Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Easynews and their current problems

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Easynews and their current problems

Postby rolf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

I hope the mods do not remove this post (I have read the rules and believe this complies), it is an honest account of my experience. I have written this because I am surprised to see no other posts about this.

I have been with Easynews for nearly 6 years now, attracted by their great web interface. I know how to use an NNTP client but I choose not to for convenience. Sure they have a low gig limit but this does not bother me, I have around 400 gigs of unused rollover gigs as an example.

Sadly they have gone down the tubes in recent months, I believe that they have been taken over by new management and my guess is that this is the reason why.

The main reason is due to many missing files i.e. poor completion. It is absolutely terrible!

Mods, I could understand if you normally delete posts from disgruntled people but I am talking here about droves of people fleeing Easynews. I feel obliged to make this public service announcement.

As an example, check out this screenshot I just took of the private support forum. This forum used to be a place to hang out and chat because Easynews service was so fantastic. Now it is the total opposite:

Please do not go anywhere near Easynews. These guys are treating their customers like WPOS. Please do not get burned by this company!! I will be cancelling my account when I reach the end of the next billing cycle.
rolf

Re: Easynews and their current problems

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm

nothing wrong with that post, rolf :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:46 pm

That certainly is bad news for them indeed...
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby chainmail » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:37 pm

The Easynews message board is at http://support.easynews.com/forum and -fortunately for the company- only lists recent posts. I've noticed that many Easynews customers have been complaining about their quality of service for about the last six months. This is quite sad, as Easynews has had such a good reputation in the past.

In the dozen plus years that Easynews has been around, they've never had anywhere near the scope or duration of their current problems. As one customer recently suggested, it's almost like an old car that breaks down constantly. I would guess that after being bought by Highwinds, perhaps many or most of Easynews' key technical people who previously kept the service up and running, have left, leaving Highwinds without qualified technical help. Maybe Highwinds is also being tight-fisted when it comes to spending the money needed to maintain and upgrade equipment to cope with the ever-increasing amount of newsgroup posts. Whatever the reasons, the frequent breakdowns in service appear to be just an outward symptom of an inherently structural problem lingering deep within the company.

Perhaps most annoying to users, Easynews has been neither up-front about reporting (or even admitting) its problems, nor have they been been very good at providing straight answers. Telling people, in essence, "just be patient, we're working on it" only goes so far. At times, some of their tech support staff almost appear as robots reciting from a script. I guess that's the price of success. Easynews is obviously not the small, lean, straight-talking organization it once was. As part of the Highwinds Media Group, it's now encumbered with a big, layered, corporate structure - a fact that's become, more and more, painfully obvious to customers who feel left in the dark.

It's a wonder that so many long-term Easynews customers have remained loyal in spite of such severe problems. Maybe because they hope the service will be fixed soon, perhaps because they don't want to lose several years worth of rollover gigs they've accumulated, and maybe because, frankly, there's no other company that offers quite the same level of service and features that Easynews provides.

As far as alternatives go, NNTP Junkie and Newsguy seem to be the only other usenet providers that even offer a decent web-interface, but those services have a lot fewer features than Easynews. Maybe it's about time for Easynews users to spend some time learning about newsreaders, NZB sites, and NZB players.

One remaining question is how much longer Easynews will be listed as one of Slyck's top recommended news providers. Sure, stranger honors have taken place -- like Adolf Hitler's nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize (and being named Time's "Man of the Year") in 1939. :D
chainmail

Postby blitzd » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

I concur, it's a sad state of affairs - and I think you're right it probably does have a lot to do with the new management. I've been a customer for almost 7 years, and it was only in the last year or so I even had to look in their support forum. For an indication of the scope of the problem you can check their decoder backlog here:

http://www.easynews.com/howmuch.phtml

The yEnc backlog is at least going down a bit now, but the normal decoder backlog continues to rise.

I feel for the admins, as I work in IT and have spent many sleepless nights struggling with difficult server issues. But on the other hand if any of those issues had taken me a week to figure out I can tell you right now I wouldn't be working there any longer.

...blitzd
blitzd

Postby Boromir » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm

I can write that we're well aware of the user experience due to recent failures and have a plan to improve it quickly:
http://support.easynews.com/forum/index.php?started=last&start=0&thread=140358&viewThread=140358
Boromir

Postby bellatrix1001 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:18 am

I completely agree with OP. I have been with them for over 5 years and I think it's time to switch. Completion has been absolutely terrible and a lot of features that used to work no longer seem to function. Completion problems aside, I've been having zip manager issues where files wouldnt be added, constant connection time outs, and even automatic unrar feature no longer works for a lot of uploads that are complete. And finally - their awesome customer support is a thing of the past. My last attempt to contact them has been 2 weeks ago and I am yet to hear back. Blah. Goodbye EZnews!!!!
bellatrix1001

Postby usenetrespect » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:06 pm

I recognize that the Easynews support team has been working around the clock to get things turned around, and it's good to see progress finally being made. As solutions are being implemented, they are keeping everyone in the loop. Here's the latest post made by support. http://support.easynews.com/forum/index ... ead=142493

I think the service will emerge better than ever in facing the issues at hand.
My usenet is easier and better than yours..Easynews bigGig + Newhosting block = deadliest combo
usenetrespect

Postby Kronos » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Chainmails summary. I had subscriptions with both Easynews and Astraweb. The Easynews one for the search facilities which used to be without compare and Astraweb for lots of NNTP downloading which would be uneconomical on Easynews. The Astraweb subscription (39 dollars for 3 months unlimited) continues and I am very satisfied with their service. On two occasions there have been minor problems that affected me and these were both put right within hours of being communicated to their support people.

After five and a half years with Easynews, I regretfully cancelled my subscription as I consider it a waste of money to carry on paying for a search service that has been steadily going down the pan for almost 7 months. The last straw was the
unannounced complete termination of new material being added to the search servers some 10 days ago. This only came to light when one of their support people finally admitted after 4 days that this had happened and the whole file structure needed to be rebuilt with no clear estimate of how long that would take. In the same thread on the Easynews support forum, another staff member was denying that there was any sort of problem at all!

If getting pertinent information was easier than squeezing blood out of a stone, I would probably have given them the benefit of the doubt for another 30 days. I may look in the support forum in 6 months time (I really have no confidence in a full and stable service being restored sooner than that) and if the comments are back to a bit of banter and the odd naive noob question, then I may go back. Of course, someone else might come up with a sufficiently good search service that meets my needs in the mean-time.

A real shame, it remains to be seen if they can stage a recovery...

Kronos
Kronos

Postby rolf » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Well I started this thread one month ago and since then I have, like many others, cancelled my account.

It's good that I can still view the support forum and guess when to join back up again. Looking today though, it looks like I'll be in no hurry to do so.

What a shame, I'd gladly pay good money if the service warranted it. Until then, I'll stick to rapidshare.
rolf

Postby blitzd » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 pm

rolf wrote:Well I started this thread one month ago and since then I have, like many others, cancelled my account.

It's good that I can still view the support forum and guess when to join back up again. Looking today though, it looks like I'll be in no hurry to do so.

What a shame, I'd gladly pay good money if the service warranted it. Until then, I'll stick to rapidshare.

I've canceled my account too. Astraweb and newzleech.com work well enough as a replacement. Minus the frustration of dealing with the plethora of problems from Easynews, it's actually nice.

In the last few weeks of 'using' the 'service' from Easynews, even the NNTP was going to crap - with servers randomly timing out. The web interface was unusable since they were behind with auto-unraring .5 million or so files. I noticed today that it's 1.5 million, so apparently things continue to get worse. Boromir's promises of a 'quick improvement' are, at this point, obviously a load of crap.

Haven't had any issues whatsoever since I switched - yet they continue to blame their problems on unprecented growth in usenet feeds. I can honestly say I haven't seen a single other news provider that is having these problems - they're all spooling up retention time, from what I'm seeing - while Easynews is spooling down.

I don't think anything will change at Easynews until management and staff changes are made. They just continue on with the 'we're waiting for our order of parts', or 'we're burning in' as a smokescreen. Who knows, maybe they've actually ordered the parts, or maybe they're just stringing people along for one more billing cycle before they go under... I know if I was running the number of servers they supposedly have, with the kind of hardware they supposedly have - and it took me a MONTH to get replacement parts, or even NEW equipment... i'd be pretty WTF?!? with my suppliers.

Anyways, I've worked in IT long enough that I recognize shite service when I see it, and Easynews is smelling more like the fertilizer than the roses as of late. Stay away...
blitzd

Postby SuperTech » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Hmm, my first post didn't take.

Anyways, since I have to re-type all this....I was with Easynews 11 years and after all the recent problems, I went with Astraweb/Newsbin + Usenet Search package and I have not had a problem since.
SuperTech

Postby tera7 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Astraweb/Newsbin + Usenet Search package is my choise too :headbang:
tera7

Postby pacman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I agree with you on the current status of easynews I have also cancelled my service with them after fives years of nearly great service I you don't mind me asking have you found any other newsgroup you might recommend to me to try ?
blitzd wrote:
rolf wrote:Well I started this thread one month ago and since then I have, like many others, cancelled my account.

I've canceled my account too. Astraweb and newzleech.com work well enough as a replacement. Minus the frustration of dealing with the plethora of problems from Easynews, it's actually nice.

In the last few weeks of 'using' the 'service' from Easynews, even the NNTP was going to crap - with servers randomly timing out. The web interface was unusable since they were behind with auto-unraring .5 million or so files. I noticed today that it's 1.5 million, so apparently things continue to get worse. Boromir's promises of a 'quick improvement' are, at this point, obviously a load of crap.

Haven't had any issues whatsoever since I switched - yet they continue to blame their problems on unprecented growth in usenet feeds. I can honestly say I haven't seen a single other news provider that is having these problems - they're all spooling up retention time, from what I'm seeing - while Easynews is spooling down.

I don't think anything will change at Easynews until management and staff changes are made. They just continue on with the 'we're waiting for our order of parts', or 'we're burning in' as a smokescreen. Who knows, maybe they've actually ordered the parts, or maybe they're just stringing people along for one more billing cycle before they go under... I know if I was running the number of servers they supposedly have, with the kind of hardware they supposedly have - and it took me a MONTH to get replacement parts, or even NEW equipment... i'd be pretty WTF?!? with my suppliers.

Anyways, I've worked in IT long enough that I recognize shite service when I see it, and Easynews is smelling more like the fertilizer than the roses as of late. Stay away...
pacman

Postby looktojesus2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm with easynews since well, as long as I can remember. Realizing no server setup is perfect, what do you guys think today?? Thanks for the input - I know they hit a rough spot about a year ago but I thought they bounced back pretty well.
looktojesus2

Postby bengreen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Something changed with their customer service, but I'm not sure why. Did management change? Was there employee turnover? It's odd that the company would change like that. I think they realized they were losing customers and have tried to make amends. I'm not sure if it will be enough to lure the customers who have been burned.
bengreen
Banned Spamwit

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 pm

alas, poor ben. i knew him well, horatio. :P
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 am

Lol, I saw the post earlier, but did not notice until now that ben suddenly acquired a new rank. :lol:

Cha... Cha...Ciao ben.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Return to NewsGroups