Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Has Usenet Become More Popular?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Has Usenet Become More Popular?

Postby cyberrico » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:43 pm

I've used the newgroups on occasion for the last couple of years but not so much in the last 6-8 months. I mostly used usenetserver.com for their $3/3 days unlimited when I wanted to do a massive amount of downloading over a weekend.

I'm probably going to start using usenet a lot more with a regular monthly account rather than torrents especially now that Comcast has a download cap and the idea of seeding is becoming less attractive.

I've only really had two problems with usenet in the past:

1) Searching was a bit of a headache. I mostly used newsleecher.com to search for nzb's. They are pretty good at grouping posts together but it can be difficult at times to determine whether or not I am downloading the right thing. In the past I have downloaded movies that ended up being in French or having Malaysian subtitles lol. Searching for things in categories was difficult at times.

2) Releases were slow. Often times I would see on one of the scene sites that a hot new scene release has come out and it almost immediately hits torrents and rapidshare. I'd find sometimes (again this is more than 6 months ago) that these new releases wouldn't hit the newsgroups for 2-3 days. Sometimes longer. This isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm a patient guy. Besides, if you download torrents you are wise not to be one of the first to download something as it puts you more on the radar for the MPAA, RIAA, etc.

Do any of you feel that usenet has matured in these ways in the last 6-12 months?

I have noticed that there are a few paid nzb sites out there. Are they really worth the money?
cyberrico

Re: Has Usenet Become More Popular?

Postby SleepyOne » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:00 pm

1: Use a service like NzbMatrix or Newzbin and you wont have many issues with that.

2: TV shows usually show up on usenet within 30 minutes of pre. Big games usually within an hour or two. Big movies usually show up within an hour or two. B-movies usually takes a bit longer.
SleepyOne

Postby c0ld » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:41 pm

cyberrico wrote:I have noticed that there are a few paid nzb sites out there. Are they really worth the money?
Newzbin's £1.20/month is well worth it, but I still prefer nzbs.org's rss feed for TV.
c0ld

Postby Overnet User » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:47 am

cyberrico wrote:I'm probably going to start using usenet a lot more with a regular monthly account rather than torrents especially now that Comcast has a download cap and the idea of seeding is becoming less attractive.

You don't have to give up torrenting. Just do a search for seedboxes & here are some. http://filesharefreak.com/2008/05/04/re ... ng-service . They can upload/download for you enabling you to torrent. You could always get you a vpn and run it over your torrent traffic and see if that works too.

Newsgroups are great and I would use them but perhaps maybe you would like to do both? The above will get over the Comcast issue. No need to limit yourself ya know. Also if Comcast tries to get any money to upgrade and whatnot from Obamas broadband initiative, they have to agree not to throttle. :D
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby WaTTiK » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:57 pm

I would recommend using newsleecher's supersearch service.
WaTTiK

Postby cyberrico » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Overnet User wrote:
cyberrico wrote:I'm probably going to start using usenet a lot more with a regular monthly account rather than torrents especially now that Comcast has a download cap and the idea of seeding is becoming less attractive.

You don't have to give up torrenting. Just do a search for seedboxes & here are some. http://filesharefreak.com/2008/05/04/re ... ng-service . They can upload/download for you enabling you to torrent. You could always get you a vpn and run it over your torrent traffic and see if that works too.

Newsgroups are great and I would use them but perhaps maybe you would like to do both? The above will get over the Comcast issue. No need to limit yourself ya know. Also if Comcast tries to get any money to upgrade and whatnot from Obamas broadband initiative, they have to agree not to throttle. :D

I'm really not that worried about limits. I've been doing a lot of reading over the last few days and usenet has matured quite a bit. The speed is something that I have always liked and it seems that good quality files hit usenet very quickly.
cyberrico

Return to NewsGroups