Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Starting a Server...

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Starting a Server...

Postby rsrikanth05 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 am

How easy is it to start a Usenet server and what all would you need?
I happen to have a friend who is setting a up a Gaming server near his workplace [can you believe he bought a 1750 sq. ft. apartment for that? and land rates are Rs. 2150 per sq. ft...]
So, he is busy setting up a Gaming Server, and was considering a Usenet server as well.
Hey, who knows.....I might finally get to use Usenet this way?
:D :mrgreen: :lol: :D :) :o 8) :howdy: :headbang: :popcorn: :toast:
.........
User avatar
rsrikanth05
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:11 am
Location: Up in the clouds

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby unregistered » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:17 pm

rsrikanth05 wrote:How easy is it to start a Usenet server and what all would you need?


It's quite easy, actually. Besides in-depth knowledge of Diablo you only need about 3-4 TB hdd space a day (spread across enough spindles) and a zippy connection to the net. 2 Gbit/s should do, but a bit more is desirable.

Seriously, if this isn't a joke then the answer is "don't even think about it".
unregistered
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 am

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby zbeast » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 pm

yep, just get a good usenet provider and download just the files you want.
there is no upside to having your own usenet server.
Over 50% of the traffic on usenet is spam.
it will also suck up all your bandwidth that you should be using for game traffic.

http://www.nntpserver.com/gl/

Read here if you really must still have a usenet server they have plans and rate information.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Behind that itch. yes, that one right there.

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 am

If by 'server' you simply mean a PC configured for use as a remotely accessible dedicated usenet download server (though strictly speaking it would be a usenet client configured for remote access), then all you need is a PC, a usenet account and SABnzbd ..... plus maybe a VPN or FTP connection to access the downloads remotely too.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby rsrikanth05 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

HouseCrowd wrote:If by 'server' you simply mean a PC configured for use as a remotely accessible dedicated usenet download server (though strictly speaking it would be a usenet client configured for remote access), then all you need is a PC, a usenet account and SABnzbd ..... plus maybe a VPN or FTP connection to access the downloads remotely too.

It isn't exactly a PC, he plans to get a Server Rack, with about 80-90 Seagate Cheetah X15 15k.7 drives.
Plus he plans to use Transcend SATA SSDs.

He plans to set up two different connections, one for Usenet and one for his Ventrilo server.

And last but not least, I've told you, I don't want to end up paying 4 times the cost of my house rent for Usenet...
.........
User avatar
rsrikanth05
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:11 am
Location: Up in the clouds

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 am

How on earth is he going to make money on that?? Thats a very expensive server for a one man operation.
Still, i would seriously suggest he stays the hell away from starting a usenet server unless he has alot of experience in running one and huge sums of money to piss down the drain.
User avatar
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker
 
Posts: 13248
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:18 pm
Location: Serenity

Re: Starting a Server...

Postby rsrikanth05 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:20 am

Fartingbob wrote:How on earth is he going to make money on that?? Thats a very expensive server for a one man operation.
Still, i would seriously suggest he stays the hell away from starting a usenet server unless he has alot of experience in running one and huge sums of money to piss down the drain.

Hey there are very few Usenet services in India, so he can make money with that...
Besides, he's got a lot of guys to do it for him.....
Plus he has the money required...
.........
User avatar
rsrikanth05
 
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:11 am
Location: Up in the clouds


Return to NewsGroups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
© 2001-2008 Slyck.com