Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Hey, what is Red Orb News?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Hey, what is Red Orb News?

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:26 pm

If you follow our list of newsgroups providers with any regularity, you'll notice a new provider listed as #1, Red Orb News. So who are they and what have they done with my Slyck recommends list?

Here's the answer - Red Orb News is a new Usenet provider owned and operated by Ray Hoffman. You might remember Ray from back in the day. He used to own Slyck.com, but handed the reigns over to me almost two years ago. Time flies...

So anyway, since Ray left Slyck he went back to school and got himself a degree in accounting and has now created his own news service. After many days and hours of hard word, the site and service are finally complete. It's not always easy knowing who to pick for our recommended list, but since I already know Ray, I feel I can extend that trust to those looking for a newsgroup service. Another thing I like is that there's a free account that's great for newcomers. I've never liked those "free trials" that require a credit card - thankfully this one is actually free.

Anyway, that's about it...thank you!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: Hey, what is Red Orb News?

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Some more info would be good, like who the backend supplier is (im guessing probably astraweb or giganews based on the retention).
More expensive than astraweb for very similar service, i think ill wait and see reviews come in.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby RedOrbRay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Hiya,

The backend is Highwinds. They have a server farm that rocks and we are part of that. The retention for all highwinds sites that use this server farm has increased more or less by the day. Retention is one of those things that really is becoming less and less of an issue as most USP have more retention than most users will ever need at this point (in my opinion).

If you want to try it before the reviews come in you can try our free 1gb per month account. I see that I need to make it more clear on the site that it is 1GB per month, not just a one shot 1GB.

Cheers!
Ray
RedOrbRay

Postby ronaldmaustin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:25 am

I went to the main page at your site and see no 1Gig trial offer. I use Astraweb's $11 per month plan and cancel the rebill upon signing up. Personally, I just go with whatever is cheapest for an unlimited plan whenever I need service for a month. This happens about five or six times a year for me. I probably use less than 50 gigs in any given month, but I like not being limited for the price difference. I have no loyalty when it comes to Usenet service. As you say, retention is just not that important anymore, and I've never experienced downtime with any service, so it's all the same to me. I do need SSL since my ISP throttles, so you're good there. I will try you out one of these days as a few dollars more isn't going to kill me. However, I don't know what your margins are, but if you are competitive at the low end, I think you'd get a TON of business because I think most feel the same as me.
ronaldmaustin

Postby Wrinkles » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am

ronaldmaustin wrote:I went to the main page at your site and see no 1Gig trial offer. I use Astraweb's $11 per month plan and cancel the rebill upon signing up. Personally, I just go with whatever is cheapest for an unlimited plan whenever I need service for a month. This happens about five or six times a year for me. I probably use less than 50 gigs in any given month, but I like not being limited for the price difference.

You may be better off using a regular block account then? Pay once and it does not expire until you use it all which would mean for you keeping it for over a year I think if you buy a large enough one. 50 gigs every other month or so does not seem like it would be cost effective for paying for an unlimited account in your case.
Wrinkles

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:28 am

Guess they don't offer the 1GB trial anymore. No leeching for me. :(
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Return to NewsGroups