Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

LocalNet, Dialup ISP with exceptional Usenet service

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

LocalNet, Dialup ISP with exceptional Usenet service

Postby chainmail » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 pm

These days, most ISPs in the USA are shafting people wanting decent usenet service. Here's a low-cost ISP that includes FULL Usenet access: 200 day-retention & no monthly cap.
* 1800+ days of text retention
* 200 days of binary (data) retention
* Speeds up to 160 Kbps per connection
* 107,000 Uncensored Newsgroups
* 4 Concurrent Connections
* Unlimited Transfer Volume

http://www.localnet.com/usenet.php

ISP + Usenet = $9.95/month

Seem too good to be true?

Well, there's just one little catch. It's a dialup ISP.

However, if I read this correctly, the maximum speed is 640kbits/second, (which would take a dozen dialup users put together to achieve) which suggests that usenet access might be available from non-ISP locations.

There's no indication on their website whether or not the news server requires the user to be accessing it from Localnet's own ISP's domain. This is not a given fact that they even have their own domain, since many small, independent low-cost ISPs that operate nationwide service are basically dialup resellers that sublease spare connections from many ISP/backbone domains all over the country. (even the same access number may use several domains)

By buying up other ISPs excess capacity, this saves them money, but comes with its own set of problems: many subscription Newsgroup providers will automatically think you are sharing your account with several people, and shut off your account when you exceed 3 domains (or whatever their limit is) in a short time. But if this ISP is domain-hopping, which I suspect it may be (based on my own past experience), there's probably no easy way the news server can restrict access by IP address, and if that's the case, then you should be able to download binaries from a faster connection at the full 640k limit.

The server details suggest Giganews service (back when it was still 200 day retention) but a tracert indicates Supernews, which is now owned by Giganews, but offers 150d single part/100d multipart retention. So I don't know exactly what to make of this apparent contradiction without actually testing it out (and no American-based or Dutch NNTP server currently offers 200 day binary retention that I am aware of).

At a cost of just 10 bucks a month, that's at the low end of dialup providers cost-wise, and it seems most dialup ISPs these days don't offer newsgroups anymore -- even text newsgroups. For usenet binary downloaders whose only available option in internet service is through dialup ISPs, LocalNet might be worth considering.

http://www.localnet.com
chainmail

Return to NewsGroups