Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How often do you use 200+ days retention?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How often do you download something older than 200 days on Usenet?

Regularly
25%
Often
No votes
Sometimes
13%
Rarely
63%
Never
No votes

Total votes : 16

How often do you use 200+ days retention?

Postby bolete » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm

With the apparent war over retention heating up, I thought it would be cool to see how much we really NEED the extra retention. Especially since we have to know that none of these providers are now going to be lowering prices anytime soon after laying out all this cash for extra storage.

So, take the poll. Lets see if that Giganews (or whoever) account with an extra 40 days of retention is worth the extra money you are going to pay for it.
bolete

Re: How often do you use 200+ days retention?

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Well i currently use astraweb which is in the process of going from 160 to 270 days (although its still at under 200 days for the files ive tried), however, i would expect id use 200+ days occasionally, particularly useful for software since it tends not to get upped as often as films/TV/music.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby bolete » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah, I guess you almost have to be a Giganews user to answer this one huh? Kinda silly on my part to not think ahead like that.

Well, lets treat it like its how often WOULD you use 200+ days....

:oops:
bolete

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:36 am

Regularly.

I think the more retention you have, the more you're likely to use.

I don't have time to search/browse all of the latest posts every day, so I tend to just search for stuff as and when I need/want it. A lot of the time the things I'm looking for are just about to fall off the edge of the server's retention. Sometimes I can't find what I want, which may mean that it has never been posted, but may also mean that I missed it. If I could get even more retention, I probably would. Too much is never enough.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby zbeast » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 am

I'm usually looking for something current.
If it's old... it's back to torrents, if it's real old then it's off to emule.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Snige » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 am

It will definitely be useful. A friend and have often come across a few programs that have been over 160 days ( astraweb user ), so cant wait for their severs to get 200+

200+ is a little ott for films etc as they are mostly gotten as they get released, but there's always something you see that needs as long as a retention as you can get.
Snige

Return to NewsGroups