Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

XS News announces (planned) 400-day retention

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

XS News announces (planned) 400-day retention

Postby chainmail » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 am

There's been a lot of one-upmanship in the usenet pay-provider business lately. Newshosting (Highwinds-Media) announces a planned retention increase to 250 days, and Astraweb quickly raises the ante with a declaration of 270 day retention to come. Then Amsterdam-based provider XS News drops a bomb: 400-day retention.

In a few days, XS News will be moving its server farm to a new datacenter, where plans are in place to immediately start spooling-up capacity toward a mind-blowing 400-day article retention. Granted, this will take close to a year to complete, due to their current retention of just 85 days -- about half the retention of many of its competitors. The actual article retention will, of course, depend on the amount of material posted to usenet over the next few months.

source (in Dutch): http://forum.xsnews.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2159
chainmail

Re: XS News announces (planned) 400-day retention

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:48 am

I doubt they'll actually get to 400 for at least a year and a half.
How are they going to afford this? They charge 11 euros a month which quite low and as far as i know arent a reseller or part of a larger company, so will be paying for this upgrade themselves. I just cant see how a service which doesnt even try to attract english speaking customers can afford to go from 85 days to 400 on 11 euro's a month for their unlimited package.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby gxs » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:50 am

chainmail wrote:The actual article retention will, of course, depend on the amount of material posted to usenet over the next few months.

lol, do you offer an opt-out/refund clause should you fall WAY short of the quoted 400 days? Preferably in English please :)
gxs

Postby kalone » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:36 am

Hope all this promised increased retention does not drive alot of them over their money resources. Can see them all going to Washington in a 1967 VW bus to ask for bailout money.
kalone

Postby malcontent » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:59 am

kalone wrote:Hope all this promised increased retention does not drive alot of them over their money resources. Can see them all going to Washington in a 1967 VW bus to ask for bailout money.

Sure would be a long drive.
:)
malcontent

Postby napho » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:41 am

This is so great!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: There's a movie that just got posted, and a new CD that I want to hear. Now I can wait until February 2010 to download them. Thank you XS News. Don't lower prices, just sell long retention to the customers, like that's the be all and end all. :roll:
napho

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:08 am

napho wrote:This is so great!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: There's a movie that just got posted, and a new CD that I want to hear. Now I can wait until February 2010 to download them. Thank you XS News. Don't lower prices, just sell long retention to the customers, like that's the be all and end all. :roll:

It also means you can download a rare tv show in feb 2010 that would otherwise take weeks to get on a public torrent with only a couple of peers.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby towerblocks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:17 am

Anyone tried these before and are they any good?
towerblocks

Postby napho » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:41 am

Fartingbob wrote:It also means you can download a rare tv show in feb 2010 that would otherwise take weeks to get on a public torrent with only a couple of peers.

I realize that occasionally something slips through the cracks or someone you know wants something unexpectedly. But retention is taking centre stage as the most important way these guys compete. Considering how many people pass on Usenet because of the cost, maybe taking the money they spend on capacity and lowering prices would be better. Also, long retention makes people lazy and they ignore the learning curve that'd allow them to get things sooner and find many things they don't know are on Usenet, and that they miss now and 400 days from now.
napho

Postby NewsgroupReviews » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. Going from 85 to 400 days will be an enormous investment.
NewsgroupReviews

Return to NewsGroups