Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Need a usenet provider with specific criteria

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Need a usenet provider with specific criteria

Postby paperkut » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi guys,

I've been an avid user of giganews for the past year, but recently I've started downloading more high-def files (720p, 1080p) and I've realized that my current bandwidth just isn't enough.

I've decided to fix this bandwidth issue by investing in a multi wan solution (aggregate bandwidth).

The issue is, most usenet providers don't allow connections from more than one IP simultaneously so my plan would fall apart. However, I was hoping anyone knew any providers that DO allow simultaneous connections. For obvious reasons, any unlimited plans would be out of the question but I'm willing to settle for a block plan (minimum 50GB/month) - the provider shouldn't care if I'm using more than one connection, right?

After looking at several sites, I can't seem to find any that allow sharing under block plans either :/

Is this something I can work out at a more personal level with a provider? I'm not technically sharing an account, I'll just have more than one IP.

I'm not too knowledgeable with all the other providers, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
paperkut

Re: Need a usenet provider with specific criteria

Postby napho » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:23 pm

I have no idea if you can get what you want with readnews, but I've been on their site before and recalled that they seem to be flexible.

http://www.readnews.com/usenet.php?view=wholesale
napho

Postby paperkut » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, but wholesale..? Hmm

I just got a reply from Astraweb, apparently you can have however many logins as you want on the block plans. Do all the providers with block plans have this same policy? Because it's always unilaterally prohibited in the TOS.

Astraweb seems perfect (anyone got any idea about speed? I'm looking at a pipe of 4-5MB/s), but if possible I'd like a provider with higher retention (giganews has spoiled me). Any ideas?
paperkut

Postby Paladwyn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Wow, you ain't gonna get spoiled again like Giganews, Astraweb probably would be your best bet. Their retention is increasing from when I check up on them, and seem to be reliable...I guess you get to lose either speed or retention, pick one :)
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby B-Fir3 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:28 pm

I can pull 4-5MB/s from Astraweb easily without Dual WAN so you shouldn't have any problems. Astraweb is awesome.
B-Fir3

Return to NewsGroups