Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Red Orb free 1 Gig

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Red Orb free 1 Gig

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

Having turned off AdBlockPlus for Slyck.com, I have seen the ads for Red Orb, so I went ahead and tried the free 1 Gig deal.

Started my DL, got good speed, stopped a couple times for a few moments (just like usenet-news does for me).

Then, after DLing 512meg - bandwidth cap reached.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Re: Red Orb free 1 Gig

Postby RedOrbRay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:25 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear this. Do me a favor and pm me your Red Orb username (or email Red Orb support) and I'll take a good look into this. The odd thing is that the nature of limited accounts makes it so that a user usually goes over their bandwidth limit slightly not under. I'm very interested to take a look at your account to see what's up and I'll also add another gig.

Thanks for giving it a shot, and we'll make sure this is looked into and dealt with.
Ray
RedOrbRay

Postby RedOrbRay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 pm

So I think after pm'ing with HoB that I understand the issue. The problem seems to lie in downloading a file that will need more than the allotted GB bandwidth to get. Even though a user may use up their bandwidth downloading most of the file, in the end the file doesn't finish and the user has nothing to show for it.

HoB has helped us realize a question I think we'll be asked a lot. Now the question is how to inform the users to be careful to make sure they only attempt to download within their limit to fully maximize the bandwidth.

Hope this helps, and thanks HoB
Ray
RedOrbRay

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm

So it saw how much this would have taken to DL, knew it would throw me over, then stopped.

Am I reading it right? If so, then I have no problem with it, except maybe the wording was bad for me.

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby RedOrbRay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 pm

no, the server doesn't detect what you are downloading and make decisions like that. what i think happened is that it did download up to the gig, but that wasn't enough to finish whatever you were downloading so it capped out and you didn't get the file.

Ray
RedOrbRay

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

After it capped, I checked the DL folder. The RARs for the 4th were not there yet. The first three were unpacked, and the RARs deleted.
When I switched to usenet-news and reconnected it started DLing and took the expected amount of time for the size of the fourth file.

Also might be I'm just confused - situation normal. Maybe next time I'll find a file just under 1 gig and DL that to test it.

We are The Borg.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby RedOrbRay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm going to be reviewing the 1GB accounts to see how they are behaving, thanks for the extra info. :)

Ray
RedOrbRay

Return to NewsGroups