Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

GrabIT download speeds at 15KB's

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

GrabIT download speeds at 15KB's

Postby MattusUK » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a Virgin National Broadband customer in the UK, I live about 2 miles from the exchange and usually have no problems with my download speeds.

Ive just purchased the diamond giganews account and am using grabit but am only getting a download speed of 15KB's, now ive spoken to my ISP's tech support who advised there is a bottleneck in place but it shouldnt be causing it to be this slow!

Any idea's would be a great help
MattusUK

Re: GrabIT download speeds at 15KB's

Postby velocity37 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Try connecting to Giganews using one of their alternate ports. Also, try using a newsreader that supports SSL (such as SABnzbd).

Those should help if your ISP is being prejudice to NNTP traffic.
velocity37

Postby MattusUK » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Thank you velocity37, I had tried the different Giganews ports with no luck, I've just downloaded SABnzbd and am now getting an average speed of 407KB/s
MattusUK

Postby zarathustra2k1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 pm

What package have you purchased? Whichever, that's still pretty slow (about 3Mbit/s iicc), considering the lowest plan is 10Mb/s. I reckon you're hitting the throttled hours - here's the SP (scroll down):

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html.

Either download off-peak or get the 50Mb/s plan - you're never restricted then. I love it - all maxed-out all the time.

P.S. Ain't SAB the shi^H^H^H business..? ;)

Edit:
-----
Just as an aside, why did you choose Giga over Astra? I don't get the logic of paying 3x the price for a virtually-identical service...
"All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
zarathustra2k1

Postby MattusUK » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Giganews was just what I am familiar with, my bro in law used to swear by it so it was the first port of call for me... should have done more research as to what was available really but was just eager to get going y'know!

Thanks for the support guys, I'll definatley be sticking around!
MattusUK

Return to NewsGroups