Page 1 of 2

Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:56 pm
by fernandose
Title says it all really. Always wanted to run an nzb site, because think there isn't a mininova for nzbs. So spent the last couple of months getting the resources I need to give it a shot. Why not? So if your interested in helping me out, let me know, welcome all types of input and skills.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:18 pm
by Fartingbob
Not that i am interested (well, i have no experience and building or maintaining a website, so wouldnt be much use) but what experience do you have, what skills do you lack that would be useful, would you be paying for it yourself or are you asking for someone to invest money as well as time?

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:31 pm
by ntscuser
I'd like to know in what way will this NZB site be different from all the others out there?

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 pm
by fernandose
Fartingbob wrote:Not that i am interested (well, i have no experience and building or maintaining a website, so wouldnt be much use) but what experience do you have, what skills do you lack that would be useful, would you be paying for it yourself or are you asking for someone to invest money as well as time?


I have quite a lot of experience running and maintaining websites, I used to run filesplit.org which was the homepage and community for rarslave (popular unrar/unparing tool). I also run quite a few other sites, mostly as a hobbie and with other friends. My friend owns and admins our dedicated server which is powerful enough to run anything in its early stages.
To be honest I'm willing to accept anything, any type of skill would be welcome paid or free, whether its programming, designing, data entry. I can do all of those at basic level, which is why I could start the site to get it going, but would be nice to get some extra hands on the job

ntscuser wrote:I'd like to know in what way will this NZB site be different from all the others out there?


User interface and usability. Mimicking mininova.org, in the way it is very easy to browse and download torrents, I would like to do that the same for NZBs. No registration required. It will be community run and try and move NZB/usenet from this premium-paid access view.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:44 pm
by ntscuser
fernandose wrote:
ntscuser wrote:I'd like to know in what way will this NZB site be different from all the others out there?

User interface and usability. Mimicking mininova.org, in the way it is very easy to browse and download torrents, I would like to do that the same for NZBs. No registration required. It will be community run and try and move NZB/usenet from this premium-paid access view.
Sounds exactly like Newzleech.com to me?

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:00 pm
by fernandose
ntscuser wrote:
fernandose wrote:
ntscuser wrote:I'd like to know in what way will this NZB site be different from all the others out there?

User interface and usability. Mimicking mininova.org, in the way it is very easy to browse and download torrents, I would like to do that the same for NZBs. No registration required. It will be community run and try and move NZB/usenet from this premium-paid access view.
Sounds exactly like Newzleech.com to me?


newsleech is browsing and search raw usenet. So you see a lot of rubbish/clutter among proper collections/sets of files. Like Newzbin, they offer (paid) complete indexed and cleaned up nzbs, which is what I plan to do

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:07 pm
by MrFredPFL
glad to hear you plan to make it an open site :toast:

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:22 pm
by Paladwyn
Indeed...to make it closed just starts asking for trouble.

I also admit to knowing not much about the skills and stuff you may need, programming is pretty far outta my league :D Though I did make one of the best school project programs from Qbasic back in my day...I know they were using my project as an example for years after. That was kinda nice to know.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm
by MrFredPFL
qbasic - didn't you need that for edit.exe to work?

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:24 pm
by Paladwyn
I believe so...it's been a while...but yeah...I believe they were hand in hand.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:36 pm
by shevaberg
Sniff ...DOS..... the good old days of DOS..... Did anyone else use to edit their command.com to display weird things???

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 am
by napho
Maybe you should try hooking up with the guy from binage.com. That site's been gone for a year, but he has all the tools.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:18 pm
by fernandose
napho wrote:Maybe you should try hooking up with the guy from binage.com. That site's been gone for a year, but he has all the tools.


Yeah, looks like hes vanished though. Ive don't mostly everything now, just need people to help me fill up the site with nzbs to get it going.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:20 pm
by csn21
Sounds like it's going to be another nzbmatrix.com ? ;)

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 am
by rsrikanth05
fernandose wrote:Title says it all really. Always wanted to run an nzb site, because think there isn't a mininova for nzbs. So spent the last couple of months getting the resources I need to give it a shot. Why not? So if your interested in helping me out, let me know, welcome all types of input and skills.

I'm interested.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:36 pm
by fernandose
rsrikanth05 wrote:
fernandose wrote:Title says it all really. Always wanted to run an nzb site, because think there isn't a mininova for nzbs. So spent the last couple of months getting the resources I need to give it a shot. Why not? So if your interested in helping me out, let me know, welcome all types of input and skills.

I'm interested.


Thanks, pm sent

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am
by Paladwyn
rsrikanth05 wrote:
fernandose wrote:Title says it all really. Always wanted to run an nzb site, because think there isn't a mininova for nzbs. So spent the last couple of months getting the resources I need to give it a shot. Why not? So if your interested in helping me out, let me know, welcome all types of input and skills.

I'm interested.


Why would a guy who basically said that he wouldn't ever use newsgroups...be interested in helping out a site that it's sole purpose is for newsgroups? :)

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:09 am
by ntscuser
Paladwyn wrote:Why would a guy who basically said that he wouldn't ever use newsgroups...be interested in helping out a site that it's sole purpose is for newsgroups? :)
Also, why would someone offer their services to an all-new startup when there are existing, established NZB sites which could probably make better use of the exact same help?

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 am
by jb
Google "fuckwit" for the answer.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am
by rsrikanth05
Paladwyn wrote:Why would a guy who basically said that he wouldn't ever use newsgroups...be interested in helping out a site that it's sole purpose is for newsgroups? :)

I said I won't use Newsgroups, I never said I won't give out NZBs.
Besides, it's an indexing site....
jb wrote:Google "fuckwit" for the answer.

Look who's talking fuckwit....

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:51 am
by Fartingbob
Play nice, guys.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:00 pm
by rsrikanth05
Fartingbob wrote:Play nice, guys.

I am, jb isn't.

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:06 pm
by napho
rsrikanth05 wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:Play nice, guys.

I am, jb isn't.



rsrikanth05 wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:Play nice, guys.

I am, jb isn't.


I think jb is really Salman Khan, and he's not too thrilled with your avatar. :wink:

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:10 pm
by Paladwyn
Fair enough...but NZB's are used for indexing articles in the newsgroups, so it just seems odd that if newsgroups dont' interest you, then why involve yourself with indexing them?

Not saying you can't...go nuts, and I hope you do well..and it takes off, but still seems odd :D

Re: Anyone want to start a nzb site with me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 pm
by rsrikanth05
Paladwyn wrote:Fair enough...but NZB's are used for indexing articles in the newsgroups, so it just seems odd that if newsgroups dont' interest you, then why involve yourself with indexing them?

Not saying you can't...go nuts, and I hope you do well..and it takes off, but still seems odd :D

It may seem odd, but there are things that are odder.....

I'm jut interested in indexing them, just like I created a directory for music training sites, when I myself had NO interest in them.