Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newbie question: filenames in binary groups

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newbie question: filenames in binary groups

Postby retroshaun » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:00 pm

I asked this in some binaries usenet groups and recieved a typically sarcastic response so hopefully this forum is more user friendly!

I have been using binary groups on and off for a few years now and recently I noticed the header descriptions becomming more cryptic. Let me explain that a litle more!

So for example in a movies group, it used to be the cae that *most* posts contained the title of the movie as well as filename etc. Now I am seeing more and more posts simply containing the filename itself which is pretty much always in the 8.3 format, or its some sort of cryptic name such as "ewdp-tmanwwbbking.xvid.cd1.rar" (taken from a quick browse of some current headers). Of course alot of the time you can guess at what the movie is from the name, but more likely you have no idea what it is. Sometimes the .nfo helps out, sometimes it doesnt even exist.

So I know this is probably a VERY basic question but I am confused - is there a way to see a better descrption of all the posts and their actual contents? Do NZB fiels do that? (I have no realy understanding of how these index files work). Or is it a matter of searching for the file name in google or a usenet search fo some sort? For huge lists of files, this can be very time consming! If it helps, I use newsLeecher as my usenet client.

OK - thats it - please could someone give me some guidance? And apologies for a probably rather stupid question, but I genuinely would like to know!

Thanks.
retroshaun

Re: Newbie question: filenames in binary groups

Postby napho » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:11 pm

What about using indexing sites?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44446
napho

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:15 pm

To be honest..not really, the nfo file would be your best source, other than that you would need to use your best judgement on the title. I've come across many files that I couldn't decipher the contents, and it just gets ignored. Unless there is something that explains it's post, it's almost impossible.

The people that post them should be a bit better at explaining it, but alot of them get lazy and don't wanna bother with it.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby retroshaun » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:32 pm

Yeah I tried the index sites. Thing is it kinda removes the whole purpose of having a newsreader in that it adds an extra "step" and an extra piece of software to the equation. Also, it means you do't have the luxury of only viewing headers/uploads since your last refresh, which is a feature I value a great deal in a newreader.

I'm kinda confused as to why this started becoming a seemingly more frequent practice. I noticed it for a long time in games binary groups but movies and TV seem to be picking up speed lately.
retroshaun

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Most people are using indexing sites now to find their stuff. I've pretty much abandoned downloading the headers, unless it's a small group.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby napho » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Don't forget that the RIAA and MPAA are trolling Usenet now and uploaders want to be careful, so putting the full name out there might result in complaints to the companies and also corrupt files with the same name uploaded. I guess you'll just have to think in terms of the first letter of all the words in a movie name, or a release group, or go for the nfo files. And I still say indexing sites are the way to go for most things. :)
napho

Postby max2 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 pm

retroshaun wrote:I asked this in some binaries usenet groups and recieved a typically sarcastic response so hopefully this forum is more user friendly!

I have been using binary groups on and off for a few years now and recently I noticed the header descriptions becomming more cryptic. Let me explain that a litle more!

So for example in a movies group, it used to be the cae that *most* posts contained the title of the movie as well as filename etc. Now I am seeing more and more posts simply containing the filename itself which is pretty much always in the 8.3 format, or its some sort of cryptic name such as "ewdp-tmanwwbbking.xvid.cd1.rar" (taken from a quick browse of some current headers). Of course alot of the time you can guess at what the movie is from the name, but more likely you have no idea what it is. Sometimes the .nfo helps out, sometimes it doesnt even exist.

So I know this is probably a VERY basic question but I am confused - is there a way to see a better descrption of all the posts and their actual contents? Do NZB fiels do that? (I have no realy understanding of how these index files work). Or is it a matter of searching for the file name in google or a usenet search fo some sort? For huge lists of files, this can be very time consming! If it helps, I use newsLeecher as my usenet client.

OK - thats it - please could someone give me some guidance? And apologies for a probably rather stupid question, but I genuinely would like to know!

Thanks.

I have always seen this and don't mind! Find it fun to try to judge what a file is! Remember when I use to never use nzb files because I loved downloading headers and figuring out what files were! Really don't know why but I find it more fun! The best part is anticipation of getting the file is increased by ten fold! For some reason to me it is just such much more rewarding! I can't explain it. Where now with nzb files it is so dull and boring.

Either way I don't really care because I am happy someone even uploaded it. They didn't have to.
max2

Postby c0ld » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:07 am

Yep, I've started seeing this more and more when I search using binsearch. Used to be you could search by release name. So say the release name: "Shinjuku.Incident.2009.DVDRip.XviD-BiEN" would get a hit. Now though, it's posted as: "bien-xvid-suit", I almost always have to search for the release group name and look down the list of releases. No idea why they started doing it.
c0ld

Postby Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Some posting groups maintain an IRC channel you can request etc in.Not sure if this is the case with what you are seeing.
Alt-Bin comes to mind.
Curmudgeon

Postby ntscuser » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:03 pm

max2 wrote:I have always seen this and don't mind! Find it fun to try to judge what a file is! Remember when I use to never use nzb files because I loved downloading headers and figuring out what files were! Really don't know why but I find it more fun! The best part is anticipation of getting the file is increased by ten fold! For some reason to me it is just such much more rewarding! I can't explain it. Where now with nzb files it is so dull and boring.
Yes, it's the same thrill I get from buying tins without labels from the supermarket and wondering whether I'll be eating sliced peaches or catfood for dinner that evening? :shock:
ntscuser

Postby zbeast » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:28 pm

When I download I like knowing what i'm downloading.
I do sometimes download all of the images in the image groups and put them on the video wall.
that can sometimes be horrifying.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby csn21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 am

I beleive the movie posts you are talking about are mostly from Alt-Bin's #alt.binaries.movies.divx channel on EFNet. You'll find that these always have an ID in the header.

For example: [35562]-[#altbin@efnet]-[FULL]-[35562]-[09/70] - "enigma-rwm.nfo" yEnc (1/1)

You can see this was posted by an Alt-Bin user because of it states the #altbin channel in the header. You can also see the number 35562, this is the ID. You can type the ID into the Alt-Bin website and it'll give you the release name and some other information. This is the page you could enter it on: http://alt-bin.com/index.php?pg=lookup&group=abmd_req

People have always been using headers like this but only recently has it really gone into major use. This is because Usenet is becoming much more popular these days, posters use more secretive headers in order to hide the posts from organizations such as the MPAA. If the MPAA were to see the post, they could send a message to usenet hosts and have it removed.. due to it being copyrighted material. Not only would they be able to get it removed from the major servers but the user that posted it could also lose their usenet account or have their posting privilages disabled. Using secretive headers helps prevent this.

Ofcourse many other communities use headers like these, not just Alt-Bin. Most communities have websites or IRC channels that would help you find out what the post is quite easily, though I will not explain on this in more detail because it would take too long.

Before I stop writing though, another good quick way to identify posts is to get the filename and paste it into google, most of the stuff is also posted on torrent and blog sites, by typing in the filename you should get a few results back.. often they are torrent sites and usually they will give you the release name and other information to help you identify it. This works for searching too, sometimes you may happen to know the release name of what you want but not the filename, since posters tend not to include the release names in the headers any more you'll get no results on indexing sites. Type the release name into google, you should get a few results linking to sites that list the filename or torrent sites (they often have an option to display files in the torrent, click this, it will give you the filename).

:)
csn21

Return to NewsGroups