Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Pretimes on usenet

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Pretimes on usenet

Postby k4r70ng » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Hello!
how is the pretimes on usenet??
iam planning on either get a vpn/seedbox or usenet axx and i really wanna know how they compare with torrentsites like
sct/scc/gft?? if its less then 10min i guess its would be worth it =)
also is it easy to request old files and do they often get uploaded??
k4r70ng

Re: Pretimes on usenet

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:51 pm

so 15 minutes would be a dealbreaker?
MrFredPFL

Postby napho » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Go with a seedbox for your needs if you're a member of the top private sites. Things end up on BitTorrent sooner. And Usenet doesn't really have a community atmosphere for the most part, so requests are usually not filled.
napho

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Usually never? I've never had a request on Usenet filled...do people even look to fill them?
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby napho » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Paladwyn wrote:Usually never? I've never had a request on Usenet filled...do people even look to fill them?

Requests are filled sometimes for people who are very active in that particular group. The guy who started this thread isn't one of those and wouldn't get anything filled.

https://www.binsearch.info/?q=as+reques ... 40&server=
napho

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:41 pm

my experience with usenet is, needless to say, quite limited. however, my impression about requests is this:

in smaller, specialized groups, i have had 100% success requesting reposts. i suspect, tho, that when it comes to something like boneless, no one cares, if they ever even see your request. so it doesn't surprise me at all to hear you guys say it's not happening.
MrFredPFL

Postby jefffisher » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:25 pm

you guy's requests aren't being filled because your doing it wrong, you don't post requests to usenet itself. most if not all popular groups have a corresponding website or irc channel or something else somewhere on the web. i have had much better success requesting on usenet than absolutely anywhere else on the web.

as for usenet vs torrents for pretimes a good torrent site will be faster %6000 of the time usenet will follow anywhere from 2 minutes after to sometimes on less popular releases many hours.
however usenet is a more complete experience most torrent sites have their main scene releases missing some of the obscure releases entirely whereas usenet you will find everything from the latest 0-day apps whichever movie you're looking for or a place to request your favorite anime in french usenet has it.

after all that i suggest saving your money there is no need for a seedbox to torrent i torrent something it takes nine minutes to download a movie from home, if i have a seedbox it takes a minute and a half to download but it still takes nine minutes to get it to my home computer to watch wasting the minute and a half, on top of that if you are going to choose one or the other regardless of what i say i recommend subscribing to usenet at $15 a month vs. like what $40-$60 for a seedbox that you'll be using for something you can get for free anyhow
jefffisher

Postby csn21 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:47 am

It depends really. Theres a group running an autoposter for TV releases, often posted 2 or 3 minutes after pre. However, then you have to wait for nzb sites to update and that can take upto an hour (depending on the site you use, most update every 15 mins). If you want fast pretimes then go with torrents, but seriously why would you need to get everything so fast? Do you watch every new film straight after it pres? I doubt it. If you aint obsessed about getting everything first, usenet is great. No ratios, no download/speed limits (well, depends on the account you have), loads of retention.
csn21

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:04 pm

csn21 wrote:but seriously why would you need to get everything so fast? Do you watch every new film straight after it pres? I doubt it.

thank you, and amen. that's what i'm still wondering. hence my (unanswered) question about 15 minutes ;)
MrFredPFL

Return to NewsGroups