Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

NNTP proxy via Tor (sort of like watching Hulu/TVB non-USA)

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

NNTP proxy via Tor (sort of like watching Hulu/TVB non-USA)

Postby kocoman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:51 am

Has anyone got Tor to work with NNTP ?

I want to use a Tor's person that their ISP supports "Free NNTP server", but authenticates via their IP.
(sort of like watching Hulu/TVB non-USA)

I'm new to proxies. I thought proxies are transparent to servers, i.e. if A uses a proxy to access B, B would think A is coming from the proxy, not from A (cannot tell). Is this not the case?

I just downloaded FreeProxy hoping to setup an NNTP proxy at home so that when I am on the road, I can still access my ISP's news server (which I assume grants access based on IP).

Can FreeProxy do this? If not, what program would allow me to do this? If yes, how do I set up users in FreeProxy?
<edit: we're not really enforcing the 3 line sig rule strictly, but please shorten yours. thanks.>
kocoman

Re: NNTP proxy via Tor (sort of like watching Hulu/TVB non-USA)

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Has anyone got Tor to work with NNTP ?

i hope not. i'm not real clear about what exactly you're trying to do here - but if you're trying to use TOR to download from usenet, imo, that's an abuse of TOR. as for proxies - i don't know anything about the program you mention, but be advised that all proxies are not created equal. there are varying degrees of anonymity.
MrFredPFL

Re: NNTP proxy via Tor (sort of like watching Hulu/TVB non-USA)

Postby ejonesss » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:42 pm

nntp is the protocol for newsgroups usenet port 119.

you are going to have very slow downloads and you will be abusing the tor system .

as long as you are not posting you should be safe using the newsgroups.

i have never heard of anyone being busted for downloading from newsgroups.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Return to NewsGroups