Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newbie looking for help

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newbie looking for help

Postby Simon0601 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm new at Newsgroups and need a little help. I need your suggestions for a newsgroup provider that offers SSL and a long retention. I'm UK based by the way. Also should i get a package that offers VPN as well?. And why should i use VPN?. And what should i be paying?

Theres so many to providers and options choose from. It's very confusing.

I await your suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Simon
Simon0601

Re: Newbie looking for help

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:51 pm

I use astraweb. Very long retention (pretty much industry leading, give or take a few days with giganews), half the price (or less than) of giganews, very fast (i have a 50Mbit downstream and with 10-20 connections i max it out), SSL is free. It also offers block accounts (non-expiring, handy for trying out the service without signing up to a monthly contract).
Really in my opinion as a long time usenet user its the best service for the best price.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Simon0601 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks FartingBob
Astraweb is a definate contender. What should i do about VPN? Do i need it? I want to do everything i can to avoid "The letter of Doom" Is it possible for anyone to see who is downloading what from the newsgroups?
Simon0601

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:25 am

In the UK no-one has ever been sued for downloading copyright material. Its the uploading that they use to get you, and you dont do that with newsgroups. With SSL it means its extremely difficult to see what people are downloading, but i suppose if they really wanted to make the effort its possible, but with so many using BT and the ease they can get IP addresses and "proof" (screenshots) of uploading then your about as safe as your going to get when dealing with copyrighted materials. You can get a 3rd party VPN if you are really paranoid, but its a waste of money if your just doing so for newsgroups.

Oh, and just for clarification, me, you and everyone else just downloads linux distros, right... :wink:
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Fartingbob wrote:Oh, and just for clarification, me, you and everyone else just downloads linux distros, right... :wink:

:lol: yes, we all know you're just a penguin lovin foo :)
MrFredPFL

Return to NewsGroups