Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

UK ISP Pipex, port blocking

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

UK ISP Pipex, port blocking

Postby england » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi,

I use Pipex to access the Internet and have noticed that during the peak hours my connection to giganews was practically being completely blocked, I accessed it using SSL through port 563. By peak hours I am referring to evenings 5/6pm - 11/12pm is when it seemed to happen.

But as soon as I changed to the alternative SSL port 443, it works fine, no problems with not being able to connect or anything.

Just wondering if there are any other Pipex users on these forums that have or are experiencing these same problems?
england

Re: UK ISP Pipex, port blocking

Postby gorlov » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am

I'm not a Pipex user myself, but that seems to correspond with the experience a number of Pipex users has reported to us.
Pipex seems to block the standard nntp and nntps ports during peak hours, but using nntps on a non-standard port appears to bypass the block, in most cases.
The same is true for some other ISP:s, for example Tiscali.

--Goran
gorlov

Postby Mr Edd » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:02 pm

When I was with Pipex they used to throttle to death access to NNTP servers at all times. We used to get around it by bypassing DNS, until they got wise to it. Using a non-standard port helped for a time, but not for long. They'll get wise to NNTPS eventually.

Guess who owns Pipex? Yep, Tiscali.
Mr Edd

Postby england » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:11 pm

gorlov wrote:I'm not a Pipex user myself, but that seems to correspond with the experience a number of Pipex users has reported to us.
Pipex seems to block the standard nntp and nntps ports during peak hours, but using nntps on a non-standard port appears to bypass the block, in most cases.
The same is true for some other ISP:s, for example Tiscali.

--Goran

Cheers for confirming that Goran, that is very cheeky of them............its not like they're the cheapest ISP, i need to have a word i think :pissedoff:
england

Postby stoops » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Been with Pipex for donkeys without any problems at all. I've just switched from Giganews to Astraweb and have always been using 443 so haven't noticed any problems.
"Honey bring me a beer. I've got a war to win!" - Bill Hicks
stoops

Postby MyBigToe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Tiscali own pipex now?
im glad im with Be now
i loved pipex until they throttled me to 50k/s at any time i needed to use it
MyBigToe

Return to NewsGroups