Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Trouble connecting to a certain server

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Trouble connecting to a certain server

Postby NuclearWinter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:52 pm

I unreservedly apologize for noobing your board up, but been an absolute newsgroup green I'm having trouble connecting to a certain server.

There is a file located here: http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci ... 01937.html

Which I am completely unsure how to get to.

What I have been doing in putting "sci.tech-archive.net" as the server in the Alt.Binz program and trying to connect. I don't know if it needs a username/password to connect to the server. I can't seem to find a sing up page on the website.

I came here hoping if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong/outline what I need to do.

If anyone help me out in being able to download a file from the link specified above, I will be forever in your debt is it will literally change the course of my life.

NuclearWinter

Re: Trouble connecting to a certain server

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:19 pm

i could be wrong, but i think the link you specified above IS the file. what you are looking at is a server where someone has taken newsgroup posts and put them up as webpages. the page you link to is a transcription of the actual newsgroup post. the post you are looking at is simply a list - it does not contain each of the listed items in their entirety.

what you need to understand is that that server is NOT a news server, it is a normal webserver. i assume you are trying to download one of the books/manuals listed there. such a thing might very well be on usenet - or it might not, but that website is, i repeat, not a newserver. if the book or manual in question has been posted to a newsgroup, you not only need alt-binz or another newsreader, but, more importantly, you need access to a newsgroup server. some ISPs provide newsgroup access at no additional charge, but many do not. of the ones that do, many offer only a limited selection. if you cannot access newsgroups through your ISP (you will need to ask them if you can, and if so, how), then you need to pay a premium newsgroup provider for access. at the top of the page you'll see 2 "usenet newsgroups" tutorial links. that would be a good place to start.

once you have access, you will need to find the particular item you want. but first, you need a general understanding of how newsgroups work. good luck :toast:
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 pm

ps: it's also possible that the items listed on that page have been made available on that webserver too. but you will have to look around for them - they are not on that page.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 pm

the more i look at it, the more i think the people at the email address at the top of the post want you to contact them so they can sell you that stuff. i could be wrong, :?
MrFredPFL

Postby enigmax » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:59 am

You are indeed not wrong Fred

www.student-plus.net

Posting a link to prove it would probably be a breach of the forum rules, but they probably wouldn't be that happy to learn that a Scribd search turns up at least a few of their titles......
enigmax

Return to NewsGroups