Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SFV/PAR2 Questions

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

SFV/PAR2 Questions

Postby SlyckTom » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 am

There seems to be a few instances where an *.sfv file is also posed along with the small *.par2 index file. I get what each one does - they both check for errors in the archive. But I'm wondering what the point is of posting both in the same archive - not that I see it often but it doesn't quite seem to make much sense. Do sfv files play much of a role anymore?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: SFV/PAR2 Questions

Postby SleepyOne » Thu May 14, 2009 9:04 am

sfv is used by "the scene" and usually follows a release from creation to end consumer.
par is more or less exclusive to usenet and is added by people other than the original content-creator.

So they kinda serve different purposes even though they do some of the same things.
Although sfv is limited to verification, par is meant for verification AND recovery.
SleepyOne

Postby Everlast » Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 am

Possibly because WinRAR doesnt utilize par2 files, just sfvs and WinRAR is the most popular unzipper.

They both do error checks, but par2 files can be used to help repair your compressed files.

So whoever uploaded the files you downloaded possibly thought "hmm, I might as well throw both sfv and par2 files in cause if they just use winrar they can atleast do a crc checksum with the sfv... But if they also use quickpar they can do the integrity check and possibly a repair if need be..

Its just redundancy error checking.
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby BiG » Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I've seen instances where a par2 set was made with a bad rar and quickpar was unable to fix it because it thinks the bad rar was a-ok. In this case you can use the sfv to ferret out the bad rar and either re-download it or have winrar try and fix it.
BiG

Postby wrench » Mon May 18, 2009 4:05 am

Everlast wrote:Possibly because WinRAR doesnt utilize par2 files, just sfvs and WinRAR is the most popular unzipper.

They both do error checks, but par2 files can be used to help repair your compressed files.

Actually - Winrar has a form of Par called "Recovery Record" which works quite well for repairing files.
You can view this yourself. Simply left double left click on any Rar file then click on the information icon on the top of the screen. If the recovery record says "absent" then you can yell at the poster for not including a recovery record, however, if there is a percentage....say 3%....
then go ahead and repair the file using winrar.
I use that fairly often and it works very well.
For the posters that want to include a recovery record...
Right click on the file that you are 'raring up...left click on "add to archive"... in the general tab check "put recovery record" figure the percentage, say, 3% and rar it all up.
Good software, Winrar
wrench

Return to NewsGroups