Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Can throttling be done on a port?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Can throttling be done on a port?

Postby eli2k » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 am

I am at a .edu campus, on their residential network. I'm not sure how the police their network. I access the usenet server I use on a specific port they provide, usually I get 1 MB/s speeds. Recently, this dropped significantly, to around 100-300 KB/s, sometimes even lower. I switched to another port the usenet provider offers, and the speed is fine again.

I wanted to ask, is it possible to throttle not based on traffic but on the port itself? Say I have port X, can they implement something so the speed on port X is reduced? If they do, eventually I will run out of ports to use, :P

Thanks,
- eli2k
eli2k

Re: Can throttling be done on a port?

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:20 am

Well that would be one way to throttle, but such a basic one that no network admin worth their salt would depend on it.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am

Indeed, you CAN throttle the port...but it's so easy to switch ports that it seems odd. Unless they are just trying to diagnose the problem. A QOS protocol in place could tell when a certain port is being overused and try to regulate it, may not even be a user intervening.

This tactic would work well for the people that have to ask "What's a port?"
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 am

The throttle is actually based on connections. When you switch ports, its seen as a new connection, and so the counter-till-throttle is also new.

Keep it up, they'll eventually ban you from the college net or just limit all traffic from your room.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:53 am

IneptVagrant wrote:Keep it up, they'll eventually ban you from the college net or just limit all traffic from your room.

eli2k wrote: If they do, eventually I will run out of ports to use, :P

I don't know, there's 65535 ports (65536 if you count port 0).
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby stoops » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 am

HEAT84 wrote:
IneptVagrant wrote:Keep it up, they'll eventually ban you from the college net or just limit all traffic from your room.

I don't think usenet providers allow you to use any port. Giganews allows access on ports 23, 80 or 119 (also ports 443 & 563 for ssl connections). You could easily run out of ports.
"Honey bring me a beer. I've got a war to win!" - Bill Hicks
stoops

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 am

All connections have two IPs and 2 Ports associated with them. The home IP/port, and the destination IP/port. We are talking about the home Port, not the destination. Which is usually randomized with in a range > 2000

If you're not following, open a cmd window and type "netstat". You'll see all your current TCP connections. Two collums being Local Address:Port and Foreign Address:Port
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:07 pm

stoops wrote:
HEAT84 wrote:

I don't think usenet providers allow you to use any port. Giganews allows access on ports 23, 80 or 119 (also ports 443 & 563 for ssl connections). You could easily run out of ports.

Oh, was thinking of Bit Torrent for some reason. That's what happens at 5:53 AM and you haven't been to sleep yet.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby chainmail » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Port-throttling only works when a high-bandwidth application requires a specific port (or ports) Most modern P2P applications will allow any port to be set, and many newsgroup providers allow connections to common traffic ports such as 80 and 443 - ports unlikely to be throtled system-wide.

However, network admins have available tools at their disposal that can throttle by port, protocol, connection, and IP address. While using non-standard ports, packet encryption/protocol obfucation, and multiple connections can thwart the first three throttling weapons, an user-IP throttle will be impossible to evade (not counting borrowing someone else's connection). Since usenet downloading comes from a single server location, the server's IP address can be blocked or throttled also.

A nosey network admin can see (and to a large degree control) a lot of what we do online, so it's best to try to keep a low profile and not push the limits.
chainmail

Return to NewsGroups