Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BinTube Media Player & Usenet Newsreader

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BinTube Media Player & Usenet Newsreader

Postby gilles » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:11 am

Try this ! You can preview everything you are currently downloading from newsgroups, including mp3, movie files, even a DVD !

http://www.bintube.com/player/features.aspx
gilles

Re: BinTube Media Player & Usenet Newsreader

Postby BinTube » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:01 pm

BinTube

Postby LANjackal » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:35 pm

IIRC, doesn't BinTube fail when it comes to RARed posts?

That and it's not free. Nothing wrong with that, but with the last free version of Alt.Binz working like a charm and Klibido running on my Linux laptop that I resurrected (yet again) with Ubuntu 7.10, I'm not inclined to shell out for anything anytime soon.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby BinTube » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:55 pm

It handles RARs just fine. It even handles RAR files that have incorrect file extensions as it is common on some newsgroups.
I am not familiar with the free software you mentioned, but a side by side comparison might be in order. :popcorn:
BinTube

Postby gilles » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 pm

BinTube, this was submitted to me in another forum (unfortunately, I can't use it due to my screen display settings), but it looks very similar to your software. And it's free.

http://www.nzbplayer.com/
gilles

Postby gilles » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 pm

LANjackal wrote:IIRC, doesn't BinTube fail when it comes to RARed posts?

No, it doesnt.
:)
gilles

Postby BinTube » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:12 pm

BinTube Media Player streams a much wider range of binary content. In addition to RARed Video it supports Images, audio, dvd images, cd images, nfo files and more. Any of these formats are supported whether or not they are in RARs. It also supports Base64 and UU encoded posts in addition to YEncoded ones. It also performs automatic repair by only downloading the required PAR files to perform the repair. I think it's also worth mentioning that while the "BinTube Media Player" name might lead some to believe that it's only useful for downloading media files, it's not so. The program can be used to download, extract and repair any kind of binary usenet content.

Cheers.
BinTube

Postby LANjackal » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 pm

BinTube wrote:It handles RARs just fine. It even handles RAR files that have incorrect file extensions as it is common on some newsgroups.
Apologies, my mistake. I'll try it out.

EDIT:You are aware that VLC is a GPL project, right? It appears as if you're distributing it as part of BT (the installer looks almost exactly the same), which I'm sure is in violation of the license.

Secondly, BT doesn't support more than one newsserver. I use 3 with 4 connections for each, so that's a problem.

Great idea, though.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby BinTube » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 am

LANjackal wrote:
BinTube wrote:It handles RARs just fine. It even handles RAR files that have incorrect file extensions as it is common on some newsgroups.
Apologies, my mistake. I'll try it out.

EDIT:You are aware that VLC is a GPL project, right? It appears as if you're distributing it as part of BT (the installer looks almost exactly the same), which I'm sure is in violation of the license.

Secondly, BT doesn't support more than one newsserver. I use 3 with 4 connections for each, so that's a problem.

Great idea, though.

BT does not distribute VLC nor is it a requirement to use it as a simple binary downloader or for image and nfo viewing.
The next version of BT will allow the user a choice of using VLC or MPlayer for audio/video playback and neither will be distributed with BT.

Support for multiple servers was not high on our priority list, but will be added soon.
BinTube

Postby LANjackal » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:24 pm

OK. Thanks for the explanation.
LANjackal

Postby BinTube » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I'm pleased to announce that BinTube now supports SSL encrypted usenet connections. So if you're worried about privacy or your connection speeed is being throttled, you might just like it a bit more.

http://www.bintube.com
https://www.bintube.com

:toast:
BinTube

Postby gxs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:58 am

What is the point of BT?

I'm an nntp junkie and I fail to see the benefit of http code?

Please explain.
gxs

Postby fut » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:00 am

BinTube wrote:BinTube Media Player streams a much wider range of binary content. In addition to RARed Video it supports Images, audio, dvd images, cd images, nfo files and more. Any of these formats are supported whether or not they are in RARs. It also supports Base64 and UU encoded posts in addition to YEncoded ones. It also performs automatic repair by only downloading the required PAR files to perform the repair.

Whatever newsreader anyone wants to use, there is no possibility of on-the-fly repair by PAR files. Repair by PAR files whether automatic or manual is an operation that is done after all of the RAR files have finished downloading. Apps like like BinTube Media Player start playback as soon as the first RAR archive is downloaded, and on Usenet that's asking for trouble.
fut

Postby rsrikanth05 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 am

Pay for software?
i'd rather use Grabbit wait till it completes and then watch it.
rsrikanth05

Postby BinTube » Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 am

Update:

BinTube Usenet Reader is free when you signup for an Unlimited Usenet account which is only $10.99.
BinTube

Postby zbeast » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 am

So how much is the software... I have my own Usenet service I like using.
This is a cute Idea... I'll set it up on my HTPC to see if it's usable in the living room.
Normally, I have to log into my file trading server. Download an Nzb.. run newsbin's, wait,
then wait for the file to be joined, scanned then transfered to the Ready to watch folders.

Anything that would shorten my work load would be welcome pay or not..
As long as the "pay" is a one time fee. i'm not going to subscribe to a downloading program.

Like how one usenet service and custom usenet-nzb downloader works.

I have no trouble with pay file trading programs as long as the program is clean.
number one reason I never paid for kazaa...
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby BinTube » Sun May 17, 2009 11:27 am

The basic version is free and the pro version is $29.95.
BinTube

Postby namaste2040 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 pm

where is bintube getting their usenet from? is it astraweb? highwinds?
namaste2040

Return to NewsGroups