Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New to this

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New to this

Postby tomchew » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm quite new to newsgroups and I'm curious as to why i would use and pay for them instead of going for torrent sites like pirate bay or using frost wire i dont get it, someone educate me please :D
tomchew

Re: New to this

Postby fishslice » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:09 pm

There are two ways in which newsgroups are used. As either an exchange for information, kinda like this forum, within a repository, or binary exchange. Usually the data is small, so larger files are split or spanned, which I guess explains why historically we see ISO images stored as lots of RAR's and so on. This was a popular way of sharing large files, going back a decade or more, and ideal for slow networks.

Before the kid's and caravans arrived, this was a popular way of sharing files. Bitorrent, has simplified the whole process, so there isn't the same need for newsgroups. Public news repositories don't make large spanned data quite so accessible.

You may want avoid public trackers like the Pirate Bay. Tend to host a lot of fake files, and worse. Look for a decent private tracker, get on some forums and ask nicely for an invite. There's plenty around.

Also remember Google is your best friend :) also, remember, aside from your hardware, you don't have to pay for anything. :pirate:
fishslice

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm

tomchew wrote:I'm quite new to newsgroups and I'm curious as to why i would use and pay for them instead of going for torrent sites like pirate bay or using frost wire i dont get it, someone educate me please :D

First of all, Usenet use is - for all practical purposes - anonymous. Most of the better news server providers do NOT keep logs of their customer's activity. That = NO LAWSUIT FOR YOU! Uploading? That's a little different. But if you're smart - ie: proxy use - you can get around that as well. But downloading? As I said - no logs means no one knows what you download. You'll notice that out there in usenet land, the current lawsuits are directed at usenet providers rather than end users. That's because TPTB have no idea what we're grabbing or even if we're grabbing anything at all.

Second - the sheer volume of material out there. There is a dedicated newsgroup for almost everything. You like compromising pictures of Asian squirrel monkeys? There is probably an alt.binaries.weirdmonkeypix just for you. And almost everything that appears on the PTP networks appears first in the newsgroups. 0 day releases? Usenet is firstest with the mostest.

Third, there is literally no waiting. Unlike torrenting - which often takes a while to ramp up in speed and is entirely dependent on how many are seeding and what their upload pipe is like - when I download from a newsgroup, I am almost instantly downloading at full bandwidth. In fact, I have to choke my usenet client software so I don't oversaturate my connection - making it impossible to surf and do other things at the same time. What can I say? The difference is seeing my download speed in megabytes per second rather than kilobytes. Grabbing an entire lossless rip in mere seconds is a rush.
Last edited by Hoosierdaddy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hoosierdaddy

Postby tomchew » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Maybe i should just see it for myself then, can you recommend a newsgroups site and maybe a tutorial that a fella can go threw please!.
tomchew

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:12 pm

MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

MrFredPFL

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 pm

tomchew wrote:Maybe i should just see it for myself then, can you recommend a newsgroups site and maybe a tutorial that a fella can go threw please!.

Well Tom, it's a lot more involved than that. For that reason, newsgroups are NOT for the plug-and-play crowd.

First, you have to have newsgroup access. That means either you access usenet via your internet service provider's own dedicated server or you pay a premium provider for access. Most of the major broadband ISP's (read cable companies) have dropped their dedicated newsgroup servers under pressure from MPAA/RIAA lawyers. So, without that access, you must pay a premium provider for access.

Second, you must have a usenet client. That's the software you use to connect to usenet. There are lots of great free ones, and other more full featured ones which generally cost you a little money.

Third, you must decide whether you want to download content the old fashioned (and more thorough) way - ie: downloading headers and browsing through favorite groups. Or do you want to use NZB sites and usenet search engines to grab NZB files which will automatically load what you want to download.

Those tutorials linked by MrFredPFL are a GREAT place to start. Read and absorb. Then go forth to conquer!
Hoosierdaddy

Postby rachely476 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi! I’ve just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.
rachely476
Unorthodox Diet

New to this

Postby multivariable » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:05 am

i did LOL!
multivariable

Postby sunnyd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 am

LOL @ Unorthodox diet
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd