Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

I Could Be Insane Or The Most Knowledgeable Usenet User

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

I Could Be Insane Or The Most Knowledgeable Usenet User

Postby napho » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm

but I believe headers are WAY better than people give them credit for. Here's an example of a specialty movie group. On Newzbin, there are 3 or 4 movies in a.b.karagara for March. A quick peruse of that group seems to reveal more than 150 posted. https://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?b ... 1&server=2 Newzbin, and I'm sure Merlin's and Matrix miss 97% of the movies. The same kind of thing applies to sports and fetish groups. Maybe these new compressed headers that download 10-15x as fast could be useful after all. Most people have given up on headers, and they might be missing a HUGE piece of the action.

napho

Re: I Could Be Insane Or The Most Knowledgeable Usenet User

Postby venussuz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 pm

That's why Newzbin (and others, I believe) have the option to search raw usenet posts rather than just what has already been reviewed and filtered by the Newzbin people. A search of raw posts may show 10,000 hits whereas showing only indexed posts will reveal a couple hundred. Of course, many of these are multipart binaries, but for some groups, the results are not multi part, thus the usefulness of raw searches. I can't really say I miss downloading headers as I get the same result by filtering correctly on a couple of NZB sites without the hassle of downloading headers.
Toasty wrote:It must be the economy. Judges are probably BOGO in Sweden right now. :D
venussuz

Return to NewsGroups