Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Problem with Megabitz or my settings? (now fixed)

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Problem with Megabitz or my settings? (now fixed)

Postby geepondy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi,

About 24 hours ago, I purchased the 25 gig block from Megabitz using paypal for $8. I tried to then add as a server in Newsbin Pro but whenever I try to download, I get a "cannot contact server" message. I think the settings are pretty straight forward. I used news.megabitz.net as the news server, checked off login required and put down my user name and password, just like I do with Verizon. My user name and password work in the Megabitz web page control panel. I emailed them last night but have yet to hear a reply. I only have another day or so before the two day trial expires. I'm not so much worried about being out eight dollars, I just want it to work. Has Megabitz been working ok the past 24 hours for other users?

Thanks.
Last edited by geepondy on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geepondy

Re: Problem with Megabitz or my settings?

Postby Anon_ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:10 pm

I posted a similar inquiry several days ago here on slyck. I sent an email 14 days ago to support@megabitz.net and have yet to receive a reply.

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36984
Anon_ wrote:
939841 wrote:
megabitz is awesome, great customer service.

... when they're not passed out drunk on your couch watching your TV.

I'm starting to wonder if Megabitz is a 1-2 man operation with server rackspace rented at a colocation facility. I've attempted to contact them two times through their support email and there has been no reply in the past ten days.

There is a bulletin on Megabitz's main page about being closed for vacation, but it's highly odd that such a business would not retain support staff year round in case of some unforeseen event. Very disappointing. :(
Anon_

Postby geepondy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:21 pm

Sounds like I might be porked then. I think I'll see if I can keep my paypal from being charged before the two days are up.

Any recommendations for a newserver that sells block space and also accepts paypal? I'm only looking for some space to download some fillers, even five gigs is enough to start.
geepondy

Postby radioplatte » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm currently not having any issues connecting. I'm using Unison with the secure settings.

I'd think they would still check email every once and a while even if they aren't in the office. They are usually real nice to deal with so its likely if you're having issues they'll either credit you some extra or refund you. Hopefully they respond to you soon.
http://www.megabitz.net - Reliable, Value Priced Usenet Access
radioplatte

Postby Anon_ » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 pm

I'd like to think that they would offer to refund his money or make the situation right. At the very least they should be able to determine usage of the account, and whether or not there was an authentication issue with attempted logins to verify.

Part of why I chose to take a look at Megabitz's offerings was based on their interaction here on slyck. While some of Megabitz posts do appear overly aggressive, at least by actively posting on the forums, this gives off the impression that if there was ever a problem they could be reached. So it comes as a surprise, that I have yet to receive an email response either, especially after all the praise of great customer support from users here on slyck.
Anon_

Postby Hecks » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:24 am

They're back now. I'm sure they'll sort you out. :)

-Hecks
Hecks

Postby geepondy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:33 pm

No, they have not as of yet. Second email has gone unanswered as well.
geepondy

Postby geepondy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:42 pm

FYi, after three emails never heard back from them and have attempted to call their contact number several times today, always receiving a busy signal.
geepondy

Postby radioplatte » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:01 pm

I think their offices blew up or something. Status says the disks are on a rebuild state. Not sure what's going on. A little more info would be helpful from them, it's odd they are usually very responsive.
http://www.megabitz.net - Reliable, Value Priced Usenet Access
radioplatte

Postby gorlov » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 am

That disks are in rebuild state means they have had a disk crash in their spool, and replaced the crashed disks so the raid is now rebuilding to a fail-safe state again.
During that progress the performance of the system usually degrades significantly, but is restored when the rebuild is finished. (This usually takes a few hours.)

Regards,

Goran
gorlov

Postby geepondy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:27 am

Has this crashed disk status being going on for two weeks? My three emails were spread out over a space of two weeks and not one of them was replied to.
geepondy

Megabitz Is Down For The Count

Postby ShockWave » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:11 am

It's been going on for a while, because I only signed up a little more than a week ago, and haven't been able to use the service yet. Ninety-five cents or not, that's still unsettling. How about when the regular price kicks in. I would think I'm gone if it's not fixed soon.
ShockWave

Postby megabitz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:50 pm

gorlov wrote:That disks are in rebuild state means they have had a disk crash in their spool, and replaced the crashed disks so the raid is now rebuilding to a fail-safe state again.
During that progress the performance of the system usually degrades significantly, but is restored when the rebuild is finished. (This usually takes a few hours.)

We're not aware of any major players who use RAID for a news spool. In most cases, contemporary RAID solutions significantly impair the performance of a filesystem, which would mean that you would need significantly more resources. This runs against the basic "cheap Usenet" principle required by most Usenet providers.

As far as the status goes, it means we had a problem with one of the laptops, it ate a whole bunch of mail, we restored backups of all the mail, it ended up being unclear what had been handled, and so are currently re-processing about a month's worth of mail, because our company policy is to reply to all mail, and that was the best way we could comply.

We would agree that the performance of the "system" has degraded significantly, as the "system" (which is our support dep't) is not only having to keep up with current support, but also has to clear out a ton of older issues as well. This is taking some time.

It's likely that someone will criticize our choice of status icon. Be assured that someone already criticized us for having it green. Hard to make everyone happy.

We apologize to anyone who has had to wait for a reply. We're clearing things out at full speed, but it's still taking a little while.

Thank you!

Megabitz Support
http://www.megabitz.net
megabitz

Postby megabitz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:07 am

geepondy wrote:Has this crashed disk status being going on for two weeks? My three emails were spread out over a space of two weeks and not one of them was replied to.

Could be, if you had the worst luck. We were partially off the air for a day and a half while we drove out east. Cell modems are spotty, we only had that on one laptop, and anything that would have required querying the user database (which is about 75% of our support issues) would have been put on hold to be dealt with later. We weren't aware, but one of the laptops was actually deleting messages off the server, which isn't compatible with allowing multiple users access. We eventually figured out that that was happening, but in the meantime, we had a second bit of bad luck and the laptop died, one of those nasty "must reinstall Windows" affairs.

Unfortunately, the result was that we lost a ton of mail, both current (at the time) and older. Restoring it from backup was tricky, and left us with a full inbox with several weeks worth of mail. Since we have no good way of actually determining the actual status of a lot of these, we're going through and answering them. Again, in many cases.

Since there's still hundreds of messages here, I'm going to take the unusual step of cheating a bit and cut and pasting an earlier message from Newsleecher forums:

We did have an e-mail catastrophe. While out on the east coast, a problem resulted in a laptop eating a large amount of mail, and this has resulted in some mayhem. We've pulled all mail from backup, but without any way to determine which messages were actually dealt with, and with a mandate from the partners to answer every e-mail, we've been left reprocessing nearly a month's worth of e-mail. In short, if you haven't received a reply, you will be getting one soon. We will make it right for anyone who has been unduly inconvenienced. Most of our customers have been appreciative and understanding.

Please note that re-handling this many messages represents a serious challenge and strain. We're a value-priced provider, and we do not maintain tons of extra staff just sitting around playing Solitaire. Re-processing all this e-mail requires just about as much time as it would have originally, AND we still have to keep on top of incoming current e-mail, which is also increased due to the popularity of the 95 cents deal.

We do apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you!

Megabitz Support
megabitz

Megabitz Is Just Fine

Postby megabitz » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 am

ShockWave wrote:It's been going on for a while, because I only signed up a little more than a week ago, and haven't been able to use the service yet. Ninety-five cents or not, that's still unsettling. How about when the regular price kicks in. I would think I'm gone if it's not fixed soon.

The only recent problem which might cause this would be that we had to make some changes to the SSL service working with the load balancer. Logins to the normal news server have been working fine for weeks. If you're using SSL, make sure that you've closed and restarted your client, as the IP address changed. This seems to have freaked out a large number of clients.

If you're having problems, write support. We're backlogged, but it's safe to say that we're not out "cruising the boards" looking for people who are having troubles at the moment, so if you actually want a response, support@megabitz.net is where we need to hear about it.

Thank you!

Megabitz Support
megabitz

Megabitz Server

Postby ShockWave » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:17 am

I'm unable to connect to the server. I've been trying for several days now.

UPDATE: It seems to be working now. Slower than it should be, but I'll have to figure that one out.
ShockWave

Postby geepondy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Still doesn't work for me. I'm guessing my account never got properly activated. While the circumstances surrounding their downtime is unfortunate and I guess it's nice they posted a response on this thread, I still can't cut them much slack. They continued to accept our money, and it would have been very easy to post a situation update on their web page. I'll try a fourth email.
geepondy

Re: Problem with Megabitz or my settings? (now fixed)

Postby geepondy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:01 pm

I will give credit where credit is due. Tonight Megabitz responded to my first email and fixed my account. The best thing I can say out of all of this is better late then never.
geepondy

Problem with Megabitz

Postby ShockWave » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:25 pm

Anyone having trouble connecting now? Unfortunately, I am once again.
ShockWave

Return to NewsGroups