Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Astraweb Special - $96/Year - Unlimited - $8 a month

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Astraweb Special - $96/Year - Unlimited - $8 a month

Postby malcontent » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/96-yearly.html

Astraweb is running a special deal for the next two weeks. $96/Year Unlimited , that works out to be $8/month only! The offer expires July 18, 2009.

# Works out to be $8/month
# No Speed Limits
# 20 Connections
# Exactly the same as Unlimited DSL Plan
# You will pay $96 every year as long as your subscription remains active. We will not raise the price.
malcontent

Re: Astraweb Special - $96/Year - Unlimited - $8 a month

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Sounds tempting (already with them on block accounts), i would be tempted but i dont like annual billing. Long contracts, and when it comes to renew time if im broke suddenly i cant afford to keep it going and have to pay the new (higher) rates for monthly billing.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby c0ld » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Great deal.
c0ld

Postby cody » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:53 pm

This is probably a dumb question. What do they mean by "DSL Plan"? Is that DSL Speed?
cody

Postby c0ld » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:58 pm

DSL is their unlimited speed package.
The "Unlimited" plan is catered towards modem and ISDN users. It is capable of achieving speeds of up to 1 Mbit/s (18 times the speed of a 56k modem!).

The "Unlimited DSL" plan is catered towards high bandwidth users such as DSL or cable modem users. It is capable of achieving much higher speeds to maximize the bandwidth available to these users. The "Unlimited DSL" plan has no speed caps.
c0ld

Postby cody » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:02 pm

That clears that up. Thank you cOld.
cody

Postby cyberrico » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:00 pm

I guess I'm trying to understand their rates and limits as well.

These are the rates and descriptions on their site:

Unlimited -- $10/Month Unlimited Downloads included 1 Mbit/s 20 connections
Unlimited DSL -- $15/Month Unlimited Downloads Unlimited Speed 20 connections

Even the add on their site says:

Unlimited DSL - US$ 11 every month
# No Speed Limits
# No Download Limits
# Exactly the same as Unlimited DSL Plan
# You will pay $11 for every month as long as your subscription remains active. We will not raise the price.

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing them. This is a great deal in any case. I just want to be sure of what I am getting.

Thanks!
cyberrico

Postby c0ld » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:20 pm

cyberrico wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing them. This is a great deal in any case. I just want to be sure of what I am getting.

Thanks!

The $11 deal is their 'kleverig' special offer that has been ongoing for quite a while. It's the same as the $15 package. They don't shout about it on their main page, but advertise it elsewhere. Direct link; http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
c0ld

Postby WaTTiK » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 pm

cyberrico wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing them. This is a great deal in any case. I just want to be sure of what I am getting.

Thanks!

Is this because you think a cheap service will be worse than a expensive one (giganewz)? If is it so, i would recommend you to use astraweb service... been using for 5 years now i think, i'm a heavy downloader, i have never had a problem with the service, and everytime it gets cheaper and cheaper. I love astraweb.
WaTTiK

Postby cyberrico » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 pm

I signed up and it's amazing!
cyberrico

Postby sofla100 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:18 pm

They call it unlimited DSL but it's really unlimited fast connection, however you do it. By the way, some DSL now is going almost faster then cable, up to 6 or 8 down or even higher. And, that''s without the Comcast/Cable slimy download caps and traffic shaping/port blocking they are doing big time (slime dogs). At any rate, Astraweb is great, it gets the A+ recommendation. Have them on the $11 and will convert to the year special now. Maxes out the connection and completion is great. Email them a problem, like I had a question about some NNTP transfer protocal and got an answer back in minutes. How they do it so cheap is beyond me. Makes torrents, IMO, look like tiddlywinks.
sofla100

Return to NewsGroups