Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Retention Question?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Retention Question?

Postby Sc00byD00 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:58 am

Hi all -

This is my first posting so please be gentle and forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. I am new to the usenet scene and I have done my research and read the Slyck newsgroups guides and everything seem copasedic - think I have a good newsreader picked out (Newsleecher) so now I am struggling with which usenet provider to go with, really best I can determine it comes down to cost and retention, so my question is from an experience point of view how important is retention?

Thanks and cheers!
Sc00byD00

Re: Retention Question?

Postby multivariable » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 am

can't help you experience-wise, but top marks for "copasedic" :toast:

even though i'd have spelled it with a T rather than a D :P

Edit: what would i know. all these other spellings are accepted somewhere or other: copacetic, copesetic, copesettic
multivariable

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:32 am

:lol:

Ignore Mutli, he can be a little pedandic at times :wink:

The importance of retention is fairly subjective really ...

If you often search for older, rarer stuff, the longer the retention the more likely you are to find what you're looking for. If you mostly download stuff that's new or recently uploaded, retention will be of less importance to you.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Sc00byD00 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks I think that clears it up, but as I understand it most things are re-posted within a couple months so is it safe to say retention rates don't really matter say after 500 days?
Sc00byD00

Postby velocity37 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:31 am

I think for the most part, yes.

Having the extra retention certainly isn't a bad thing, and not everything is re-posted. Usenet indexing services have caught up with retention growth. On more than a few occasions I have found files I wanted on Binsearch that were only available at 600+ days. It really depends on what you're looking for. Have a look around some of the Usenet indexes and NZB sites to get an idea of what your needs are.

As it has been said, at what point retention "matters" is hard to say. Keep in mind that people were questioning the usefulness of 200 day retention just a few years ago. Usenet has changed drastically over the years thanks to competing providers, and I'm certainly in favor of infinite binary retention :)

--

As far as providers, I give a thumbs up to Astraweb (Slyck user reviews | $96/yr unlimited | $11/mo unlimited)
They're very cutthroat in keeping up with Giganews' retention :wink:
velocity37

Postby justin3 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:56 am

I honestly think about a year's worth of retention is all that we need. I can OCCASIONALLY find something older than a year that I need, but its really rare. I think what is most important to me is the speed, the price, the completion, and then the retention. I guess reliability is really the most important, but that is a given when it comes to what is important.

I have tried almost all the providers and for me:

Best Speed: Newsdemon
Best Retention: Giganews
Best Completion: newsdemon
Best Price: Supernews reduced price through newsgroupreviews
Best Service/Support: newsdemon
Best block: Red Orb News
Best Overall: I use Newsdemon

Giganews is also really good but for the price, Newsdemon is just as good for a much much better price.
justin3

Postby gsorel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 am

What do you think about he UsenetServer
special? The $10/month and the $95.40/year for life specials at UsenetServer
are the best value on Unlimited Usenet packages available anywhere. For this
price, you get unlimited downloads, uncapped speed, 20 connections, SSL, newly
upgraded retention to 650 days of binary, 2+ years of text retention and access
to UsenetServer’s Global Search feature. :thumbup:
gsorel

Postby peer2grifin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am

gsorel wrote:

What do you think about he UsenetServer
special? The $10/month and the $95.40/year for life specials at UsenetServer
are the best value on Unlimited Usenet packages available anywhere. For this
price, you get unlimited downloads, uncapped speed, 20 connections, SSL, newly
upgraded retention to 650 days of binary, 2+ years of text retention and access
to UsenetServer’s Global Search feature. :thumbup:

gsorel, thats not a bad deal, but I would still choose Newsdemon because of the free newsreader, 50 connections instead of 20. Plus, I use Paypal and usenetserver can not setup a monthly automatic bill with paypal. Sometimes it is the little things that make the difference.
peer2grifin

Postby Sc00byD00 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the info - I have decided to give Usenetserver a trial run, I have asked around on several boards and they have come highly recommended, the price of $10 mixed with the retention and live support is a good fit for what I like. I am still learning usenet so I just started downloading with nzbs. oh by then way thanks for the newsdemon info I might have gone with them for the free reader but I am on a mac :) I am using NZBVortex and usenetserver's global search to get my nzbs but I think I am going to try nzbmatrix as there seems to be more available

So far the decision to go with usenetserver was a good one, completion rock..I'll keep updating.

Also as a kind of a side note - I don't know why it took me so long to find the usenet or why I ever used torrents :pirate:
Sc00byD00

Return to NewsGroups