Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Best Usenet-provider

Postby max2 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm

squatpuke wrote:.
I'm shopping also....

Send a few q's into megabitz but haven't got a reply back...it's been almost 24 hours...

I'm also considering blocknews....

Is SSL really necessary?

Also, has anyone ever signed up for a 3 month package and canceled a month or so into it, receiving a refund? I don't mind paying for the 3-4 month package, but if things go bad, I wanna quit and get my bones back....

Finally, I have a simple cable connection and was getting about 300MB/s w/4 connections...I was able to get 15-30GB a month if I worked hard at it....and was wondering if maybe a block purchase would be better for me?

300MB/sec with 4 connections ? What isp do you have because I want them! Unless of course you meant 300KB/sec ?
max2

Postby frodneb » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:56 pm

I have had a local usenet provider and was unable to get some to the over 100 day files. I just switched to Giganews and am able to get all of the older files that I relish. If you are going the the more esoteric files I would suggest one suggest Giganews, but if you want the new stuff and recent files, most of your local usenet providers can probably do the job.
frodneb

Postby paniq » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I recently went on the giganews trial, and indeed theydo have excellent speed plus very long retention and I easily downloaded 180 day old files. However my current provider is less than half the GN unlimited price and has 110 days - I usually don't get anything older than around 60 days.

GN is the best, its just the most expensive, and I'd rather compromise and save
paniq

Postby SlyckRay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:38 pm

yah, i always tell my mates, giganews is like the mercedes of news-servers. Great quality and service, but you pay for it.

Worth it to many.

not worth it to many as well.
SlyckRay

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm

I have yet to be convinced that the cost of Giganews is worth it just yet. Usenet Server finally made some impressive upgrades and improvements, and I haven't had a problem with them since. If you don't want to spend too much, give them a shot for a month and see what you think!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby SlyckRay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:44 pm

SlyckTom wrote:I have yet to be convinced that the cost of Giganews is worth it just yet. Usenet Server finally made some impressive upgrades and improvements, and I haven't had a problem with them since. If you don't want to spend too much, give them a shot for a month and see what you think!

agreed, now that they have FINALLY fixed all their probs, they are back to being a great deal IMO.
SlyckRay

Postby paniq » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:16 pm

SlyckTom wrote:I have yet to be convinced that the cost of Giganews is worth it just yet. Usenet Server finally made some impressive upgrades and improvements, and I haven't had a problem with them since. If you don't want to spend too much, give them a shot for a month and see what you think!

That depends. Just imagine there's this program you watched as a kid, not available on DVD or anywhere. You occasionally search for it, never to find it - then one time a search turns it up, but it was posted 190 days ago!! Oh if only you'd searched 3 months ago, but you had other things on your mind then. If you had giganews, you could get it, but otherwise no chance...
Is giganews worth it now?

If you want to be reassured you can get old posts, and have decent speed, then GN is worth it, its just for most people cost is a significant factor and sacrificing retention to almost half for cost savings of over half is worth it when its highly unlikely they'd need the extra retention.
paniq

Postby buzzra » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 pm

The last week or so, I have been having completion problems, on Usenet Server, with posts over about 45 days old. Anyone else? All the files only have 1 or 2 parts.
buzzra

Postby SleepyOne » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 am

buzzra wrote:The last week or so, I have been having completion problems, on Usenet Server, with posts over about 45 days old. Anyone else? All the files only have 1 or 2 parts.

You are most likely experiencing the "SSL issue".
UNS has a problem with their software, which will give ssl-users random "No such article" messages.

Just use normal instead of ssl to avoid the problem.

Edit: just to clarify... the articles are actually there... it just reports it as not being there... if you just disconnect all connections (to UNS) and try again it will most likely work like normal... until the next random error occurs.
SleepyOne

Postby buzzra » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Sorry, Maybe "completion" was the wrong word. I am getting all the RARs downloaded but they are all are corrupt and missing parts, including the PAR files. I can download the same files from my ISP and everything is fine, even at 45 days or older. The problem still continues today. I guess I'll email support.
buzzra

Postby tehdoomsayer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:05 pm

buzzra - i am also having the same problem with UNS. just switch providers that's what i'm doing. i used to love UNS but over the past 6 months they've really let there service take a crap. i also notice i don't always get max speed on it, and i only have an 8 Mbit connection. with there constant hardware and server problems, missing parts, and speed issues they're really not the provider to be using right now till they get there shit straight.
tehdoomsayer

Postby JBONE313 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:22 pm

tehdoomsayer wrote:buzzra - i am also having the same problem with UNS. just switch providers that's what i'm doing. i used to love UNS but over the past 6 months they've really let there service take a crap. i also notice i don't always get max speed on it, and i only have an 8 Mbit connection. with there constant hardware and server problems, missing parts, and speed issues they're really not the provider to be using right now till they get there shit straight.

What service are you using now? I'm currently without service and can't make a decision. I think it might be Astraweb. 10 min from now it will probable change though.
HUH?
JBONE313

Postby tehdoomsayer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:31 pm

i'm trying out other providers right now. easynews is my favorite so far, but i haven't really gotten a chance to try much else. i also have newshosting and giganews which both seem decent as well, but i haven't had the time to really test them out.
tehdoomsayer

Postby buzzra » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:06 am

tehdoomsayer, I agree. I used to love them also and have sent them a LOT of business. Now everyone is having problems. I have been looking at other providers, but haven't found one yet. Giganews looks like the best, but they are WAAAY over priced. Please post about the providers you try and the one you ultimately choose. I'll do the same.

buzz
buzzra

Postby Kenrin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 am

you could always try megabitz, thats what i use. i used newshosting for a long time, they would always have some random problems and speed issues. then went to powerusenet because they were resellers of giga, never had problems with them but they just never updated their retention. then i found megabitz, the cheapest you can get with an unlimited account (or so i've seen, i haven't checked out the providers recently), only 10 a month for the quarterly plan. They got some bad press in this forum because two people had some corruption issues awhile back for articles between a few days span, but I never noticed anything. I know I probably sound overzealous about them but they are great, always answered all of my emails really fast too.
Kenrin

Postby wallace2009 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Newshosting is a good one, faster than usenetserver.
Last edited by wallace2009 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallace2009

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:25 pm

I haven't really been out shopping for Usenet service, but I see alot of people saying Giganews is expensive. From what I've seen, they aren't really that much more expensive for the service you get.

Retention is important, but then again 200 days sure is a LONG time. Speed it really nice, as well as the unlimited package for when you just feel like making a backup of the internet.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby buzzra » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm trying a provider named BlockNews right now. They have a 7day, unlimited, SSL, 12 connections account for $4. There are servers in the U.S.A as well as Europe.
There is a note on the status page from 4/10/2008 about problems with retention and speed on the U.S. servers. I just connected to the European SSL server and am having no problems. It is filling up my 8Mb Comcast connection. Monthly unlimited accounts seem reasonable as well as block accounts.

buzz
buzzra

Postby lagathy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:22 pm

whatever you do...dont sign up to newsgroupdriect lol...they are fing shit. :evil:
:twisted:
lagathy

Re:

Postby shevaberg » Wed May 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Andy L wrote:I've been on GigaNews for the last four months now, and I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

I'm paying $12 a month for 10 gigs, which might be expensive compared to other providers (I wouldn't know, I've never used anyone else), but the completion rates are excellent, and multipart binary posts are retained for 10 days. The speed is good too.

I been with GIGAnews for about 6-7 months and love it... a tad bit more expensive... but I use newzleech.com to find what I want to get the NZB..

I know there are prob. bettter out there.. But i have no complaints for 24 bucks a month for unlimited dl.
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

octanews is a scam

Postby bcrowell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:53 pm

I paid octanews $40 for an account five days ago, and although read
access is working, write access isn't. They say they want you to
email them to get write access, but I've been emailing them every day
and they don't respond.
bcrowell

Re: octanews is a scam

Postby stashy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:54 am

bcrowell wrote:I paid octanews $40 for an account five days ago, and although read
access is working, write access isn't. They say they want you to
email them to get write access, but I've been emailing them every day
and they don't respond.

Maybe they've all been on vacation this past week.

Octanews is a small outfit that's been around for many years and seems to be a decent company. A lot of people have been with them from the internet stone ages (since the time when servers with 10 days binary retention were considered "high retention" :) ) and I figured that most Octanews users were oldtimers who just never shopped around lately.

I suggest getting a free Google groups account and posting a complaint on Usenet. Groups like alt.free.newsservers or alt.usenet.news-server-comparison. Maybe Chris Caputo will offer you a free posting account.
stashy

Postby meesterjojo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:47 am

Well, I'm finally sick and tired of UNS. over *4* blind years solid (using easynews on occasion for fill). They're crap. The CS is crap. The plans are cheap, but maybe you get what you pay for?

Does anyone have any current info/gripes/comments on Giganews or other companies? I'm leaning towards Giganews (and honestly don't care about a minor increase in cost over UNS if it's better).

I never get responses from UNS/Customer Service, and live help tends to produce lackluster results (usually something to the effect of sorry dude, thanks for wasting your time).

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
meesterjojo

Postby SleepyOne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:00 am

I switched from UNS to Giganews.

No regrets.

Giganews is the best provider IMO
I have no idea about their customer service tho, as everything has been flawless since day 1 with them.

If you sign up via Newsleecher you also get a free newsleecher license as long as you sub. to GN, which is a nice bonus.

The GN Accelerator is also really great if you download headers.
SleepyOne

Postby meesterjojo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:11 am

Rockin. Thanks dude.

Anyone else?

I just got 2 emails returned as "spam" from UNS in request for support. Nice.
meesterjojo

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups