!
unliminews

Postby semela » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 am

Hello.
I was wondering if Unliminews is a reseller?
Cheers
semela

Postby SleepyOne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 am

semela wrote:Hello.
I was wondering if Unliminews is a reseller?
Cheers

They are a www.news-service.com reseller.
SleepyOne

Postby semela » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you for the provided information

Where can i check out resellers list for news-service and different NNTP providers?
semela

Postby wrench » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:18 pm

There is a comprehensive list and comparisons of newsgroup providers here:

http://newsgroupservers.net/
wrench

Support doesn't respond

Postby CyberWrangler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 am

Hi, I'm a new subscriber to Unliminews/PureNZB, signed up for the trial 99 cent plan with 1GB download maximum. So after several days, I maxed out, and started getting "Your download quota is depleted" messages from your service. So I paid for your 20GB/mo. plan yesterday afternoon. Well, it's more than 24 hours later, and I still can't resume my downloads...and I have one partial download of rar files now frozen in "pause" limbo. :(

Even though my account now lists my subscription is good up to May 5. But my download ratio for the month remains at 1GB/1GB. Shouldn't it now say 1GB/20GB?

There is no withdrawal registered yet from my checking account, to indicate this $9.99 payment. I posted to support this problem, last night (about a few hours after making my payment). No response yet.

Also, about a week ago I posted a question to support, that I cannot find the "play" button or option to do online streaming early into the download. These were rar files, BTW. And I'm still waiting for a reply, but certainly not holding my breath.

I discovered your thread for PureNZB users by happenstance, while perusing Slyck's web site. Otherwise, I would've never known. So, what the heck is the problem with your service? Kinda makes me worried about security issues.
CyberWrangler

Postby unliminews » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 am

Hello CyberWrangler, we had no payment from you ! do you have a paypal receipt ? if not, you didnt completed the refill process ...

by the way we don't sell 20gb block account, we only have 4 offers :

1) 1gb trial for 0.99 USD
2 ) Unlimited @5mb/s for 9.99 USD
3) Unlimited @10mb/s for 12.99 USD
4) Unlimited @100mb/s for 14.99 USD

We had absolutly no emails from you ... are you sure to send to the good email addresse ?

unliminews@z51.biz

we answer in 2H max ... but usually less than 10 min ...
unliminews

Postby CyberWrangler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:10 pm

unliminews wrote:Hello CyberWrangler, we had no payment from you ! do you have a paypal receipt ? if not, you didnt completed the refill process ...

Okay, payment just showed up today as "PAYPAL *Z5", but it's for $0.99 again. And it took a little over two days for payment to be processed. I had selected $9.99, and don't know why it came out as only $0.99...especially since I already paid that amount initially. I know I didn't mistakenly choose that option again, as it's clearly blocked in red, at top of page, and is much smaller than the other options. I also clearly recall choosing the $9.99 option.

I didn't receive any paypal receipt, BTW. But I know I did complete the payment process in full.

by the way we don't sell 20gb block account, we only have 4 offers

Sorry, I got that confused with another service I'm testing, "Easynews".

We had absolutly no emails from you ... are you sure to send to the good email addresse ?

unliminews@z51.biz

I used your "contact us" form that appears when I select the "Need Help?" link in PureNZB Black Edition. Which does not reveal which email it sends through, if any. And I used the same email I registered with, to get a response. But now that I contacted a real representative for PureNZB, you still remain mute as to my question already posted: where is that mysterious video streaming option?

we answer in 2H max ... but usually less than 10 min ...

Yes, I know, I've read the PureNZB features page...and that's why I didn't wait more than a few hours to post this deactivation problem.

Maybe your PureNZB form requires an update? Have you looked at their contact form settings, does it use the correct email? Is it also possible that the payment form needs an update, too? Maybe its payment programming wires are crossed.
CyberWrangler

Next

Return to NewsGroups