Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby eNiGMa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 am

Hi, I wondered if those that you use the altbinz with more than one primary server have problems when downloading binaries.

This program can only configure a server because if you configure more than one I low binaries incomplete.

I have read that this is normal and happens to many people, but I wonder how a bug of this caliber is not corrected in subsequent versions.
eNiGMa
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:04 am

I'm not familiar with this problem, but I'm wonder what version are you using?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:22 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby eNiGMa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:11 am

I use the last version (0.28.5) but the problem is present in any version.

You download the binaries have full set in the program several servers at once?
eNiGMa
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:14 am

eNiGMa wrote:Hi, I wondered if those that you use the altbinz with more than one primary server have problems when downloading binaries.


nope, I use alt.binz with 4 primary servers and I have no problems.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
User avatar
TorrentMama
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby eNiGMa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Which version you use? The servers you use are free or pay?

I use free and paid servers. My theory is that alt.binz Goes Crazy if a primary server is not connected properly or some kind of error it download binary incomplete.
eNiGMa
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:39 pm

eNiGMa wrote:Which version you use? The servers you use are free or pay?

I use free and paid servers. My theory is that alt.binz Goes Crazy if a primary server is not connected properly or some kind of error it download binary incomplete.


i use my isp's servers. and im only supposed to connect to one server for the east coast but of course i connect to east, east beta, central, central beta, west, and west beta. sometimes i connect to them all but sometimes I can't. and when I can't i still leave them and alt.binz keeps trying nonstop. it will connect to them, disconnect, fail to connect and go through just about eveything error possible. but my downloads finish perfectly.

what exactly is happening to you?
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
User avatar
TorrentMama
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:43 pm

now, wait just a moment here. am i to infer from that last post that you are a rulebreaker, TM?

the hell you say. :shock:
User avatar
MrFredPFL
 
Posts: 15645
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm

:lookup: :pirate: I know, I would never break the rules, but this is for the cause!
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
User avatar
TorrentMama
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby eNiGMa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 pm

I do not understand. My downloads are always incomplete. The alt.binz download full when I only use only one server, if I have configured more than one the binaries would appear incomplete.

What can I do?
eNiGMa
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby LANjackal » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 pm

I've hit patches of time in which a lot of what I downloaded wasn't complete either. Try forcing alt.binz to download all the PAR files* and see what happens. That's helped me on occasion.

*kinda defeats the autocompletion feature, but hey it's better than broken files
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
User avatar
LANjackal
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:58 pm
Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby eNiGMa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 pm

... but then, as myself, is not an isolated problem or a problem of mine that its has since alt.binz early versions because it download incomplete binaries.
eNiGMa
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Hecks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 am

Well, setting aside for the moment the fact that you're asking the question here rather than in the Alt.Binz forum suggests you're using a pirated version ....

If all your servers are set as Primary, then if one of those servers has low retention you'll get incompletes. So instead set up your servers in a Primary and Backup config. You can do this in different ways, depending. The usual approach is to set low retention / cheap as Primary, then high retention / premium as Backup to it. You can set as many backups to as many primaries as you want.
Hecks
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby fut » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am

TorrentMama wrote:i use my isp's servers. and im only supposed to connect to one server for the east coast but of course i connect to east, east beta, central, central beta, west, and west beta. sometimes i connect to them all but sometimes I can't. and when I can't i still leave them and alt.binz keeps trying nonstop. it will connect to them, disconnect, fail to connect and go through just about eveything error possible. but my downloads finish perfectly.


Yeah, people like you do silly things with their news servers and say "works for me". You're trying to force open multiple connections using old irrelevant names that all point to the same Highwinds newsfarm in DC. There are only two server addresses for Cox Cable customers and they allow only four connections total.
fut
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:08 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Hecks wrote:the fact that you're asking the question here rather than in the Alt.Binz forum suggests you're using a pirated version ....

The fact that you said that suggests you have no clue what your talking about.
Alt.Binz is freeware.
User avatar
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker
 
Posts: 13248
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:18 pm
Location: Serenity

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby TorrentMama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:25 pm

fut wrote:
TorrentMama wrote:i use my isp's servers. and im only supposed to connect to one server for the east coast but of course i connect to east, east beta, central, central beta, west, and west beta. sometimes i connect to them all but sometimes I can't. and when I can't i still leave them and alt.binz keeps trying nonstop. it will connect to them, disconnect, fail to connect and go through just about eveything error possible. but my downloads finish perfectly.


Yeah, people like you do silly things with their news servers and say "works for me". You're trying to force open multiple connections using old irrelevant names that all point to the same Highwinds newsfarm in DC. There are only two server addresses for Cox Cable customers and they allow only four connections total.


what the fuck is your point? and "people like me" the fuckever that means. that has nothing to do with anything.. and yea.. works for fucking me because guess what? it does! i could just chill on the 4 connections from my isp and get about 200 down .. or i can do "silly things" that get me 1.5 down. what do you think im going to do? and what's your point?
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
User avatar
TorrentMama
 
Posts: 2827
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Dark Horizon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Fartingbob wrote:
Hecks wrote:the fact that you're asking the question here rather than in the Alt.Binz forum suggests you're using a pirated version ....

The fact that you said that suggests you have no clue what your talking about.
Alt.Binz is freeware.

Only up to version 0.25. Everything higher than that requires a donation. :wink:
Dark Horizon
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 11:38 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Hecks » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Dark Horizon wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:
Hecks wrote:the fact that you're asking the question here rather than in the Alt.Binz forum suggests you're using a pirated version ....

The fact that you said that suggests you have no clue what your talking about.
Alt.Binz is freeware.

Only up to version 0.25. Everything higher than that requires a donation. :wink:


Indeed, we're at version 0.28.5 now, and it's been well over a year since 0.25.0 (the last free version) was released. The full Version History can of course be viewed on the page that Fartingbob linked. If the OP really wants more help with his problem he should come to the Alt.Binz forum, where I moderate, or #alt.binz @ EFNet. But obviously only if he's a legit contributor. ;)
Hecks
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Fallen » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Dark Horizon wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:
Hecks wrote:the fact that you're asking the question here rather than in the Alt.Binz forum suggests you're using a pirated version ....

The fact that you said that suggests you have no clue what your talking about.
Alt.Binz is freeware.

Only up to version 0.25. Everything higher than that requires a donation. :wink:


Regardless if it "requires" a donation, the software can only be released under a freeware license without having an actual retail price. You can't "pirate" free software.
Fallen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Hecks » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 am

Alt.Binz versions after 0.25.0 are not 'free software' and are not 'released under a freeware license'. I hope that clarifies.

This version of Alt.Binz is NOT free. It is for ppl who contributed to Alt.Binz project. So, if you are not amongst those ppl please consider donating. By donating you will help the development going. Also you will gain access to future versions of Alt.Binz and you will be able to make feature request that you would like to see in upcoming versions.
Hecks
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby Fallen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:31 am

Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and requests a donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) and payment is optional, it is technically a type of freeware.
Fallen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Alt.binz doesn't work properly (incomplete binaries)

Postby velocity37 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Fallen wrote:Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and requests a donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit).


Therefore Alt.binz isn't donationware after 0.25, as the donation comes before a user can get it. You've defeated your own argument.
velocity37
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:51 am


Return to NewsGroups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com