Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Older nzb files download slower?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Older nzb files download slower?

Postby rocky510 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 pm

hi

im a giganews user and i was downloading a nzb and normally they will max out my connection

but today i got a file and it was about 234 days old or so and my connection is jumpy like at 500kb/s to 200kb/s nothing wrong with the speed just wanted to know if u download older files will the speed be a bit slower?
rocky510

Re: Older nzb files download slower?

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:04 am

Yes, it's normal to see the speed fluctuate when there are lots of missing parts due to the age of the post. 234 days is pushing it a bit, even for Giganews. I find that posts of around 210 days or less have good retention and speed. Above that, you can expect things to get a little patchy at present retention levels.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby ih8easynewsdotcom » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 pm

That makes no sense at all :-S , no older posts will not be slower , regardless of missing parts , actually it would be "faster" because there is less to deal with , less overhead etc etc. one of the largest performance impacts (there are 2 ) is 1> routing /peering . and 2nd > SSL or not , SSL will be slower due to the nature of the protocol , it establishes a key at the beginning and end of each part . This typically can slow down - 3 - 30 percent of the max. ( I would know ...... I have supported 3 out of the big 8 usenet companies for about 6 years professionally) .
ih8easynewsdotcom

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Well Rocky...

I noticed a decrease with Giganews...but apparantly it wasn't Giganews, it was my ISP doing some 'upgrades' in the area starting on the 14th of December in the Humboldt area of Saskatchewan...apparantly it decreased the speed to about 1700kbps from 5000kbps. So, perhaps check your speed from your ISP...maybe something similar is taking place..or if you are from the same area...then there ya go :D
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby rsrikanth05 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:33 am

Paladwyn wrote:Well Rocky...

I noticed a decrease with Giganews...but apparantly it wasn't Giganews, it was my ISP doing some 'upgrades' in the area starting on the 14th of December in the Humboldt area of Saskatchewan...apparantly it decreased the speed to about 1700kbps from 5000kbps. So, perhaps check your speed from your ISP...maybe something similar is taking place..or if you are from the same area...then there ya go :D

Actually he could be right..
just like older files on BT/ed2k/Gnutella have fewer souce oder nzb's can download slower?
rsrikanth05

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 am

Well, NG's aren't susceptible to the same problems as P2P...there isn't a number of "seeders" there is only 1. Giganews hosts the files on their server racks and is as easilly accessible as any other file. You request the download, it just locates it and tosses it down the line. It doesn't matter if there is 1 or 1000 people downloading, new or 200 days old...it would download at the same speed.

P2P requires sources to host the files, the more people hosting...the faster you can download it - in theory.
Paladwyn

Postby rsrikanth05 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:01 am

Paladwyn wrote:Well, NG's aren't susceptible to the same problems as P2P...there isn't a number of "seeders" there is only 1. Giganews hosts the files on their server racks and is as easilly accessible as any other file. You request the download, it just locates it and tosses it down the line. It doesn't matter if there is 1 or 1000 people downloading, new or 200 days old...it would download at the same speed.

P2P requires sources to host the files, the more people hosting...the faster you can download it - in theory.

Okay...thanks...
rsrikanth05

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:04 am

No problem, I understand you are new to that whole aspect and was just pointing out what I know :)
Paladwyn

Postby ntscuser » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:08 am

Newsgroups suffer the other problem: "Sudden Death" syndrome. Once an article has expired, that's it, it's gone forever. Depending on your newsserver that can be anything from three seconds for a 'free' server to 240 days for GigaNews. In that respect newsgroups are not good places to look for older or rare material.
ntscuser

Postby rsrikanth05 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:13 am

ntscuser wrote:Newsgroups suffer the other problem: "Sudden Death" syndrome. Once an article has expired, that's it, it's gone forever. Depending on your newsserver that can be anything from three seconds for a 'free' server to 240 days for GigaNews. In that respect newsgroups are not good places to look for older or rare material.

Nad if the Server doesn't use RAID, or have backups...whoosh...a server crash would be deadly...right?
Paladwyn wrote:No problem, I understand you are new to that whole aspect and was just pointing out what I know :)

new, and old...
I go bye-byye to Usenet....
rsrikanth05

Postby Paladwyn » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Thankfully, your premium servers are backed up to the nuts...Giganews would be running a VERY sophisticated backup system...so thankfully, a server or drive crash would probably remain unnoticed by most - if not all of their subscribers.

And yes, there is the 'sudden death' syndrome... but if a post goes away due to length past the retention...then just ask somebody to upload it again. There are many requests posted all the time...I've personally never had a request answered...but I've only put out 3 :D
Paladwyn

Return to NewsGroups