Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

looking for light weight usenet program

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

looking for light weight usenet program

Postby dolin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:12 pm

hello

I am looking for a binary usenet client, with these features:

1. show the files of an nzb in single line (or tree view)
2. monitor and auto-import nzb files in a specific folder

I know already newsleecher and alt.binz. but they are very sys resource consuming

thanks
dolin

Re: looking for light weight usenet program

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 am

SABnzbd+

I'm not sure what you mean by #1, but SABnzbd certainly fulfils #2 and is very lightweight.

I run it on my server. I can start a download by dropping an NZB into a designated folder. I can also start, stop and monitor downloads by logging into the web interface from any PC on my network or remotely via any PC with internet connectivity.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby inVINCEable » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 pm

I also use SABnzbd and it is by far the most light weight, if you are using FF to run it that is :)
http://nzbnation.com - FREE nzb index
inVINCEable

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 am

Doesn't seem all that extraordinarily lightweight to me...about on par with Grabit and AltBinz memory wise...

But a very cool program, great FF integration. No auto RAR or Par though...might be worthy of an article though!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby inVINCEable » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:14 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Doesn't seem all that extraordinarily lightweight to me...about on par with Grabit and AltBinz memory wise...

But a very cool program, great FF integration. No auto RAR or Par though...might be worthy of an article though!

Tom,

The newest version has these things! http://www.sabnzbd.org/features/.
http://nzbnation.com - FREE nzb index
inVINCEable

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:10 am

SlyckTom wrote:Doesn't seem all that extraordinarily lightweight to me...about on par with Grabit and AltBinz memory wise...

To be honest, I've never compared its memory usage with similar apps, and I'm surprised it uses as much as it does. It's a while since I used any other reader, so I can't be certain how exactly it compares in other ways, but I would guess it's the CPU usage more than memory usage that makes it seem so lightweight. Certainly when it's running on my server (which it does 24/7) there is no discernible difference in the performance of the computer. Readers I have used previously would sometimes make the computer run noticeable slower when they were running in the background.

The auto-rar and auto-par features have been part of SABnzbd for a long time. In fact, it's been a feature ever since I started using it. How old was version you first tried!? :o

As far as I can tell, the original developer(s) abandoned SABnzbd some time ago, and as the SourceForge page shows, there hasn't been a new version for a few years now. I think SABnzbd+ (emphasis on the '+') is a new project with different developers, building on the old SABnzbd, to produce a new application with more features and functionality.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby lordy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:18 pm

nzbget is pretty light weight. It's used a lot on NAS devices. However I'm not sure how it runs on windows.
Par processing is native but unrar is handed off to a script. Again , not sure about windows..
lordy

Re: light weight usenet program

Postby chainmail » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 am

Sabnzbd is written in Python, which tends to be CPU-intensive.

Anyone familiar with the old Bittorrent clients might remember that Bittorrent Official (and its many derivatives) tended to put a heavy load on the processor, while Java clients like Azureus were lighter on CPU cycles but were instead memory-hogs. (Then Utorrent came along ... )

Slyck's recent usenet binary grabber comparison noted memory load, but not processor load.

Memory usage is not necessarily indicative of resource wastefulness, but may be purposely designed to cache downloaded data in memory in order to reduce frequent disk writes. I think that NewsBin, which was designed as a HDD-friendly software, allows user-selected ram caching level somewhat similar to utorrent.

I used to use Grabit with a dialup connection and an old noisy hard drive, and I would hear that HDD strumming continuously all night long using Grabit - even though at dialup-level download speed the software could have been designed to write to disk only once every several hours. I should not single out Grabit for blame, since virtually all web applications have traditionally worked similarly, whether browsers, FTP clients, download managers, or P2P clients: writing to disk constantly, unless they were designed for disk-caching.

Usenet Explorer has been known as a well-coded application, coded by a programmer who tends to be a bit of a perfectionist. It's been particularly good at downloading headers of big groups without overtaxing the memory capacity, something Grabit never did well. Usenet Explorer claims to be resource-efficient, but I have not tested this in any way.

Unfortunately I don't think that usenet clients have anything equivalent to a utorrent or a Lugdunum (edonkey) server, two softwares that blew away their competition with vastly superior resource efficiency.
chainmail

Return to NewsGroups