Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Speed Spikes

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Speed Spikes

Postby dempsey600 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 am

Hi,

i am relitively new to the usenet world, but i will get straight to the point.

i am using newsbin pro as my newsreader software. in the lower left corner where the download speed is indicated on average is about 3.3 Mbps / 430 Kbps. however when i pause the download for upwards of 1 minute and then resume the download the speed spikes to about 10.7 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps. im just wondering why this is?? i have checked to see if the speed does actually increase to this and it does.

i am wondering if there is anyway to maintain this speed? as it would be better to have these sort of speeds for obvious reasons.

any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

ant
dempsey600

Re: Speed Spikes

Postby Mcdon2401 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

If it's any help, it happens quite often when I'm using Vuze. The simple description would seem to be that when you resume, you start to pick up lots of "handshakes" (for want of a better word) from other computers. It would appear that these are short enough that the ISP doesn't throttle your connection. Alternatively, it could be that both your computer, and the ones it contacts to, have to agree a sustainable level of Tx and Rx speeds, so they are testing the line before settling down to something more realistic.

Or I could just be talking mince, and I haven't got a clue :)
It's only funny until someone gets hurt,

Then it's bloody hilarious :)

It is the mark of an educated mind, to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.
Mcdon2401

Return to NewsGroups