Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Giganews slashes prices 50% - still lies about retention

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Giganews slashes prices 50% - still lies about retention

Postby chainmail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:23 am

(EDIT: Giganews' 50% off sale "lasted" only a few hours before the new webpages (apparently put up by mistake) were withdrawn.)
(EDIT#2[7mar]: Giganews finally restored their redacted price reductions - but no discount anymore on their "silver" account

Giganews has slashed its prices by 50% for its unlimited accounts (and 20% for its "silver" account) for the first three months for new users who register for this "limited time offer" - setting prices (at least for now) at levels more competitive with other newsgroup providers.

While this sort of price-slashing move might be unusual for Giganews, it's hardly undue. Giganews Inc. also owns and operates the newsgroup "providers" Powerusenet.com, Usenet.net, Rhino Newsgroups, and Supernews. As part of Giganews' tiered service approach, these "virtual providers" have offered a lower-cost, lower retention version of Giganews usenet. However, on 01Feb Giganews, Inc. eliminated the retention restriction on its low-cost stable, thereby bumping their binary retention to around 200 days, which is essentially the same retention as Giganews own high-priced brand. This produced a situation in which the expensive Giganews-branded service was nearly identical to its cheaper in-house brands such as Powerusenet.

Since the lower prices only apply to new Giganews customers, it remains to be seen how many existing customers will simply quit their current plan and re-register - perhaps using a different payment method - thereby saving up to $45 for a few minutes of effort.

Even with the temporary price drop, Giganews "Diamond" plan is still 36% more expensive than Astraweb's Kleverig, which offers virtually the same level of binary retention, SSL encryption, and connections. Although Astraweb claims 200 days retention and Giganews claims 240 days, it's worth stressing that Astraweb's number is accurate, while Giganews claim of 240-day retention is an extreme exaggeration.

While usenet providers often neglect to regularly update their current retention numbers, it's additional insult that with this new price promotion, Giganews would take the time to overhaul its website - the one with "240 day retention" prominently displayed on the front page - while continuing to ignore frequent complaints to take down that untrue retention claim.
Last edited by chainmail on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chainmail

Re: Giganews slashes prices 50% - still lies about retention

Postby kalone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 am

Sorry, I cannot find this price on GN web page. Have they just not posted the reduced rates yet?
kalone

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am

Indeed...doesn't seem to show up on their site.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby shevaberg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 am

Kinda sucks that it is for 3 months only... I am really considering changing over to astraweb
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Postby bolete » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm

It would be scummy to offer that kind of discount to NEW customers but not to existing ones. Surely they would just adjust the pricing of all their existing customers if they decided to lower prices? A reputable company would.
bolete

Postby chainmail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Giganews put their old webpages back up. (I didn't think to save a screenshot - maybe someone else did) I don't know how long the new pages lasted before being taken back down.

Maybe give it a few hours and see what happens.

Kinda sucks that it is for 3 months only... I am really considering changing over to astraweb

Both Astraweb and Giganews are in the process of spooling up their currently-near-identical retention, to 270 days for Astraweb and ??? days for Giganews. Maybe after 3 months Giganews will keep growing (perhaps well beyond 300 days) so they'll need to charge more for the extra retention.

posted on giganews.general (thanks, Hecks)

Giganews wrote:Marky91 wrote:
> I just signed up this week after a longer absence from usenet.
> Giganews frontpage big graphics: 240 days binary retention
> scrolling down: Giganews has grown to OVER 240 days of binary
> retention
> Where? I can hardly download any binaries older than 199 days....
> Change the advertising or fix your retention problems!

We're not really able to say much more than what we've already said in
this group and on our website
(http://www.giganews.com/news/article/ne ... rowth.html). That is,
the feed has grown immensely in early 2009, we're in the process of
implementing storage upgrades to handle this and other feed growth, and
until hardware is brought online, the retention will continue to drop as
the feed continues to grow. We generally tend not to preannounce our
retention increases before the capacity has been brought online in case
unforeseen circumstances prevent us from reaching our stated goals.

We've just completed the first phase of our hardware upgrades.
Retention will stop dropping and start growing here shortly as we pull
the upgrades into our existing clusters. The project is massive enough
that I don't really have a projection on where the retention will end
up, but we'll release some numbers shortly that will serve as interim
markers.

I know it's unfortunate to see retention drop, but in this case, we
decided to bite the bullet and sacrifice some retention in the short
term for what will be a much better result in the long term.

As for the silence in the newsgroups, this isn't a support newsgroup so
we don't monitor it like a support e-mail address. This is something
we've constantly stated. Mostly, the employees who sometimes converse
in this group have been busy working on the projects necessary to make
the service better, myself included.

I encourage everyone to send these complaints to support@giganews.com.
Other people have. They've been responded to personally, quickly
(usually, in under 5 minutes), and in most cases, very much to the
satisfaction of customers.

Philip
Giganews

So ... no apology for deceptive advertising. I've got to wonder how many people signed up for Giganews because they needed to download a file more than 200 days old - only to discover that the claimed 240 days retention was really closer to 190? Is Giganews offering refunds to these people?
chainmail

Postby bolete » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Would have been pretty easy for them to change the graphic on their home page to show their real retention.
bolete

Postby chainmail » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:35 pm

bolete wrote:Would have been pretty easy for them to change the graphic on their home page to show their real retention.

Perhaps much less time spent than answering all those angry emails from customers who felt they'd been shortchanged.
chainmail

Postby stoops » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:01 pm

shevaberg wrote:Kinda sucks that it is for 3 months only... I am really considering changing over to astraweb

Just this weekend I put my Giganews subscription on hold (for a month) and set up Astraweb. I haven't regretted it in the slightest, will definitely be cancelling Giganews.
"Honey bring me a beer. I've got a war to win!" - Bill Hicks
stoops

Postby Paladwyn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Seems the above responses are pretty much in check with reality now.

Giganews better do something if they want to keep their customer base.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:41 pm

P2P'ers and downloaders are a fickle bunch. Speed is rarely a limiting factor with usenet providers, so that leaves retention, price and completion rates. When retention is so similar and completion is near 100% its very hard to justify giganews prices. And so in a short time a large percentage of the market can switch provider.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby shevaberg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:38 pm

stoops wrote:
shevaberg wrote:Kinda sucks that it is for 3 months only... I am really considering changing over to astraweb

Just this weekend I put my Giganews subscription on hold (for a month) and set up Astraweb. I haven't regretted it in the slightest, will definitely be cancelling Giganews.

Yeah ... After i posted i found a deal on astraweb... if you sign up now it will stay at 11.00 per month for life for unlimited DSL...

well needless to say giganews got a dear john letter shortly after that... I explained to giganews the service was good but astraweb is going to be half the cost...

I really dont care for 300 days retetion anyways... i was more concered about price at this point in time..
edit : I have have to agree with fartingbob... P2P's and DL'ers are picky. Giganews will have to do something to bring people back..
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Re: Giganews faux price-cut and retention embellishment

Postby chainmail » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Giganews has again been fiddling with its website lately. Besides last week's goofed-up 50%-off sale, yesterday the site changed again and appeared to have a more honest retention listed.

I saved a cached copy here: http://backupurl.com/cache/gtpkmt.html
(notice the "Binary Retention: 200 days" in the box in the lower right -- which by chance is actually accurate)

But no, it was apparently only an old webpage put up temporarily. Now it's back to the same old lie of 240 day retention :(
chainmail

Re: Giganews faux price-cut and retention embellishment

Postby napho » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:40 am

Lying, overpriced Usenet provider? Giganewsnext.de :wink:
napho

Postby chainmail » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:51 pm

The sale is back on. I updated my original topic post.

Giganews retention - always claimed at 240 days - had recently dropped to 190 days, but is now back over 200 and growing. They are currently neck-and-neck with Astraweb in retention (though NOT in price) so it will be interesting to see who wins this retention race.

And again, Giganews is still lying about their retention.

Does anyone want to bet me that when Giganews retention grows to more than 240 days, they will finally (for the first time in many months) start reporting accurate numbers?
chainmail

Postby NewsgroupReviews » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 am

It appears Giganews has taken steps to continue to outpace the competition on retention. Here is an article covering Giganews retention plans and a couple other tidbits.

Not to say they are better than Astraweb or others as I understand there is also a value proposition and the recent retention issues. Time will tell which services stand out.
NewsgroupReviews

Return to NewsGroups